Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite Chord

albertjohn

whaddya mean the ADGB open.....

.....i'm trying to show it the way I see it if I were to look at the fretboard whilst playing.

Only open strings are the E's if the root is also in E.

Imagine you are playing the traditional B7th shape with an additional note on the B string.....

and here I have drawn the frets in:

e| - | - | - | - |

B| - | - | o | - |

G| - | o | - | - |

D| o | - | - | - |

A| - | 0 | - | - | root

E| - | - | - | - |

| - | is a fret with NO finger on it

| o | is a fret WITH a finger on it

I don't read music, I don't know any tab or tablature systems.

I just use my ears and what other pickers have shown me over the years, so I hope that makes sense to you TW.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

......or for B7#9

X2123X

2 on the a string = B (root)

1 on the d string = D# (maj 3rd)

2 on the g string = G (7th dominant)

3 on the b string = D (#9th)

Great chord Nik and I can hear Mary Had A Little Lamb straight away. What key is it in?

anyone know what G#+ is? I came across it in the Beatles "Something"' date=' but I dunno what + is.[/quote']

"+" means augmented, i.e 5th sharp. For example, in G# instead of playing the tonic chord G#-C-D# you'd play G#-C-E. It's dissonant but nice in the right place. Probably the most usual way to play G#+ is xx6554. You can use that shape to play augmented chords in any key. If you can hook the low E with your thumb, you have 4x6554.

Inverting G#-C-E gives you C-E-G#, or C+, or E-G#-C, which is E+. Same notes, different chord, like the dim7 chords.

I use A+ in Fred Neil's "Yonder Come the Blues" in the progression D7-Ddim7-Em7-A+-D(7). It's a lot easier than it looks, especially effective in drop-D, and very bluesy.

Thanks TWilson and BS, I wondered if + meant augmented, but didn't find reference to it. I gotta practice a bit more to play those chords.

TWilson- that's an interesting website, I book marked it. Also, I had an Alvarez AD-60S 12-string, it was really nice and solid. But I sold it when I found an Alvarez 5058 9-string. The AD-60S was a much nicer guitar, but the 5058 is so unusual I had to keep it. :-k

As "Magnus" mentioned: E add9, (024100). I just love that chord. And, take that to (044200) and you have some pretty and very easy stuff to play with. My own personal "home" on a guitar is (007600) and I go from there. My hands land there first.

I sure like this thread! It's surprising how many folks like plain old Major or Minor flavors.

JamesHunterRoss makes a very interesting point in the context of this thread. He said:

It's surprising how many folks like plain old Major or Minor flavors.

Its all down to psycho-acoustics. The further away from the major chord you move, the less 'comfortable' it sounds, the single step to minor is very acceptable, but the next steps lead the western ear into more 'challenging' tonal relationships. The tie-up with mathematical ratios is fascinating (take a listen to my 4Pi-Pie) and the ethnic dimension is worth noting - oriental and eastern ears are much more sophisticated than our western lug-holes.

That is why (for example) Arabic or Chinese music sounds so 'weird' to the western ear - they use and are comfortable with micro-tonal scales and dissonant intervals which we find hard to accept. So JHR's comment might actually require the caveat 'in the west' appended to it.

I play a lot of chords that I don't even know the name of. I recently got this program that allows you to highlight the strings and it will tell you what the name(s) of the chords are.....for example, here's a chord I made up.......

Here's the names of the chord shown by the program: Bm7, D6/B, Asus 2 add11, Asus 4 add9

So I'm not looking for a degree in Musicology, so don't need to know all these names, but it does sound good. Another thing I like to do is to make a regular chord like E, and slide it up the neck til I find something that sounds good....sounds interesting at the 3, 4,6,8, 9,11 fret and so on.....but what would you call these chords....who knows...

Stop you fools - the public must never know that all we do is move the same old chords up and down the neck, they think we do magic, and we must not disillusion them, otherwise how can we pull chicks with our awesome guitar talents..... If they know 'tis mere smoke and mirrors, why, they might lynch us !!!!!

Stop you fools - the public must never know that all we do is move the same old chords up and down the neck' date=' [u']they[/u] think we do magic, and we must not disillusion them, otherwise how can we pull chicks with our awesome guitar talents..... If they know 'tis mere smoke and mirrors, why, they might lynch us !!!!!

lol. i always thought that harmonics were the best way to wow them. 1st string, 5th fret - PING!!! and they legions of groupies would just stare, gape-mouthed, in amazement. "OMG! how did he make that incredible sound? he must be a god. let's sleep with him."

Archived