Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic ...Any Thoughts?

jnstrom

Im seriously thinking about buying a Les Paul Classic. But can only buy it online (GC does not have one in the honey burst right now).

I would like to get some feedback from the forum. Is the Classic worth it (1899 on sale). What are your thoughts???

jnstrom, it depends on what you're looking for in a Les Paul. classics are nice, but you may have heard some complaints about the ceramic pickups (496R/500T) and the "snot-green" inlays. If you're looking for "the" Les Paul tone (Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, etc.) then a Classic is probably not the way to go. If you're a bargain hunter and still want to buy new, consider a Studio or a Classic Custom instead. If money isn't a big issue, I would strongly recommend getting either a Standard or a Traditional. (or a VOS if you can afford one.)

Is the Classic worth it (1899 on sale).

If you go to GC you can likely pick up an old-style 2007 or 2008 standard for just a couple hundred bucks more. I got mine (pictured in avatar) for about $2300 CDN after taxes. Best of luck, and remember to buy what feels right. My preference rests with Standard or CC, but in the end it's your choice.

Hope this helps!

there's a reason why gibson discontinued them. for that price, they are NOT worth it. they sell on ebay for about $1200 because they dont hold their value. basically, they're a plaintop standard with ceramic pickups and snot green inlays. now if you find an early 90s Classic or Classic Premium Plus, that might be worth a bit more change.

i had a 2006 Classic, sold it to fund a Historic.

Hmm....well, I had a cherry sunburst Classic but not anymore because I traded it up for a Standard. The things I liked about the Classic were actually that 500T pup since I like open coil and relatively high output. Being a Page fanatic I got a cover for the neck pup. The finish was a very nice plaintop that I really liked. I definitely didn't care for that '1960' embossed on the pickguard and replaced it with a plain creme one. To each their own, but I didn't like the 'Classic' on the truss rod cover and also replaced that with a plain one. To my eye, the headstock, tuners, the whole package looked like a Standard. Main reason why I traded it? I couldn't take one more night at looking down on those neck inlays. All in all, unless you are 11 and going for the entry level Lester, I'd avoid it and get something else since you already have an LP anyhow.

i was going to buy the classic,but had enough to afford the custom.i love the classic.if you go to gc make sure you check that guitar.i happened to buy my tele there.it was in excellent shape ...a 2008 hot rod.they,re good people to deal with also.but no luck with my les paul.had to return it.

I have a 2007 LP Classic Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I love it... It's light, easy to play sounds great and is more versatile than people think. he ceramic pups are very hot so if you need to clean up the sound just lower the pupps and it cleans right up but the power is there if you need it. As far as the green pick ups, well mine aren't that green they are more a yellowish tone. Sort of looks like many years of smoke filled clubs made them that way...

CIMG1509_1.jpg

I adore my 1994 Les Paul Classic. One of my favorites. The thin neck is the polar opposite of my '59 Reissue's Louisville Slugger neck profile, so its a nice change of pace when I pick it up. I changed my pickups out to a pair of smokin' pickups that are double cream color by a maker that shall remain nameless because they ain't supposed to be makin' them double creams, they just did them for me unofficially as a favor several years ago. If you like a thin 60's neck profile, snap up an LP Classic!

Im seriously thinking about buying a Les Paul Classic. But can only buy it online (GC does not have one in the honey burst right now).

I would like to get some feedback from the forum. Is the Classic worth it (1899 on sale). What are your thoughts???

I own a classic antique zebrawood... Nice guitar... I bought it for $1200... Well worth it...

I would recommend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Antique-GOW-week-33-60s-neck_W0QQitemZ260297881617QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260297881617&_trkparms=72%3A1421%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I am sure it won't go for more than 1499....

I own a classic antique zebrawood... Nice guitar... I bought it for $1200... Well worth it...

I would recommend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Antique-GOW-week-33-60s-neck_W0QQitemZ260297881617QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260297881617&_trkparms=72%3A1421%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I am sure it won't go for more than 1499....

nice but i don't like the script logo

Oh ya - duh the 60's neck that Mike mentioned. I only play those thin necks, so I didn't even think to include it as a feature of the Classic. Comes down to if you can live with the inlays it is a pretty sweet axe.

Hey GnR - are you going to take off the pickguard so its more like Slash's guitars?

I have a 2000 and I love it.

It has a Plus top, so cosmetically it's a winner but I did some mods to make it work.

Mine was never drilled for a pickguard because of the nicer top.

I put Grovers on it because I thought the "vintage" ones looked cheesy and Grovers would tune better.

I was partly right, they look better, but the tuning issue was more in the nut.

The ceramics SUCK.

I put Burstbucker Pros in it, and I'm 90% there.

I think the 57 Classic/Classic Plus would be ideal with a little more output in the bridge.

I like the 60 neck, of course it became an option on the Standard after I bought my Classic.

Good solid guitar if 1.) you can live with it as is, or 2.) don't mind swapping pickups.

They tend to be undervalued in the used market, but I would buy a new one if I found one I liked.

Nothing wrong with a Classic that can't be fixed.

My dealer has several starting at $1799, and that's an everyday price.

Probably a little less when they kick off their Christmas sale November 1st.

Hmm....well' date=' I had a cherry sunburst Classic but not anymore because I traded it up for a Standard. The things I liked about the Classic were actually that 500T pup since I like open coil and relatively high output. Being a Page fanatic I got a cover for the neck pup. The finish was a very nice plaintop that I really liked. I definitely didn't care for that '1960' embossed on the pickguard and replaced it with a plain creme one. To each their own, but I didn't like the 'Classic' on the truss rod cover and also replaced that with a plain one. To my eye, the headstock, tuners, the whole package looked like a Standard. Main reason why I traded it? I couldn't take one more night at looking down on those neck inlays. All in all, unless you are 11 and going for the entry level Lester, I'd avoid it and get something else since you already have an LP anyhow. [/quote']

rubbish - I have lots of Les Pauls and the Classic is just as good if not better than a Standard. Entry Level???? what are you on? Remember the 90's, the Classic was the dearer model, while the Standard was the entry level (if I use your logic). Both guitars are so similar that Gibson has now discontinued the Classic (Classic/Standard both = a Standard).

Hey GnR - are you going to take off the pickguard so its more like Slash's guitars?

wolff. slash is my freaking idol he is the coolest guy on earth and everything but i dont have to copy his style thats like stupid.. i have my own style and i dont need to be like that. O:) i did once; to tell u the truth, JUST FOR THAT! but now i realized that's like pointless man..

anyways i like my classic in any way..

w/pickguard or without pickguard w/humb. covers without humb. covers with one cover in the neck or with one in the bridge

i dont really caree :)

Hey, take it easy there buddy, just making a friendly suggestion and conversation. Personally I don't give a f**k what you do with your guitar.

So Slash is the coolest guy on earth? I didn't realize that. I thought it was a tie between Keith Richards and AXE.

Archived