Gibson Brands Forums

Silvertone 1448

EVOL!

I have been hunting around for a replacement bridge for my Silvertone 1448 guitar. The stock bridge has a single piece of rosewood as the saddle so it's not very intonate-able. I got one of these Danelectro bridges:

SB-5800-010.jpg

It's an exact fit so I installed it today with no hassle. Problem now is that when I check the twelfth fret note, the top three strings are sharp even with the saddles all the way back. Tuning is a lot better with only the open E being off, but I feel like I wasted $45.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I have a Non Working Silvertone 1481 Amp that would compliment your guitar, quite nicely (if it was working).

Thanks, but I have the amp in the case and it still works. Cool little setup. Heck, all of the old Silvertone amps are pretty sweet. I think the 1481 has an 8" speaker.

Seems to me all you need to do is figure out how to get a little more travel out of the saddles. I don't have the part on my workbench, so I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Turn the saddle around?

Cut a little off the slotted flange?

There's (almost) always a solution.

Thanks, but I have the amp in the case and it still works. Cool little setup. Heck, all of the old Silvertone amps are pretty sweet. I think the 1481 has an 8" speaker.

That's the one, 8 inch Speaker, silver "Tolex", with a Round Speaker hole. I'd love to hear one of those old Case Amps!

I have to believe Larry's right. There's gotta be a relatively simple solution with the bridge.

BTW, my first band in high school one of the guitar players had a Silvertone with the amp that was part of the case. Played with the case up in the air it actually wasn't bad as I recall - but there wasn't a lotta volume compared to nowadays.

m

It's time to start hackin **** up.

Do you think maybe it's the nut? Just a guess. I don't really know what I'm talkin about. I don't even know how to set the intotation on my guitars..

Those old Silvertone guitars sound and look awesome though! Bonus points if it's a hideous shade of pink or something.

Seems to me all you need to do is figure out how to get a little more travel out of the saddles. I don't have the part on my workbench, so I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Turn the saddle around?

Cut a little off the slotted flange?

There's (almost) always a solution.

I'll take a look at it again tonight. I tried turning one of the saddles around, but because of the angle of the bridge (it does not rest flat, the neck side angles up) the string touches the flange. Might try raising that back mounting screw to make the bridge parallel to the guitar body. The bridge won't be touching the guitar at that point, but intonation is more important to me.

when did you get a silvertone guitar? why you keeping these secrets from me man?

I've had one for years, just didn't bring it out because of the intonation issues. It is a fun guitar with a very unique sound. Beck Hansen and Grizzly Bear rock 'em.

btw, I'm gonna shoot you off an email in a little bit, so check them inboxes!

word.

Hey, we recorded some very rough demos this past weekend. The vocals sound like a$$ because they are over modulated [sad] Going to re-record some of them and get it posted on myspace so the world can hear my craptastic band. ETA one week.

I've had one for years, just didn't bring it out because of the intonation issues. It is a fun guitar with a very unique sound. Beck Hansen and Grizzly Bear rock 'em.

word.

Hey, we recorded some very rough demos this past weekend. The vocals sound like a$$ because they are over modulated [sad] Going to re-record some of them and get it posted on myspace so the world can hear my craptastic band. ETA one week.

Intonation is for squares [laugh] Just rock out some root position fuzz, and it'll be alright. They have some pretty whacky sounds, great if that's what you are going for

Yeah, just let me know when you post em up, love to give it a listen

You mean this picture?

Yes! Nice collection. Is that a Travis Bean I see in the upper left?

I'm with Nat. Mines bone stock. Never found any reason to replace anything on it. I actually used it to record the closing song that gets played on all the Six String Bliss shows.

Sorry, I could not. The intonation was so bad it was unplayable. Now I can at least come to low volume jam sessions with an in tune guitar and let my bad playing run them out of the room. [biggrin]

do you have any pics of the 1448?

I've had a 1964 Silvertone 1446 for about 32 years.. It came with Gibson mini humbuckers, although some sites claim they are p90's. It is an awesome guitar!

I'll try to get some photos posted tonight.

Your Silvertone is ace. The 1446 is the crème de la crème of Silvertones.

Archived