Gibson Brands Forums

Finding gigs for bands

saturn

Anyone else in a band here? If so, are you finding it harder to book gigs?

I'm finding more and more of the local bars are booking live music less and less. It's becoming all DJ's and that obnoxious Karaoke! Many places flat out told me they're no longer booking live bands. You can't blame the bars though. It's a lot cheaper to pay 1 person than a whole band and more people now days would rather come out to hear drunks try to sing Garth Brooks than hear real live music. ;)

+1. Very difficult. Many places also wanted us to bring our own crowd to guarante good attendence.

That used to be the norm back when I played out. We brought the crowd and took the door (or split the door), the bar got the drink $$.

those DJs and karaoke guys are a plentiful too. these days, that gear is so cheap that anyone who can operate a CD player thinks he's a DJ. since there are so many of them, they will all work for peanuts just to get the gig. when up against them, it makes it hard for a band to get a gig at such places.

Anyone else in a band here? If so' date=' are you finding it harder to book gigs?

I'm finding more and more of the local bars are booking live music less and less. It's becoming all DJ's and that obnoxious Karaoke! Many places flat out told me they're no longer booking live bands. You can't blame the bars though. It's a lot cheaper to pay 1 person than a whole band and more people now days would rather come out to hear drunks try to sing Garth Brooks than hear real live music. :-k [/quote']

I do occasionally gig with one or two other people and it is becoming harder. I'm an amateur and do it for the enjoyment.

But I agree - people are more concerned about seeing how bad they sing after consuming vast amounts of booze. We live in a culture where celebrity, and it's bed partner ridicule, is more important than observing and enjoying people creating music - even if ,as in my case, it's just mimickery.

I think it's very very sad but you can't blame the publicans. They have businesses to run and bills to pay just like the rest of us.

I've foung that if you can back your talk you can get gigs. I think venues are just tired of the level of NON professionalism going around lately. It's much easier to deal with one diva with a couple turntables than 3-5 with massive amounts of gear.

Try shirt tailing on an established band locally. Open for them for free and prove yourself then start branching out. And PRACTICE. I can't even begin to recall how many bands I've been on bills with that just don't practice and still think they sound good together. It's alot more work than most people want to put in and it shows.

I'm sure you guys got the ability so just market yourselves well. We can all beat these big pants wearing techno heads and wanna be wedding singers!! =D>/

I'm luckey due to the fact that I live in a small town that still has a music store. I know the owner quite well, she's a good friend of mine, and tries to have "Live Music Nights" - or mini concerts - on a monthly basis. I think I've performed there 10 times in the last year and despite the fact that we usually get the same people attending each time, it's still a lot of fun and is good practice. We may be getting a break however, as a couple good friends of mine just finished recording a full-length studio album (not signed... yet) and are in the process of setting up a tour, and we're high up on their list for opening bands. (Finally! I can show off my LP in public!)

Keeping a band together any amount of time has been the killer.

No doubt ....

It's gettin tougher and tougher to get and keep a group together.

Unless you already have an established fan base and a good following a lot of club owners don't want the hassle of a band...

Get a good versitile demo put together and shop it around.

From my past getting gigs wasn't an issue. Keeping a band together any amount of time has been the killer.

Hells YEAH! Finding serious musicians and keeping the bad coherent was a beotch!

+1 to opening for an established band... it was how we got started.

+1 to an excellent Demo to shop around

+1 to "tight is right ; no practice= you suck"

and + 100 to bring the crowd with you. Nothing gets you gigs better than filling the venue.

If all else fails, play every benefit and "freebie" you can work in. Get more experience, exposure and fans.

AXE, I admire you sir. I had the hardest time finding musicians to play original material. EVERYBODY seemed to think you got the record deal by playing cover tunes karaoke style.... O:)

Archived