Gibson Brands Forums

I think I'm getting pedal GAS

saturn

I just got a Visual Sound H20.

For 20 some years, I was NOT a pedal guy. I played into my amp, and sometimes a chorus, but nothing else. I did have a wah for awhile but got rid of it when I got an ME-50 multi effects. Then, early this year I got rid of that too.

Well, just in the last few months I've aquired a DIY Echo Base, plus a vintage Ibanez SD9, DOD FX-17 wah/volume, and 2 Dunlop Crybaby pedals. Then I got a ProCo Rat II. Now just yesterday I got my Visual Sound H20 chorus/echo.

Lately I find myself searching Sweetwater, Pro Guitar Shop, etc. for more pedals. I think I'm getting obsessed! There are so many different ones to choose from. Overdrive, distortion, FUZZ ( [scared] ), chorus, delay, flange, phase etc......maybe I should have just kept the ME-50 #-o

Do you play out, at all? If you play "covers" (especially), you may need

(some) pedals. But, I run "hot and cold" about using them. I actually

prefer not to! Guitar, cord, amp! However..I DO use 3, right now...

1 distortion, on the rare instance, that I need more than the amp (at it's

"Sweet Spot") alone, will give, me. 1 Compressor/Sustainer, for (mostly) my

Ric 12-string, and a Boss Rotary (simulator) pedal, 'cause it's a LOT easier

(and less costly), than hauling around a Leslie, and takes up a lot less

"stage" room, too.

So, they are used sparingly, for only the actual songs, needed.

CB

I too am going through a pedal situation at the moment

After using many stomp boxes, I got a Boss ME 70 and was instantly captivated

Particularly with the vol pedal, noise reduction, delays, harmoniser, tuner etc easily accessible

I like to twiddle the knobs and have visual feedback

What I'm doing now is fronting up with other OD pedals....I particularly like EHX Muffs, sometimes with mid scoop

As mentioned, a multi-FX is very useful for covers....

V

:-({|=

Stein, if you like Big Muffs, you have to check out Skreddy Pedals. I've owned/tried a lot of Big Muffs and my Skreddy is hands down the all around best Muff I've tried. It just sounds the best, and the scooped/flat mids switch makes it more practical for playing with a band. Once you get used to one, the current EHX Muffs sound pretty lame haha

Saturn I know how you feel. I'm totally addicted to pedals. Mainly fuzz. Mainly Big Muffs.

Hope you dig your new pedal.

welcome to pedaholics anonymous! I have probably spent well over a grand on pedals this past year, traded, flipped, acquired a bunch over the summer especially. Its an addiction.

The only pedal since my Polytune should come in today, that is left on my list to buy is a Malekko LoFi 616 delay pedal. I use the Carbon Copy for clean style of delays, but I want the 616 for a kind of darker sound. I know I sound insane, but welcome to pedalmania!

PS, fuzz is the worst...

Haha I know Fred when I think of how much money I've spent in just like a year on pedals... I bought most of them used for good deals but still some of them were pretty spensive and I went through a lot of them. Still nothing compared to some people though. Lately my gas has been for diy projects and a strymon timeline. I want a lofi 616 too. I really like the modulation on the 616s.

Stein if you've never played a Muff then a regular old EHX one would be a good place to start. Just make sure you try a few and pick the one that sounds best to you because EHX's qc is pretty bad and the pedals can be really inconsistent. You can get a much better sounding muff for not much more money though. The current EHX Muffs are all pretty good but kinda run of the mill sounding and sometimes not very well built. IMO anyways..

... You can get a much better sounding muff for not much more money though.

Such as? I'm curious because I'm in the market right now for some fuzz.

I haven't tried anything out at the shop yet, but from watching videos, I seem to prefer the swollen pickle over the big muffs. If I understand right, the swollen pickle is a modified muff? Is that true? What else is out there to check out?

Sheesh, taken out of context, the above paragraph could get me in hot water.

It depends on what you're looking for I guess.

If you're looking for classic muff sounds check out skreddy pedals and stompunderfoot. I haven't tried stompunderfoot, but I've heard they're really good. I can vouch that skreddy is definately the bee's knees as far as muffs go. The mids switch is the best thing ever. I think they're like $180? Totally, completely worth it. They're awesome.

The swollen pickle is a modified muff. You might just be happy with that. If it floats your boat go for it. What do you like about the swollen pickle the super hugeness or the thinner, raspier than normal muff sounds?

Such as? I'm curious because I'm in the market right now for some fuzz.

I haven't tried anything out at the shop yet, but from watching videos, I seem to prefer the swollen pickle over the big muffs. If I understand right, the swollen pickle is a modified muff? Is that true? What else is out there to check out?

Sheesh, taken out of context, the above paragraph could get me in hot water.

Just listened to the "Swollen Pickle" on proguitarshop. Like it.

Reminds me of the old Jen Tonebender I had years ago. Should have never sold it.

Just listened to the "Swollen Pickle" on proguitarshop. Like it.

Reminds me of the old Jen Tonebender I had years ago. Should have never sold it.

I have one. I consider it more of a distortion than a fuzz because the main setting I have is for a "liquid fuzz" that isn't as hairy as most muff fuzzes, but totally worth it. IMO of course

Do you play out, at all? If you play "covers" (especially), you may need

(some) pedals. But, I run "hot and cold" about using them. I actually

prefer not to! Guitar, cord, amp! However..I DO use 3, right now...

1 distortion, on the rare instance, that I need more than the amp (at it's

"Sweet Spot") alone, will give, me. 1 Compressor/Sustainer, for (mostly) my

Ric 12-string, and a Boss Rotary (simulator) pedal, 'cause it's a LOT easier

(and less costly), than hauling around a Leslie, and takes up a lot less

"stage" room, too.

So, they are used sparingly, for only the actual songs, needed.

CB

Yeah, I do play in a few different bands. Although they all have overlapping members (that sounds funny)and only have a gig once or twice a month on average. Mostly covers, but one band plays some of the singer's original tunes. The ME-50 worked pretty well for what I needed, but I actually only used about 10% of the features on it. That's why I figured all I really need is a few simple stomp boxes. Now I find myself wanting MORE and MORE! #-o

It depends on what you're looking for I guess.

If you're looking for classic muff sounds check out skreddy pedals and stompunderfoot. I haven't tried stompunderfoot, but I've heard they're really good. I can vouch that skreddy is definately the bee's knees as far as muffs go. The mids switch is the best thing ever. I think they're like $180? Totally, completely worth it. They're awesome.

The swollen pickle is a modified muff. You might just be happy with that. If it floats your boat go for it. What do you like about the swollen pickle the super hugeness or the thinner, raspier than normal muff sounds?

I guess I like both. The pickle seems like a more versatile pedal, but for almost double the price, it should be. To my untrained ear, it seems like it covers everything the big muff can do, but can sound a hell of a lot fatter and dirtier if you want. I'm not really good at explaining what I hear. I need to go play around with them and judge firsthand.

The problem is that I watched a few videos a while back on the zvex fuzz factory, and I really digged (dug?) that. I especially liked the "Velcro" preset. But, that thing is way out of my price range and probably way too complicated for me.

I guess I like both. The pickle seems like a more versatile pedal, but for almost double the price, it should be. To my untrained ear, it seems like it covers everything the big muff can do, but can sound a hell of a lot fatter and dirtier if you want. I'm not really good at explaining what I hear. I need to go play around with them and judge firsthand.

The problem is that I watched a few videos a while back on the zvex fuzz factory, and I really digged (dug?) that. I especially liked the "Velcro" preset. But, that thing is way out of my price range and probably way too complicated for me.

Yeah in that case the Swollen Pickle sounds like it would be good for you.

The Fuzz Factory is really cool. I have one and it's my favorite fuzz pedal I've ever played. If you want I'll build you a Fuzz Factory clone for like $70 or so. There's a guy on eBay that sells NOS ac128 transistors (the kind used in the fuzz factory and most vintage gernanium fuzz faces) that are tested and matched specifically for the Fuzz Factory.

They seem complicated but once you figure it out it's pretty easy to use. They are really expensive. My Fuzz Factory is the most expensive pedal I've ever bought. I love it so much though! I use it all the time.

If I added up all the money I spent of effects over the past 20 years, I bet I could buy a couple of custom shop gibsons and have money left over.

I have a love/hate relationship with effects... sometimes I go without, other times I have so many pedals that I need a noise gate at the end and then lets not go there with my rack phase.

right now, I've got an obsession with dirt pedals - OD, Distortion, FUZZ!!!, Boost pedals.. you name it. What I dont' already have, I want. ...and for no other reason than tonal versatility. Lets face it, I've become a tone fiend since I entered my 30's and some stuff just can't be done plugged direct to an amp. I love how different pedals affect the amp in different ways to give the distortion a distinct character that no other pedal has... next on my list is a tube screamer.

At the same time, I'm also on the lookout for a flanger or chorus and might jump at it if the right pedal presents itself. In particular I'd probably be willing to do things that can't be printed in this forum if I could get my hands on a Zoom Choir pedal - love those pedals but they were discontinued before I could afford one.

My Boss ME 70 has about 8 or so OD options, each adjustable for gain/tone/vol....very usable, plus straight boost

A wrinkle I recently discovered when fronting up with a Big Muff for even more options

Is to add an EQ 'tween Muff and ME 70

The Big Muff can be a bit coarse-grained at times

So by mid-scooping I can get a delightful tight long sustain not disimilar to the 'Metal' type of pedals currently in vogue....

V

:-({|=

Yeah in that case the Swollen Pickle sounds like it would be good for you.

The Fuzz Factory is really cool. I have one and it's my favorite fuzz pedal I've ever played. If you want I'll build you a Fuzz Factory clone for like $70 or so. There's a guy on eBay that sells NOS ac128 transistors (the kind used in the fuzz factory and most vintage gernanium fuzz faces) that are tested and matched specifically for the Fuzz Factory.

They seem complicated but once you figure it out it's pretty easy to use. They are really expensive. My Fuzz Factory is the most expensive pedal I've ever bought. I love it so much though! I use it all the time.

Man, that's very, very tempting. Let me check out a few more and I'll shoot you a PM when I decide what I want. Thanks for the offer!

Archived