Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Classic!

That Blues Guy

I took a trip to Arlington the other day with my girlfriend, went to Guitar Center, and found this there! I played it, loved it, and had to get it! It's a 2005 Mik Les Paul Classic. It sounds great, but is there anyone that could tell me a little more about it? The guy there couldn't tell me too much about them, not even the pickups.

28vx0qq.jpg

IMG00420-20110715-0802.jpg

IMG00417-20110715-0800.jpg

IMG00399-20110713-1712.jpg

Hope y'all like it! (And know stuff about it!)

Check this thread out, the opening post will tell you what pickups

are in it STOCK.... I LOVE my CLASSIC!!!! 2006 DW (DaeWoo)

"Pictures of EPI Les Paul CLASSICS, please!"

Any Mods? Just Stock? What year?

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56132-pictures-of-epi-les-paul-classics-please/page__p__754861__fromsearch__1#entry754861

Thanks for that link! It's very helpful, although i've yet to see someone with the same color as mine, it's odd! I love yours man! Mine was made in 2005!

No mods yet, I was actually considering the pickups you put on yours, how do they sound?

Thanks rastus!

Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

300px-LpclasicQMT.jpg

• 2003-2005
  • Open coil Alnico Classic & Alnico Hot Humbucker pickups
  • Mahogany/alder body with flame maple veneer
  • Chrome hardware
  • Set mahogany neck
  • Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
  • Body & neck binding
  • Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece
  • Amber bell knobs
  • 2 Vol. 2 Tone controls
  • 3-way selector switch
  • 24.75" scale
  • 1.68" nut width

Colors:

• Trans Blue
  • Trans Amber
  • Trans Black
  • Trans Red
  • Wine Red

Thanks for that link! It's very helpful, although i've yet to see someone with the same color as mine, it's odd! I love yours man! Mine was made in 2005!

No mods yet, I was actually considering the pickups you put on yours, how do they sound?

Thanks rastus!

Immediate Differences - More sustain on Lead Notes, higher sensitivity to "Pinch Harmonics".

Bear in mind, though, that the stock pups actually sounded decent in the guitar, the Gibby

Pups just "hot-Rodded" it up!

The debate will be endless, but here's my $.02:

I've owned three Gibbys - a 78 LP Custom, a 79 LP Custom, and a 79 The Paul.

That was back in the day when the $$$ allowed such things. Ah, sweet memories.

Fast-Forward to the future....

I bought my EPI LPs because I've always liked EPIs, and Post-Military, they were

more affordable. I wanted a little more PUNCH (like I remembered), so I ebayed a

couple of "used" sets of 490R/498Ts for $110 a SET (normally $110.00 EACH), and

a couple of sets of Gibby Tulip Tuners at about $35 a set.

Also went with new Pots and Sprague Orange Drop Caps.

Did my upgrades, and haven't changed a thing since, and that was over 1 and 1/2 years ago.

I have the TONE I want, and the LOOK I want, and Cash-wise my total investment (including case)

on each guitar is about $500. I doubt I'd re-coup my total investment if I sold, but I'm not selling

them, I'm PLAYING them!

Another Link for you:

"I have Gibson pickups on my Epiphone, is there a difference with a Gibson?"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/64871-i-have-gibson-pickups-on-my-epiphone-is-there-a-difference-with-a-gibson/

Immediate Differences - More sustain on Lead Notes, higher sensitivity to "Pinch Harmonics".

Bear in mind, though, that the stock pups actually sounded decent in the guitar, the Gibby

Pups just "hot-Rodded" it up!

The debate will be endless, but here's my $.02:

I've owned three Gibbys - a 78 LP Custom, a 79 LP Custom, and a 79 The Paul.

That was back in the day when the $$$ allowed such things. Ah, sweet memories.

Fast-Forward to the future....

I bought my EPI LPs because I've always liked EPIs, and Post-Military, they were

more affordable. I wanted a little more PUNCH (like I remembered), so I ebayed a

couple of "used" sets of 490R/498Ts for $110 a SET (normally $110.00 EACH), and

a couple of sets of Gibby Tulip Tuners at about $35 a set.

Also went with new Pots and Sprague Orange Drop Caps.

Did my upgrades, and haven't changed a thing since, and that was over 1 and 1/2 years ago.

I have the TONE I want, and the LOOK I want, and Cash-wise my total investment (including case)

on each guitar is about $500. I doubt I'd re-coup my total investment if I sold, but I'm not selling

them, I'm PLAYING them!

Another Link for you:

"I have Gibson pickups on my Epiphone, is there a difference with a Gibson?"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/64871-i-have-gibson-pickups-on-my-epiphone-is-there-a-difference-with-a-gibson/

Sounds like the kind of pickups i'm looking for, although I really don't wanna pay 100$ a piece, hopefully i'll be able to find a set!

Did yours come with Grocer tuners, or those pictured in RTH's post?

Thnak you for your help!

Sounds like the kind of pickups i'm looking for, although I really don't wanna pay 100$ a piece, hopefully i'll be able to find a set!

Did yours come with Grocer tuners, or those pictured in RTH's post?

Thnak you for your help!

I've noticed that Epiphone likes to bounce between Grovers and Kluson-style vintage green keys. I think it depends on the year or parts they happen to have that month...unless they are specific about the type of machine heads used.

Lovely guitar but, I have to wonder about the designers putting gold knobs on almost everything, such as Black guitar/chrome pickups/white trim, umm lets put gold on it! A lot of the pics in threads seems like they have a surplus of gold knobs.

I wonder if anyone does unpainted knobs, so you could paint your own numbers in and paint the background, say, blue if you have a blue guitar?

Lovely guitar but, I have to wonder about the designers putting gold knobs on almost everything, such as Black guitar/chrome pickups/white trim, umm lets put gold on it! A lot of the pics in threads seems like they have a surplus of gold knobs.

I wonder if anyone does unpainted knobs, so you could paint your own numbers in and paint the background, say, blue if you have a blue guitar?

You know, I never thought of that! They look okay now, but it could look better if it matched the paint better. I agree!

I'm quite in love with my Epi LP Classic. Traded my Faded SG for it to a guy who had too many LP's. Here's a picture of it stock...

JuneGuitarPictures2011003.jpg

and here it is after I changed the pickups and some of the accents like rings, switch plate/tip..

July2011Pictures012.jpg

When he actually traded it to me, it had an active EMG in the bridge that was wired all funky, so I pulled it and put stock epi pups in it until I had time to dig out my Burstbucker 3 and Mean 90 to throw in it when I changed the pickup rings et al. It's my favorite by far now.

I'm quite in love with my Epi LP Classic. Traded my Faded SG for it to a guy who had too many LP's. Here's a picture of it stock...

When he actually traded it to me, it had an active EMG in the bridge that was wired all funky, so I pulled it and put stock epi pups in it until I had time to dig out my Burstbucker 3 and Mean 90 to throw in it when I changed the pickup rings et al. It's my favorite by far now.

I really love your les paul! What kind of pickups did you put in it?

Found which folder I had the photo of my classic.

I bought it thinking the pups would be terrible and the pots, switch and jack would be junk and need replacing. It's a 2004 model, I bought her new (sold it to a guy and a couple years later bought her back). She's been played a lot, gigged etc. The stock pups were great, all the electronics are stock original and with eyes closed, sounds as good as any "real" Les Paul I've ever played.

The classics were really nice guitars. Too bad they quit making them.

here she is.

P1190001.jpg

Jeff

@Blues: Burstbucker 3 in bridge, Mean 90 in neck.

@Jeff: She's a beaut. You must have missed her to buy her back. Nice.

I've been playing with a group of guys (we loosely call ourselves a "band") for years now. They are all guys who spend much more on gear than I do (Hate name dropping.. American Fenders, Gibsons, PRS etc..). They finally quit hauling their guitars with them and just play this one instead when we rotate between bass/guitar depending on songs. I don't think I can ask for a better endorsement of the quality of the Classic. Enjoy your new axe!

I'm quite in love with my Epi LP Classic. It's my favorite by far now.

The stock pups were great, all the electronics are stock original and with

eyes closed, sounds as good as any "real" Les Paul I've ever played.

The classics were really nice guitars. Too bad they quit making them.

I've been playing with a group of guys (we loosely call ourselves a "band") for years now.

They finally quit hauling their guitars with them and just play this one instead when we

rotate between bass/guitar depending on songs.

I don't think I can ask for a better endorsement of the quality of the Classic.

Just out of curiosity, I hit ebay and Guitar Center's nationwide "Used Gear" search,

turned up quite a few LP Classics. The market changes over time, and if anyone has been

thinking about one - they ARE out there.

I ebayed mine almost 2 years ago for $300 + $35.00 shipping from a pawn shop in

Florida. At the time, average price was around $350.00 and the Red ones were the

"Hot Ticket" and commanding the higher prices.

The Classic is not only a beautiful guitar to look at, but if you like a "Slim D" profile

neck, you can't beat it. I play mine about 70% of the time because I love the way the neck

feels. The thinner neck does react more quickly to temp and humidity changes, but that's the

nature of the beast. You just adjust the truss rod, let it settle, and you're back in business.

I'll post the Ebay search link, and the GC search link. The GC filter may not show the results

of my search, you may have to do nationwide search on your own.

Prices on these searches are ranging between $199.00 (GC) to $550.00 "Buy it Now". The ebay sellers

wanting those prices have consumed too much "GAHN-JAH", I believe.

As always, buyer beware, so your research. [thumbup]

Ebay Search Results:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=epiphone+les+paul+classic&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Guitar Center Search Results:

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

Edit: Nope. You'll have to type in "Epiphone Les Paul Classic" in the search terms,

delete the "100 miles from Zip Code", and check the "Nationwide Search" box, then search.

Hey That Blues Guy! I think I have your twin sister.... mine's a 2005 Classic. Can anyone tell me the color name Epi used? It looks more green than black.

As you can tell, at this stage of life, one of my LP's knobs was 'doing his own thing'. msp_laugh.gif

DSC_5025.jpg?t=1311798462

DSC_5022.jpg?t=1311798704

DSC_5029.jpg?t=1311798490

Archived