Gibson Brands Forums

J45 MOJO

brannon67

Aside from the sound, playability, and looks, it has history behind it. Similar to the HD28: there's legend behind it that is fed by those buying new 45s and 28s because they want to own a legend. However, as special as I believe my new J45 is, I've owned many guitars that I can just start playing and not put it down for the entire evening into the early morning. The J45 is in that class of guitars, but there are also others. I appreciate all of them. [thumbup]

Why does the J45 have so much damn MOJO people? Why? Can you guys tell me this please....

History (How many things that came out in the early days of WWII at a price of $45 are still on the market, still desirable, and still made almost exactly the same way?). Provenance (look who has played them: everyone who is anyone). Sound (still the great-sounding all-American "working man's" guitar, with an all-American tone: maybe a little rough around the edges at times, but honest, soulful, and versatile). Continuity ( I can talk about my 1948 J-45 in terms that the guy who just walked out of GC with a new one can appreciate and understand.)

Need I say more? I certainly can.....

I have to make an admission. In the past I was not really a J-45 fan. I always thought they sounded too midrangey and lacking warmth.

Then I played an unbelievable J-45tv that had such bark and attitude I didn't know how to handle it. While I love this attitude it wasn't the guitar I was looking for and hence I bought the SWD.

Forward 12 months later and I've realised the J-45 is basically the most vesatile Gibson on the planet. Yes, it is midrange focussed but it can be caressed to deliver the warmest tone. It is a beast of a flatpicker and excels at fingerpicking. Backing a singer (to my surprise) it really delivers - I though that was the domain of the HB or J-200.

Take all that into account plus the best burst in the business you have MOJO, and a tonne of it.

Suffice to say my SJ has taken over from my CW as the 'go to' guitar in my stable.

Mojo ain't something that comes with a guitar no matter how long they have been in production - it is born of the interaction between the guitar and the player - where every nick, scratch. dent and dried tabasco sauce stain is a memory. You can't buy or even intentionally create it - it comes with spending time with a guiitar.

I thought mojo only came from selling yer soul down at a crossroads with a black cat bone... an all that.........

I never caught sight of old Scratch at the Crossroads (the one the old folks will tell ya is the true one) but I swear one evening I did catch a brief glimpse of him at the Beauregard Cemetery sitting on a tombstone, stroking his beard and eye balling me.

Archived