Gibson Brands Forums

The Best of the 1980's

Strumhead

Not the focal point but he wanted to talk spandex so we covered that. The bands I listen to probably wouldn't make the cut for an appearance in GQ.

Ah cmon Lemmy from Motorhead is one DEAD sexy dude.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right and you know this how? The 80's rocked hard, from the great music to all the sex and not fearing that your partner had something that would kill you. Back then you got a shot and your good to go; today its a death sentence if you pick up something. My Marshall 2203 and 1960A was less than $750.00; today its 2k just for the head.

I'll take the 80's over this crap today.

Sorry Guitarist but your off by a decade - Aids became a major concern in the United States in 1981 and 1984-1987 were probably the time of the highest level of fear and concern about the Aids epidemic or any health risk for that matter sense the black plague it was 86 when the huge fear of contaminated blood prevented many people from even getting needed blood transfusions unless they could find donors. The late eighties was the height of the Aids fear in the United States before it became excepted as part of life. Magic Johnson even announced his illness in 1991 and by then pretty much everybody had learned that Aids wasn't a death sentence.

Sorry Guitarist but your off by a decade - Aids became a major concern in the United States in 1981 and 1984-1987 were probably the time of the highest level of fear and concern about the Aids epidemic or any health risk for that matter sense the black plague it was 86 when the huge fear of contaminated blood prevented many people from even getting needed blood transfusions unless they could find donors. The late eighties was the height of the Aids fear in the United States before it became excepted as part of life. Magic Johnson even announced his illness in 1991 and by then pretty much everybody had learned that Aids wasn't a death sentence.

Well you're both right. I was out on the road playing in 86 when I was 17 and agree with Guitarist in the fact that there was a lot of fun to be had and was still a relatively safe time (as far as we knew). Aids was known about for sure but hadn't really gotten to the point to where it was very prevalent in the demographic we were in but we were definitely starting to get the warnings. I remember it being more concerning and becoming more of a wider spread problem with our demographic and age range when I was in my early 20's. Regardless it was a great time to be out on the road playing in a band. It was just fun. There were a ton of places to play, everybody had pretty big production, Tons of lights and fog and huge PA's. It was a blast..... Insert the song Memories here....[crying]

Well you're both right. I was out on the road playing in 86 when I was 17 and agree with Guitarist in the fact that there was a lot of fun to be had and was still a relatively safe time (as far as we knew). Aids was known about for sure but hadn't really gotten to the point to where it was very prevalent in the demographic we were in but we were definitely starting to get the warnings. I remember it being more concerning and becoming more of a wider spread problem with our demographic and age range when I was in my early 20's. Regardless it was a great time to be out on the road playing in a band. It was just fun. There were a ton of places to play, everybody had pretty big production, Tons of lights and fog and huge PA's. It was a blast..... Insert the song Memories here....[crying]

I would have to say you dodged a bullet if you thought it was "safe" in '86.

Congratulations but you couldn't tell the guys between the girls

I didn't have to live though the 80s, thank god, sorry you did.

I'll take this crap over hair metal all day, every day

Fuzz,

Don't feel bad for anyone who "Had to live through the 80's" I was fortunate enough to be born in 1969 and had very young parents so I got to cut my teeth on all the cool 70's stuff. My first albums were Kiss, Cheap Trick, Led Zep, Sabbath, Nugent, AC-DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen etc...

I was fortunate enough to be a teenager during the 80's and there was some great and not so great music during the time period. I can only tell you that it was a great time to be alive and playing in a band. Tons of clubs all over the US that held over a thousand or more people. Every night was like putting on a full blown concert not this play on a tiny stage in the corner crap that is prevalent now. I hopped on a bus with 20 bucks in my pocket with a band I had just joined when I was 19 and spent that whole summer playing from Panama City Florida all over the east cost until we finally worked our way back home.

I was in my 20's in the 90's and got to hear some great and not so great music and watched the live music scene take a nose dive. I was 31 in 2000 and have seen and heard some good and bad music over the last 11 years and still haven't seen the Live music scene ever come back to life like it was in the 80's.

If you were a teenager or in your 20's at the time you would know it was just a fun time. I got to see Metallica in an under 21 club that held about 500 people on the Ride the Lightning tour.

Yes I looked like a chick too and believe it or not looking like a chick got you a ton of chicks and trust me you could tell the difference[biggrin] Our generation didn't wait to become Rock stars... We made ourselves Rock Stars and pretty much lived the same lives minus the big money, mansions and Ferrari's. I can't say it enough it was just FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!! You should try it sometime.

Andy

I would have to say you dodged a bullet if you thought it was "safe" in '86.

I agree but like I said it wasn't really known to the teenage era of time. You were just stupid if you weren't being safe regardless...

I couldn't give less of a damn if I were born 50 years ago, or grew up in the 80's no matter how great it was, or 200 years in the future.

I'm here right now and I'm going to make the most of it.

Exactly! Ya gotta live in the moment your in... [thumbup]

Exactly! Ya gotta live in the moment your in... [thumbup]

I really do wish live music was prevalent again, I went to a battle of the bands and there were only two bands (Kankakee Illinois)

the silver lining: I could of went up there, played yankee doodle, placed third, and still gotten a hundred bucks. [scared]

As far as "safety" is concerned, consider that the "retirement community" apparently is among the age groups where there's a skyrocketing percentage of STDs.

Teens apparently ain't the only ones who ain't always as perceptive or careful as might be considered wise.

m

As far as "safety" is concerned, consider that the "retirement community" apparently is among the age groups where there's a skyrocketing percentage of STDs.

Teens apparently ain't the only ones who ain't always as perceptive or careful as might be considered wise.

m

You DOG you!!

Hey, I'm too young for that lifestyle. Ain't even hit 66 yet, still doing a 60-80 hour work week so no time for such. (Darn it.)

All kidding aside, I know of a 90-y-o who was "grounded" in a veterans' home because on his birthday he got absolutely plastered and didn't go to breakfast. A week later he was late for breakfast and they discovered him with a 70-something waitress who'd ... come visiting. <grin>

m

Fuzz,

Don't feel bad for anyone who "Had to live through the 80's" I was fortunate enough to be born in 1969 and had very young parents so I got to cut my teeth on all the cool 70's stuff. My first albums were Kiss, Cheap Trick, Led Zep, Sabbath, Nugent, AC-DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen etc...

I was fortunate enough to be a teenager during the 80's and there was some great and not so great music during the time period. I can only tell you that it was a great time to be alive and playing in a band. Tons of clubs all over the US that held over a thousand or more people. Every night was like putting on a full blown concert not this play on a tiny stage in the corner crap that is prevalent now. I hopped on a bus with 20 bucks in my pocket with a band I had just joined when I was 19 and spent that whole summer playing from Panama City Florida all over the east cost until we finally worked our way back home.

I was in my 20's in the 90's and got to hear some great and not so great music and watched the live music scene take a nose dive. I was 31 in 2000 and have seen and heard some good and bad music over the last 11 years and still haven't seen the Live music scene ever come back to life like it was in the 80's.

If you were a teenager or in your 20's at the time you would know it was just a fun time. I got to see Metallica in an under 21 club that held about 500 people on the Ride the Lightning tour.

Yes I looked like a chick too and believe it or not looking like a chick got you a ton of chicks and trust me you could tell the difference[biggrin] Our generation didn't wait to become Rock stars... We made ourselves Rock Stars and pretty much lived the same lives minus the big money, mansions and Ferrari's. I can't say it enough it was just FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!! You should try it sometime.

Andy

I hear you. The ability to play music back then was off the charts. It's just that not much from the 80s aside from that appeals to me at all. Its hard to find places to play now, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. So many bands that just came out that are huge influences on me that I would have missed out on

All kidding aside, the 80s were incredible for one major reason: the central processing chip.

I think too that as television was in ways "the" story of the 50s in parallel with a bursting of the economy and everything else, the cpu concept that made personal computers possible was an incredible change.

Yup, I think it changed music, movies, tv, all of the arts in ways, and revolutionized communications going into the 90s.

OTOH, the 80s also were to me quite synthetic when it came to music. I don't know if that's because I was in my late 30s and 40s or whether it simply was that way.

Guitars... well, we were in a period of major change in U.S. guitar firms and concepts and I think we're lucky some of those firms survived as such.

As I said above, I was traveling so much I hardly ever touched my 1970s "collection" of guitar stuff, nor did I update it. Frankly I saw no reason to even add much more than strings and such in the 90s and then... in the 2000s, it seemed there was more interesting and higher quality stuff that interested me.

m

Guest farnsbarns

I'd say some of you guys like to listen to music with your eyes a little too much.

+1 . During the 90s the 80s were looked back upon with disdain. I really believe though that the naughties and the tweens will be seen as far worse once the current taste for stuff like beiber, glee, and the Friday song has passed. I believe popular music is at rock bottom at the moment. Yet we still have the likes of the Foos, the Black Keys and whatever it is you like right now.

I was born in 76 so I had my musical awakening in the 80s. Then, when I became an adult (early 90s) I was like everone else and thought of the likes of spandau ballet when I thought of "the 80s" .

Every decade/era has it's low points musically, these are what's remembered and shown on tv as a "look how silly we all were" retrospective. It's genetically programed into us to remember negatives.

Guest farnsbarns

Maybe in the states I was in the UK most of that decade; it was great....

Fear of AIDS was huge here in the 80s I was 10 in 86 and I can still remember the ad campaign with AIDS carved into a tomb stone like monolith. We were even taught about it in school. I remember a funny story about my (then 8 year old) brother asking our next door neighbour if cows could get AIDS. (yep, I'm a country boy, lived next to cow farms for the first 19 years of my life) and no, cows don't get aids it seems!

Guest farnsbarns

Norwich was cool.

Possibly the most ironic thing that's ever been said. [lol] Sorry to anyone from Norwich.

Did you make it to Manchester?

Guest farnsbarns

Yes I got all over the country; Scotland and Wales. Cambridge was really cool since I love Floyd. Purchased my 2203 half stack in Nottingham. I loved everything about the UK, and a huge plus is your country has the best potatoes in the world. My only hate about your country was the potato trailers being pulled by very slow tractors.... I had a B Reg Mini and it was bought brand new so I had a mini before it was cool to have one stateside.

We have one now!

L reg so it just turned 18 this year! It's a bit different though, Still has a 1275 A series engine but it's producing more than double it's original power!! it's a bit quick. My brother (older one) used to work for THE mini tuning company in Europe, he was the race engineering director I believe, any way, we had tuned minis on our drive for as long as I can remember, my dad even had one until recently.

Re: potatoes, you sure you weren't in Ireland? ;) I never knew we had good potatoes, best asparagus apparently!

I hear you. The ability to play music back then was off the charts. It's just that not much from the 80s aside from that appeals to me at all. Its hard to find places to play now, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. So many bands that just came out that are huge influences on me that I would have missed out on

Fuzz,

I can respect that. There isn't much from the 50's that I'm really in to not that there isn't anything at all. Little more from the mid to late 60's, a little more from the 70's, a little more from the 80's, 90's 2k's. Over all my favorite stuff is probably centered between the Early 70's through the early 80's (83ish) but it doesn't just come to a complete stop there. I still listen and hear stuff that I like and influences me.

Just because you were a teenager during a certain decade doesn't mean that is the only time you will be influenced musically. I'm glad to hear your happy with the way life is and the music etc... during this time of your life. Usually your teenage and 20's are for most generations. Although when you see documentaries of the hardships that people dealt with during the depression, world wars, Korea, Vietnam etc..I'm not sure if they got that experience but they sure as hell made it possible for us just like the current generation of young men and women are doing for us today in Iraq and Afghanistan. This includes a lot of members on this forum who served even during times of peace. Although sounds like Guitarest made the most of it....[biggrin]

Anyway just so you know I'm 42 and in my mind I really don't think and feel much different than when I was 18. Just because the body grows old doesn't mean your mind does and I don't really see myself being mentally that much different when ( or if ) I am in my 80's ( barring disease) The only thing that seems to happen is that time just keeps going by faster and faster. Before you know it your talking about things that happened 20 years ago instead of what happened last year. And what seems like last year was 20 years ago....

Enjoy the ride brother it goes by quick and give us 80's guys some slack for enjoying and remembering "our time".... ( The hair on the guys may have been big but the skirts on the girls were tight and tiny!) [drool]

Andy

Andy...

I'm old enough to be your dad, but you kinda nailed it here: "Anyway just so you know I'm 42 and in my mind I really don't think and feel much different than when I was 18. Just because the body grows old doesn't mean your mind does and I don't really see myself being mentally that much different when ( or if ) I am in my 80's ( barring disease) The only thing that seems to happen is that time just keeps going by faster and faster. Before you know it your talking about things that happened 20 years ago instead of what happened last year. And what seems like last year was 20 years ago...."

I've got more than another 20 years on you, and there are times that ... was it yesterday or 50 years ago?

There's an Ian Tyson song that kinda sez it: "The sighing of the pines up here by the timberline makes me wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so; the years have passed so quick, the years all run together now... did I hold Juanita yesterday, or was it 50 years ago?"

Also, there's so much more music in your head the older you get. To keep the old, you kinda have to not listen to the new, kinda have to be more selective in what you hear and do because your head now has 100,000 songs instead of 10,000. Unless you're paid for versions/covers of the newer stuff, it just doesn't matter - not that it's bad, it's just that there's only so much you can do in so much time.

So younger folk (even if you're only 30) tend to figure you're "old," just as the bubble-gummers figure the 19-year-olds are hopelessly aged or incredibly neat. Neither, of course, is true.

Yeah, because the 80s had so much highly-produced, tight material, I doubt that most folks would figure I do any of it. It's not that I think it's bad... it's just not ... there ... for me. Pay me for an 80s show, and gimme a month and pay for it though... <grin>

m

The 80's ROCKED for sure. There will NEVER be another decade like it, EVER. So much I can say about the 90's(SUCKED), well after say 93, then it went all down hill from there overnight.I dont want to even talk about 2000 and now. The music scene is DEAD if you ask me. You really have to look around and listen to find any good music these days, and the concerts and just the whole music scene is dead.

Archived