Gibson Brands Forums

IRENE!

Steven Tari

Irene did not live up to the hype, I went for a walk during the worst part of it (winds topping an incredible 30 mph :o :/ ). By my estimation it was no worse than a summer shower on a windy day. Meh. She lost her steam before she got here.

Sad to hear about the lives lost.

Irene did not live up to the hype, I went for a walk during the worst part of it (winds topping an incredible 30 mph :o :/ ). By my estimation it was no worse than a summer shower on a windy day. Meh. She lost her steam before she got here.

Sad to hear about the lives lost.

Tell that to the families that are still stuck in shelters. Repeat this post to the folks that have half of their homes submerged in water. It may have been a summer shower for you, but not for others

Perhaps you should reword your post.

How can you complain about prices over there? You've had it so good for decades.

I pay $10.36 a gallon for diesel here in the UK. What do you pay?

I've just looked it up. The New York average in currently $4.22. But it goes as low as $3.70 a gallon.

Two thirds lower than here. Joke.

Anyhow. Take care and watch your animals in the storm too.

I know what you mean in some respects, but when I have compared wages of several jobs - including teacher, shop worker etc, in the U.K the pay is higher, so in relation I don't see (yet) a huge difference, I wonder if this goes across the board or just a few jobs?

For example, the minimum wage in the US is $7/$8 and in the UK it is just under £6 (about $10/$11 dollars). Also you have to factor in we get free health care too.

Matt

Tell that to the families that are still stuck in shelters. Repeat this post to the folks that have half of their homes submerged in water. It may have been a summer shower for you, but not for others

Perhaps you should reword your post.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I hoped the last sentence of the first line would clarify that she lost her power by the time she got up here (and that was my perception of it here not there), and the second was an honest expression of remorse for the lives lost and damaged. I never meant to seem so insensitive, truly my heart goes out to those who have been displaced.

So here in Jersey we had an earthquake (felt from VA)and a Cat 1 hurricane (first to make landfall here since 1821) in the same week!! AND don't forget that we had TWO of the top 10 ever recorded blizzards in 2010 (one in Feb and one in Dec). Not a good run. Luckily, despite the tragic loss of (I believe) 14 lives, Irene was not as "catastrophic" as it was hyped to be and pulled out of the area much much quicker than forecasted. Could have been a lot worse. Tough as Jerseyans are,,enough already!!

.... What's different about this Category 2 that makes it so dangerous?...

The storm was tracking right over NYC. Where do the big three news outlets broadcast from? NYC. The danger is that Bryant Gumble will get his hair mussed. [scared]

I worked a gas station on 9/11. On 9/12 we got a memo from the owner "DO NOT CHANGE YOUR PRICES. Our supplier and all other suppliers had agreed to hold the line on pricing to 9/10 levels for a week to see how things shook out.

One gas and smokes shop didn't follow that reasoning. They spiked the price to as much as an then-to-fore unheard of $4.00! The State's attorney sent officials out with a mandate to stop the gouging or we will use this here set of chains to lock your doors. The corporate office claimed it was caused by store managers panicking. and they were sorry it happened. In reality the store managers of these stores do not have authorization to set pricing on anything at the store, especially gas.

Archived