Gibson Brands Forums

The Tim Jr.

Tim Plains

I've posted this on another forum, but haven't gotten any real feedback/suggestions.

Thought I'd give this place a shot.

I'm building a guitar that I've temporarily named the Tim Jr. I'm using the neck from my Epi LP Jr., but I'm building the rest.

The shape of the body will be that of a LP Jr.

Right now, I have an Epi LP Jr. that's in pieces. I've sanded all the black paint off the neck and my next step is to cut the top of the headstock and form a nicer shape. I hate Epi headstocks, but you'll be surprised how good it looks when I'm done with it.

This is as far as I've gotten. So, I'm looking for suggestions. We're looking at a completely blank slate here.

The only things I know I want to do to it are give it a natural type finish, Stinger headstock and a Gibson CS type serial number. Probably T 9001. T = Tim, 9 = 2009, 001 = my first guitar of 2009.

Mahogany is most likely the wood I'll use, but again I'm open to suggestions...on everything.

Probably Kluson tuners, a TOM bridge and stopbar, one humbucker.

Basically, if you were building a guitar, how would you want it?

I'm doing this out of a carpenter's shop and I'll post pictures as I go.

Right now this is all I have...taken before I destroyed the guitar.

EpiJr002.jpg

EpiJr004.jpg

Put the pup in the neck position and build a blues monster, and put that Roland pup off the VG Strat in the bridge. I'd want a tapered body to be more comfortable when I play, too.

Do something unique and marvelous!

Go Tim Go!!! =D>=D>=D>

Hey Chan, I'm only going with one pickup; so, I don't know if neck or bridge position is applicable.

The luthier I'm working with swears by DiMarzio humbuckers. I don't know...

Tapered body...good thinking!

i was also considering giving the neck an asymmetrical profile...like new Standards.

i love it! are you taking orders?

It's probably cheaper for you to get a custom built guitar from Gibson. :P

Tim, if you want something really unique, try giving it a V neck-profile like those found on some Strats. By the way, which PU did you want to use? if you're going with a single I would recommend either a 57 Classic or a good Seymour Duncan; either that or a P90, depending on the sound you're going for. Personally I like Grover tuners best, but Kluson aren't bad either. as for wood... if you're completely rebuilding the body, maybe try making it really thin out of solid maple? I don't think that's ever been tried before. (btw, I'm talking SG or melody maker-thin.) I'm just trying to give suggestions on how to make this guitar really unique as you probably don't want to recreate something you already own.

Best of luck, Tim!

Yeah, I do want to make it unique. I'm not expecting to make a miracle guitar...just having fun, right?

I'm just basically repeating what I've been told. I thought all maple would be a good idea, too.

The guy I'm working with said the guitar would sound really bright if I did that. I don't know yet, but maybe I want bright...

Pickups...I think cost will be the driving factor here. A new '57 Classic costs around $120.

That a bit too much for this project. This is the first guitar I'm building and it's more of a learning experiment than an attempt at great tone.

Well, this is as far as I got today. Sanding's a b*tch!

EpiJr-October72008015.jpg

EpiJr-October72008013.jpg

Remember the old Epiphone headstock?

EpiJr004.jpg

What do you think of it now?

EpiJr-October72008052.jpg

adlankj - 'scuse my ignorance, but what is that second pup - the metal robo look is neat, and would sit nicely on a lot of guitars from old '30s f-hole archtops (where it would look Deco) through to the latest metal monsters. Very, very handsome look - so what is it.....

Kenny, I'll check out Guitarforce...thanks.

Wolff, I thought of that. A P-90 is a possibility...again, because it is a Jr., afterall. I need to look into prices.

adlankj, what is that second pickup?

ChanMan, I like the headstock, too...a lot! I know it's plain, but it's much nicer than an Epi, I think.

Silverbursted, I'm using the Epi fretboard. The luthier I'm working with said fretting is a b*tch recommended just using an existing fretboard/neck for my first project. That's also why I went with a bold on neck. If I build another guitar (LP), it'll have a nice board...and I"ll build the neck from scratch. I'll check out Dimarzios, too...thanks.

Yes' date=' I believe Tim got an R4 about a month ago.[/quote']

R6 :)

...it's in my signature. :)

I'd get a different neck, like Kenny said, go to Warmoth or similar and get something that doesnt say Epi on it.

A tele neck would look SOOO cool if it would fit.

Other than that I really like it, I'd go with Grover tuners, but that's all personal preference.

• 2 years later...

Archived