Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Prototype?

Gibson Artist

Ok, i was looking at a sale through one of my fav retailers when i noticed they had a killer guitar (limited to 25) and it was at a super price of like 1300. Well, a week later i finally have the cash in hand and its sold out but i see the same git with a different heading saying "prototype" and its like 1000 dollars more. So i guess my question is does prototype mean this is one they first made of this model? Do they only make one prototype if that is the case and how collectible are these things? Im still tempted to pull the trigger but if i were to sell it how much could i get for a prototype? Its an american made git from one of the biggest companies but im not sure how long it would take to be worth something on ebay.

Any info appreciated :)

Prototypes are not generally sold. The definition of a prototype is one' off, 2 at most to prove a concept design. These usually end up in the scrap bin or retooled into the next prototype. On rare occasions, they may escape. KSDADDY has/had a guitar that he is sure is a Gibson product, but bears a few features that he suspects points to 'prototype'. If it's got a regular serial number on it, it's regular production. It could be a special short run, but not prototype. If it really were a prototype, Gibson would be knocking on there door trying to figure out WHERE DID YOU GET IT? WHO DID YOU GET IT FROM? and, finally, give it back. [mad]

I suspect the retailer is stretching the truth a bit.

I've seen them escape the factory over the years. There was a J100 or J200 that was sold on ebay and it was stamped "shop" on the back of the headstock. Honest to God, man, it looked like it had been left in the snowbank over the winter just to see what the elements would do to it. It was non-playable.

My '58 C-6 was a regular production guitar but must have had some awful flaw because it got scooped up by the R&D dept for an experimental finish not unlike the Italian Vox guitars.... looks like it was dipped like a candy apple. The only reason I know this is via the provenance from Eddie Collin's son (Eddie was either given the guitar by Gibson or sold cheap).

The j25 I briefly owned was serial number 012. Not a correct number for 1983.

I've seen some Gibson electrics from the 80s that had decals clearly stating "Original Gibson Prototype". Most were variations on the LP Studio, maybe in an offshoot color.

There is at least one Mark Series acoustic out there that was a Gibson experiment in carbon fiber hybrid tops. The inner and outer layers of the top were spruce but with carbon fiber sandwiched in between. There were several tops made, if not complete guitars, with the orientation of the carbon fiber marked on them in degrees. One complete MK showed up on ebay but it went for over $1000 so I backed away.

I do have one non-Gibson prototype. It's one of the prototypes for the 1983 Ovation Collector's Edition, the extremely shallow cutaway one in grayburst. It's label says "Kaman Prototype" and the serial number is the date it was built, 12-15-82. It has stereo outputs where the production model was mono. Also it is missing the '1983' inlay on the 12th fret. They were numbered, limited edition and all.... Daryl Hall has #1, Nancy Wilson has #2. I tried to hook up with Nancy to compare notes and jam but she won't return my calls.

Prototypes are not generally sold. The definition of a prototype is one' off, 2 at most to prove a concept design. These usually end up in the scrap bin or retooled into the next prototype. On rare occasions, they may escape. KSDADDY has/had a guitar that he is sure is a Gibson product, but bears a few features that he suspects points to 'prototype'. If it's got a regular serial number on it, it's regular production. It could be a special short run, but not prototype. If it really were a prototype, Gibson would be knocking on there door trying to figure out WHERE DID YOU GET IT? WHO DID YOU GET IT FROM? and, finally, give it back. [mad]

I suspect the retailer is stretching the truth a bit.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-carpathian-cannon-mahogany-acoustic-guitar-prototype/4233770000000001335074'

Sad thing, the regular model of this was limited to 25 and was in clearance at 1200 bucks after an initial sticker close to 2k. I couldnt decide if i wanted it and waited, i shouldve picked up the production model cheap, now all they have is the "prototype".

By golly they are marketing it as a 'prototype'. Personally I think they are stretching the definition of 'prototype'.

What did they call the 'regular' production model?

They added the words Custom D as a prefix and remove the word prototype. My gf once saw a prototype prs in either gc or daddys i forget and it was like 8,000 lol.

Completely different animal.

PRS prototype = WIN

Gibson (or anything else) prototype = MEH

T-god the PRS prototypes are just overpriced regular guitars.

They arent even that good, i see the 80's prototypes all over the internet and they suck. [lol]

T-god the PRS prototypes are just overpriced regular guitars.

They arent even that good, i see the 80's prototypes all over the internet and they suck. [lol]

But have you checked the resale value? They always get sold for way more than they should... not so for gibsons and any others.

Archived