Gibson Brands Forums

Help me save a signature

AFD

Hi All, incoming wall of text :) A little story since its my first real post

I managed to acquire a Gibson USA Slash AFD about a month ago as my first ever Gibson. Having been a huge Slash fan for years this appearing on that well known online auction place at the time I was able to afford one and looking was fate I swear. I considered it for around a day and bit the bullet and clicked "Buy Now". 6 Days later the beauty was over the pond and in my hands.

Pics - My AFD photos

Pretty lucky huh? Well imagine my face 2 weeks later:- while in my local guitarguitar store chatting to one of the manager's he remembered I was a Slash fan and gave me 2 wrist bands to a special opening ceremony of the store where Slash was the Special guest!

Just prior to the event they alerted us that he wouldn't be signing any guitars :( . I spoke to the manager about it before the day and he suggested I bring it anyway as these things can change at a moments notice but to leave it in my car as I could always pop out to grab it. So my AFD in the car's boot out of sight I queued up on the day. I called the store from the queue outside to see if they'd relaxed the no guitar signing rule but was told "no" :( 1hr 30 mins later I was within 20 ft of the man himself when a PR guy came up to those of us at the front of the queue to say "No pictures and only 1 item signed per person" (yea major bummer about the no pic's bit) I took the opportunity to give 1 last stab at getting my guitar signed "The queues dying down at last outside, if there's time would it be ok if I go grab my guitar for Slash to sign?" I asked. "he'll sign it now if you go get it" he said. I could not Belieiiieve it! I dashed from the shop ensuring I could re-enter with my guitar and returned within 3 or 4 mins breathless.

I was giddy like a damn school girl with excitement by the time I was in front of Slash which for my 40 yrs is a sad state of affairs but I blame the being out of breath causing a lack of oxygen to my brain [blush] . I shook the legends hand and asked if he'd mind signing my guitar which he did. He asked where and I said on the back please as I span the guitar to place in front of him. He was reaching forwards for it at the time and god help me I nearly chinned Slash with his own signature series!!! [cursing] I'm never normally a nervous person but for some reason that day I was a mess :( I thanked him and made my way home ecstatic that my AFD had been signed along with a poster.

Which brings me to my main reason for this post (other than top share my silly story). How do I best prevent the Signature rubbing off

post-35935-021137700 1316288149_thumb.jpg.

Thanks in advance for any help about this as I'm reading a lot of mixed answers on the rest of the net I figured this would probably be the best place to ask.

Kev

Extremely cool deal.

I think a lot of times, a "signature" guitar is seen by some as nothing more than an attempt to make money, such as a guitar that is inflated in price to sell for more than it is actually worth. But in the this case, it is about being a true fan and the artist signing the guitar out of out of gratitude and humility, like an autograph SHOULD be.

Not to kill the mojo by addressing monetary values, but I think it might be worth it to consider in this case. If any Slash guitar is worth more because of a signature, I would think this MAY be at the top.

Unfortunately, the back of the guitar where the belt buckle is happens to be the worst place for most as far as wear. You could obviously make attempts to not scratch it or wear it there. I don't think spraying the sig with something would hurt the value too much, but it may not help either. I think if you want to preserve it, it would take a good coat if you want to play it often, and maybe even additional coats in the future.

Perhaps the easiest way might be to invest in another guitar?

yea slash is english i only just found out recently he was brought up in uk ..i dont know maybe it is worth keeping guitar as a collectors i am not sure maybe some one here could advise you..does it really affect the value of the guitar..but guitars are desgined to be played ..hope some one here comes up with a solution

Congrats...

Which Guitar Guitar store was that??? Was it the Epsom one??

Regards

Simon [thumbup]

Yea Epsom on the 15th September

I was quite surprised by that too!

Matt

According to his biography and articals I've read over the yrs he was raised here in the UK until the age of 5 somewhere in Stoke on Trent if I remember correctly.

Cheers for the suggestions so far, I guess I'll just have to be very careful with the signature until I come up with something.

Archived