Gibson Brands Forums

Does Your Action Hang Low

Lammas Day

I seam to remember something on here a while ago about action but couldn't find it when searching?

Just wondering what you think - I'm well prepared (as in most cases) to be in the minority here ( :-({|= ), but all anyone seams to talk about is along the lines of "it's REALLY good the action is so LOW" - for me though, that a'int a good thing... not terrible, but why can't people see the benefits of a good high action?

Yep, if you're learning (or like Tony Iommi, don't have any ends to your fingers) then you don't want to make life difficult for yourself by adding hand cramp to the list of things to get used to when playing. But once you're a little more fluid, you've got good strength in your fingers, I really like the clarity of a high action.

Seams to me, to be a common mistake of the beginner to assume a high action means a poorly setup or just plain bad guitar, so I was just wondering if anyone else preferred a higher action or strived to have the strings as low to the fret-board as was possible?

I was always trying to get my action low as possible but since I bought a new guitar that had higher action and I didn't know how to lower it I just kept it that way. Now I find it's worth getting use to higher action for tone and sustain...

7eb8220a.jpg

I bought this Ibanez sa160 on a whim off Ebay. Only cost £117. The action is quite high.

But I love playing it. It's permanently in my lounge. It doesn't hold its tuning very well. But it's ok for practice.

It's made me think again over how low I have my action.

7eb8220a.jpg

I bought this Ibanez sa160 on a whim off Ebay. Only cost £117. The action is quite high.

But I love playing it. It's permanently in my lounge. It doesn't hold its tuning very well. But it's ok for practice.

It's made me think again over how low I have my action.

nice... it's good to know I'm not alone, not that it matters I guess but it's always nice to hear from people who share.

But the point that it was only until you might acquire a guitar which is already pretty high, that you discover the merits of playing high is the same for me, and what my point was really. All the time I've spent in the past delicately twisting a truss rod nut and messing with bridges to try and bring the action down, because it's inherited knowledge that LOW = GOOD, can sometimes mean that you're missing out on something that could add something else to your playing.

@lashurst - there's been a tonne of Ibanezascrouges I've seen on ebay, but I can't for the life of me work out if an Ibanez A7863 is better than the Ibanez F8938, when the RG2372 sells for £10'000 but the RG2371 you can pick up from ASDA for £69... I wish to hell they'd develop some kind of system there :)

I have guitars set up both low and then I guess it would be considered medium. I like the action to be just a bit higher on blues type music where you do a lot of bending. I do not have a guitar set up for strictly slide but my low actions are just not suitable at all for that.

I am heavy handed with my picking hand....and therefore I need a higher action so I'm not generating lots of buzz! Besides, I love the feel of the strings when I bend if the action is a little higher ;) You can push the string easier and not rubbing your finger on the fretboard so much. I do like how low action feels to my left hand, but I just dig in too much to have any guitar set up that way.

I can handle a higher action for picking individual strings, but for chords, I like a lower action. That's why all of my guitars are set lower. Plus, I am not a heavy handed player and use 10s and 11s on all my electrics.

I think that beginners buying their first guitar might be well advised to be asked how they intend to play, then have a bit of in-store setup.

That said, I think too that after a few years of playing and swapping guitars, which was a natural progression for me and most folks I know, we will suit the action to our personal playing styles.

I personally much prefer a set of light strings on a relatively flat and wide fingerboard and a low action. But I mostly play fingerstyle with a very light touch. My old AE steel string has somewhat heavier strings, but I used it mostly for bluegrass and old time strumming to back up fiddlers and such.

Yes, you're likely to change preferences with different guitars to be played with different styles and techniques.

m

I like my action fairly high...All of my electric guitars are setup to 0.075" on the bass E 12th fret...and 0.010" on the treble E 12th fret....For me this cause's absoultely no buzz, and still plays like butter for me...I use the StewMac Action Guage witch really helps getting everything perfect....

I like my action fairly high...All of my electric guitars are setup to 0.075" on the bass E 12th fret...and 0.010" on the treble E 12th fret....For me this cause's absoultely no buzz, and still plays like butter for me...I use the StewMac Action Guage witch really helps getting everything perfect....

You call that fairly high? I call it fairly low. [flapper]

Archived