Gibson Brands Forums

She's ready

EVOL!

Looks awesome. I really admire how you aren't afraid to make major changes to your guitars so that they fit your playing tastes. Now you have two EVOL signature model SG's! Also, nice grain on there man.

Thanks, brother. The patches are stuck to the pickguard so I won't have adhesive damage the nitrocellulose finish. The Bigsbys are a no turning back mod, but I plan on having this guitar forever. If I wasn't going to be cremated I'd request to be buried with it.

Haha, the singer in my band had a similar looking guitar with p90s and all only it was a '62 SG (until he smashed it to bits at a show last week).

First, what is a " singer " doing with an SG ??? Also, I just moved my storage from a facility I'm suing to a better place....

While there, I brought home the headstock of a wonderful SG I smashed to smithereens back in 1994...That's the last

guitar I'll ever have hurt on purpose.......

why is everyone telling Evol what to do to his guitar?

Its his guitar, and I believe he made the additions because he likes em [confused]

please tell me you promptly picked him up and smashed him to bits after he ruined the guitar

Nope. Like you say, "It's his guitar."

First, what is a " singer " doing with an SG ???

Ain't you heard? Some singers play guitar and vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...

The ease of bending depends on the overall string length. Like on Evol's mod (with the Bigsby set back) the overall string length is longer than it is with a stop or even another Bigsby mounted at the stop anchors. So the bends on Evol's would be easier as the increased tension from the bend is distributed along the entire length of the string. I did the same thing to my MM - moved the Maestro trem back a bit for easier bending - it's the 3 pup mod in my avatar.

I was discussing this with my gal the other day....I still don't understand the math...please explain....[confused] [confused] [confused] ....Scale length is from the nut to the bridge...

And, "they" say that the extra length going to the tuners affects the tension as well...Hence, on a Strat, the low E has less tension than the high E.....So, I

would THINK that the longer a string travels, the higher the tension is, making strings brighter sounding, but harder to bend strings....So, um, how is it that

a Bigsby installed further back, creating more tension, makes strings easier to bend ??? I ask this because, I want to understand, and also because, I'm

going to post a NGD soon of a modded S.G. with a Bigsby on it....I haven't decided where to put the Bigsby yet......

STRING TENSION:

The SCALE is the distance from nut to bridge-a LONGER scale will require the string to be a little tighter to bring it to the same note as a shorter scale. Longer string means a lower note produced, so you have to tighten the string. So, a 25 1/2" length tuned to E with the same gauge string will have a little more tension than a 24 3/4" length.

Regardless of how much string is left on either side of the nut and bridge, the string is still vibrating between the nut and bridge, so the amount of tension will be the same to have the same note regardless of how much string is behind the bridge or above the nut.

When we bend a note, we are INCREASING the string tension to produce a HIGHER pitch. The more we bend a string, the HIGHER the tension is on that string-It gets tighter as we bend it.

When there is MORE string behind the bridge, There is a LONGER length of string that has to be stretched to get up to the same tension and pitch. The amount of stretching to tighten a 28" long string up to pitch will be less than the amount stretching to get a 35" string to get the same tension.

So..a longer string length (the extra behind the nut and above the bridge) will not get as progressively tighter as fast bending, and may "feel" softer, but the AMOUNT you have to bend it to get the same pitch as a shorter length will be more.

sorry to resurrect this thread, but DAMN that is one nice looking SG!! [thumbup] where did you get those silver top hat knobs??

Thanks. The silver top hat knobs came off my Sunrise Orange Platinum SG Special. It's the heavily mod'd guitar in my avatar. A few cats around here and the SG board have Specials from that series. They made them in Platinum, Sunrise Orange, and Black/Ebony (not sure what the exact shade of black is).

Archived