Gibson Brands Forums

Amps...

Riptide

Hey, not sure how many of you remember this but I had a post a while back about amps but I never ended up getting anything... I've been using a friends amp but I think I'm finally about ready (and have almost the money) to get my self an amp. Right now I'm okaying a Epi LP Goldtop Reissue w/P-90s.

Here's what I'm looking for in the amp (oh, and it must be all tube). Yes, I realize I can't achieve all of these goals.

1. Something in the $500 area give or take.

2. I want something really warm and bright.

3. I can't use anything too laud... I'm thinking 15watts would be good

4. Something with a great clean sound that reacts well with pedals.

(these aren't as important but would still be nice)

5. Good sounding driven sound... I like a really smooth drive. (think Fender Bassman type of drive)

6. Something that doesn't have a volume control.. I like the old style amps that you just have one knob you turn up to get the gain. (it just sounds so much better to my ears)

So I'm going to go to Guitar Center sometime and check out different amps but I want to know which ones particularly to check out. Any Suggestions?

Here's a few I thought of:

Vox AC15

Fender Blues Junior (or other Fender amps)

Marshall Class 5

Vox Nighttrain

Mesa Boogie Transatlantic (realistically this is out of my price range but it sounds great)

The Fender Blues Jr. is a great little tube amp and the overdrive and fat switch features are among the best available.It can sound lovely and crystal clear yet when you pump up the volume it has a beautiful full bluesy tone.

Blackstar. Second hand Marshall.

+1 to this especially if you like your gain.

Most of the amps you have mentioned all take pedals nicely, my personal fave for testing pedals at the store is the Blues Jr mostly because its soooo clean you can really get a feel for what a pedal does.

Wow..................The Trans Atlantic probably has more gain than you want.........

I never recommend Fender amps, but, the Blues Jr. might be perfect for you....

Check out the Jet City Picovalve head...5 / 2.5 watts......15 tube watts is a lot....

Wow..................The Trans Atlantic probably has more gain than you want.........

Check out the Jet City Picovalve head...5 / 2.5 watts......15 tube watts is a lot....

IMHO the Transatlantic is probably the cream of the crop for lunchbox amps right now, then again it does say Mesa Boogie on it :P

IMHO the Transatlantic is probably the cream of the crop for lunchbox amps right now, then again it does say Mesa Boogie on it :P

The Mark V and the Transatlantics are the first Mesas I've craved.......

It's my understanding that Mesa is working on a " Duane " signature amp head....Gonna be called the " Duane V "........[thumbup] [thumbup] ....

I'm addicted to small tube Amps and have quite a few including most of the Amps you listed. I don't own the Marshall because I have a 18 watt 1974 that gives me everything I want in a small Marshall. Out of the ones you have listed my favorite is the transatlantic which gets probably 50%of my playing time lately.

Small Amp closet #2

IMG_0440.jpg

I'm addicted to small tube Amps and have quite a few including most of the Amps you listed. I don't own the Marshall because I have a 18 watt 1974 that gives me everything I want in a small Marshall. Out of the ones you have listed my favorite is the transatlantic which gets probably 50%of my playing time lately.

Small Amp closet #2

IMG_0440.jpg

Friends don't let friend's amp closets have unsightly and dangerous saging shelves..........dang.....!!!!

( Particle board in the Retro household ????? I'm shocked !!!!! )

(LOL) Yep [thumbup] and it's even worse than it looks they are not even plugged in inside the storage cabinets. It's just a whole wall full of just regular old floor to cieling standard particle board garage storage cabinet's that's in the basement outside my studio space.

I ran out of "pretty" storage room years ago, and honestly I'm much more interested in clean and climate controlled space than I am in what it looks like. I have six cabinets that look just like this that are full of all kinds of gear that's not currently in use in the studio (including guitars). That way I don't need to sort through boxes and road cases when I need to find something, I just grab it, take it into the studio and plug it in.

I guess that I could spend 100k and buy Atlas or similar stands for everything if I ever decide I care [flapper]

GC is starting to carry the VHT line, I don't know if they have them in the stores yet but they are on their website The VHT special 6 Ultra is a great little amp. You can swap the stock 6V6 for El34 (marshall) 6L6 (fender) and they also sell a EL84 (VOX) adapter on the cheap. It has plenty of features. I think it is also has the most clean headroom of the little 5 watters.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/VHT-Special-6-Ultra-6W-1x12-Hand-Wired-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-H73575-i1884886.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/VHT-Special-6-EL84-Adapter-H73572-i1884883.gc

Guest farnsbarns

Blackstar. Second hand Marshall.

These are valve amps. The op wants tubes.

BTW, I only recently discovered that Blackstar was setup by a group of ex Marshall employees

Look in to a used VOX AC50CP2 combo and upgrade the tubes and throw some Celestion 30's in it. I'm able to get great clean tones.... listen to the (Deer Pr00dance)link in my sig for a sample of the clean tone.... And listen to the others below.

Maggie May solo with my VOX AC50CP2 and modified Gibby LPJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Auuq3LPZc

My daughter and I jammin the Stairway to Heaven solo passage... Try to ignore the mic clipping on the lead part... The signal was a bit hot and I wasnt paying attention to the mic levels [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz4HHJm_vJw

And a full blown metal lead and rythym tone demo using my single coil SG250...

Actually, my 3 favorite amp makers would have to be Marshall, Mesa Boogie and Vox. (of course the Fender Bassman leaves them all in the dust) The thing is, I'm just playing at my church so I can't exactly get a half stack and crank it... even though that's my favorite tone. Small amps with pedals just seems to be the best option for now.

Small Amp closet #2

IMG_0440.jpg

Nice amps! LIke I said the Transatlantic is probably a little much for me now... my friends amp that I'm using is that Epiphone in the picture, how does it compare to some of the other amps you have?

Check out the Egnater Tweaker. At 15 watts it is still damn loud. It has voicings for a Fender, Vox, and Marshall style. Although the voicings are not perfect, they are very close. It also has a bright / normal and vintage / modern switches. It is very versatile.

Valves are tubes, same thing. Brits call em valves Americans call them tubes. My vote goes for the Class 5, if you like a overdriven sound. Some of the best all-tube (or valve) distortion I've heard from a smaller amp.

Valves are tubes, same thing. Brits call em valves Americans call them tubes. My vote goes for the Class 5, if you like a overdriven sound. Some of the best all-tube (or valve) distortion I've heard from a smaller amp.

Hmm... I think I'll start calling them valves... that sounds cooler!

Vox AC4TV 4W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp i tried this thing out guitar center great sound all tube it can get louder than you think it would but its not gunna kill you i would look into this only 250$ and its not master volume like you want

DV016_Jpg_Large_476326.146_cream_V.jpg

Vox AC4TV 4W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp i tried this thing out guitar center great sound all tube it can get louder than you think it would but its not gunna kill you i would look into this only 250$ and its not master volume like you want

DV016_Jpg_Large_476326.146_cream_V.jpg

thebest part is it has watt settings 4 1 and 1/4 so you can hit its sweet spot at talking level if you want on the 1/4 setting [thumbup]

Archived