Gibson Brands Forums

What's up with the AJ?

Lars68

The Gibson AJ consistently gets a lot of press and love around this forum and elsewhere. I know they can be found in stock at most of the larger dealers, but how come it's not a "regular" model and presented at the Gibson website? This guitar is too good to be off the radar of the general guitar buying public.

Lars

I have the idea that the AJ has been on and off the repertoire over the years.

It isn't really considered one of the majors, rather a – don't know if I could say dark horse – that enters the race once in a while.

Don't believe it is that 'asked for' in the wider audience.

I owned one a month last year, but it was outshone by the 45. Not talking volume, but character and charm.

Sold it to a guy who made it sing beneath his slidetube. Maybe I should phone him and ask how it developed. The guitar deserves it -

... how come it's not a "regular" model and presented at the Gibson website? ...

The website only shows current production models that any dealer can order. AFAIK, the standard AJ is still a GC-family exclusive -- they ordered several years' full production of standard AJs awhile ago -- and the ones other dealers carry are customs of one sort or another (plus some NOS, of course).

-- Bob R

My last visit to a local Guitar Center had me playing an AJ for an hour or more. Played some J-45's, but the AJ left me "drop-jawwed"! That is one sweet guitar! Like mentioned in this thread, a CANNON. Really got me gassing for one real bad! I had this thing for an SJ-200, but now I'm really leaning toward an AJ. Wonder where I can find one of those "Adi/Madi" AJ's? I believe I would buy one of those sight-unseen!

Wonder where I can find one of those "Adi/Madi" AJ's? I believe I would buy one of those sight-unseen!

If you're serious, you might want to try calling some of the big dealers to see if they have any. There haven't been any built using Madagascar in awhile, and there won't be any more in the future. These will wind up being rarer than Adi/Braz AJs.

-- Bob R

You can order an AJ from the following dealers (I think I have listed most of them):

GC

Truetone Music

Dexter Music Center

Chicago Music Exchange

Huber and Breese

Acoustic Music Org

Alto Music

Rudy's

House of Guitars

Southpaw Guitars

Fuller's Vintage Guitar

Apple Music

Guitar Showcase

Hugo Helmer Music

Janet Davis

Music Villa

Music Outlet

Earle Teat Music

Mammoth Music

Ken Stanton

Cream City

Washington Music

Reno's

Willcutt

All Music

Eddie's

Corner

Parkway Music

Music Emporium

Lietz

Bailey Brothers

A lot of AJ's on Ebay normally, at really good prices, under $1500 used.

My last visit to a local Guitar Center had me playing an AJ for an hour or more. Played some J-45's, but the AJ left me "drop-jawwed"! That is one sweet guitar! Like mentioned in this thread, a CANNON. Really got me gassing for one real bad! I had this thing for an SJ-200, but now I'm really leaning toward an AJ. Wonder where I can find one of those "Adi/Madi" AJ's? I believe I would buy one of those sight-unseen!

You can order an AJ from the following dealers (I think I have listed most of them):

GC

Truetone Music ...

So that's GC and Five Star Dealers, right Vincent?

Of course, any dealer can order a non-standard AJ. For example, Wildwood has a bunch with Adi tops.

-- Bob R

For others like me, who are not living state side, the AJ is unfortunately very easy to miss. I have a J-45 TV and an AJ in adi/ madi. They are both great modern guitars, but the AJ is my clear favorite. After reading about AJs here and on other forums, I took a chance and bought one from the U.S. which I have never regretted. It's simply awesome. I have never seen one for sale anywhere here in Sweden which is too bad.

Lars

AJs are Excellent Guitars , ... to bad there not marketed better.. Ive noticed many customers in stores will tend to go towards the J45s more than the AJs.. and for some reason j45s cost more here.. I havent figured that one out yet..

I'm now on my third AJ over the past 20 years. The first two of these were standard models and both got played a whole bunch. Both were great guitars, good standard dreadnaught that is useful for a whole lot of styles of tunes, loud, well balanced, well made, and relatively economical. They really are Gibson's answer to the D-28, but without the bass heaviness. It is really hard to go wrong with one of these and I suspect that when people talk about inconsistencies, they are running into ones in music stores w/dead strings, poor setup, etc.

About 10 months ago, I got my 3rd AJ, a 2006 Luthier's Choice w/Madagascar and Adirondack. This is really an amazing guitar and that is not just my opinion. It is incredibly loud and powerful, it is like there is something the matter with it. This volume really helps w/the flatpicking, since you can relax a little more, not struggling for volume in an unamplified situation and your playing gets a lot smoother. I found this to be the case w/my two earlier standard AJ's, but this recent Luthier's Choice one is really a standout in this regard. It is the first acoustic I've owned or played where I can be in a circle w/some (loud) fiddles and be clearly heard when flatpicking w/out having to strain myself. Again, I'm still amazed by this guitar and so are lots of my playing buddies.

Beyond the volume, the AJ's tend to have good tone. You might think it lacks a little "character" at first, but I came to appreciate this, as it makes it really versatile and lets the player insert the "character" rather than the guitar. In other words, you can play your jazz numbers and not sound like you are using a bluegrass guitar to play jazz. The Luthier's choice one seems to have a little more ring and natural resonance, fwiw.

Again, you can't go wrong w/an AJ IMO. The standard ones are fine, but if you want to throw down a little more and can find one, the Madagascar/Adirondack ones seem to be absolute monsters, if mine is at all representative.

Archived