Gibson Brands Forums

Which P-90 should I get?

Riptide

Hey, I want a "Vintage" sounding P-90 in a housing that can fit in a humbucker spot. Basically I just want a real P-90 tone (soapbar or dog ear or whatever) in a humbuggy sized pickup. A lot of those like Seymour Duncan's and such just sound like me to a cross between a P-90 and humbuggy sound... and they even say that in their description. So what P-90 do you think I should get?? I was thinking of starting off with GFS Mean 90s.

You will never get an authentic P90 sound in a humbucker sized package. The physics are different.

I put GFS Mean 90s on an LTD, and they sound very P90-ish but they are a little thinner and a little brighter than the real thing. So it depends on just how picky your ears are.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I would check out some P-94 demos on YouTube.

I have a P-94r in the neck position of my SG Special Ltd. and while I have not done a straight side by side comparison with my P-90 equipped SG Classic*, the sound is similar. While P-90s and P-94s are not mirror copies of each other, I think the sound is very similar. Maybe the P-94's sound is 1/4 Jazzmaster soap bar and 3/4 P-90.

*my SG Special is a heavy chunk of mahogany and much darker sounding than my lighter SG Classic so any comparison would need to take that into consideration.

If you want true P90 then you need a real P90. The other have a differnt build and they don't sound the same. I have the GF ones and they are closer to a fender single coil (too thin) than a P90. What kind of axe are you looking to drop them into

A Strat copy. It has this REALLY bad sounding humbucker is the bridge position and i want to replace it with a P-90... actually I wouldn't mind having a normal single coil... but I never thought they made ones that fit in a humbuggy spot.

And this is why I wouldn't get the Loller. And I've heard of Loller's a lot as making some of the best if not the best P-90s.

"Our SCFH offers a very P90-ish tonality, with a bit more "airiness" and a touch less mid range. The output is similar to a P90, with enhanced clarity and chime. It retains some of the grit and "juiciness" of a P90, while allowing for installation in a humbucker rout with little or no modifications."

Have you found one that fits in a hum bucker space? For regular P-90 sized pickups, I really like Kinman. Don't know if they fit into a hum bucker space though.

No I haven't. =( I would prefer a P-90 though.

If it is a strat copy, is it like a strat in the controls? does it have a pickgaurd?

If it does, you could always get a new PG for it and go with a single coil.

One of the problems with strat guitars that use humbuckers is the way it is wired: single coil "strat" pups like a 250k volume and a 250k tone (the way a strat is wired with the tone controls for the neck and middle and none for the bridge has a lot to do with the sound).

Humbuckers are generally wired with a 500k pot for volume and tone. P-90's generally use a 300k tone and volume (or 500k/250 tone and volume).

Part of your issue might be these reasons.

If it is a strat copy, is it like a strat in the controls? does it have a pickgaurd?

If it does, you could always get a new PG for it and go with a single coil.

One of the problems with strat guitars that use humbuckers is the way it is wired: single coil "strat" pups like a 250k volume and a 250k tone (the way a strat is wired with the tone controls for the neck and middle and none for the bridge has a lot to do with the sound).

Humbuckers are generally wired with a 500k pot for volume and tone. P-90's generally use a 300k tone and volume (or 500k/250 tone and volume).

Part of your issue might be these reasons.

Thank you, you'er probably right! It has one volume knob one tone knob and a 5 way selector. The humbucker sounds really nasally and flat... and muddy. That's what I'm trying to fix... and the middle and neck pick up don't sound great because it's not that great of a guitar but they at least let the tone of the guitar through where the humbuggy just sucks all the tone out of it.

So if I got a P90 would it work with the pots or not?

They will all work-poeple replace the bridge pups in strats to humbuckers all the time, as well as p-90's.

I am not able to say with any experience what a lot of the humbucker sized p-90's sound like, or what value pots they are designed to sound best with. Some (or all) may be designed to use a 500k pot.

When it comes to humbuckers, there are actually quite a lot designed to sound GOOD with a coil split, and in most strat set ups, they are wired without the tone control, so only having one volume control at 250k is closer to a 500k volume and a 500k tone pot (as opposed to having both a volume and tone at 250k).

Hope that helps any in considering what you might want to do.

Archived