Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - '08 LP Standard

Heilly

Curse you Craigslist! I have got to stop looking at you. I should just make it my browser home page.

Couldn't pass this one up fellas. 2008, absolutely mint; not a scratch or ding. The S/N does have the dreaded "EE", however the font size is consistent throughout. Everything else seems legit, but I don't really care, cause she plays like a dream and is slowly becoming my #1.

Picked it up for $230 and included a SKB LP hardshell case, stand, straplocks, and leather strap.

It had to be done... you all would have shot me if I passed this deal up. msp_thumbup.gif

So here's the plan: Black pickguard, black speed knobs, black cover plates, black rhythm/treble ring. oh yeah, and black pup rings.

I will post pics when the project is completed.

The wife is going to be surprised when she returns from Germanymsp_ohmy.gif. I think she has finally stopped keeping track of all the geets. msp_tongue.gif

DSC_7294.jpgDSC_7297.jpg

DSC_7296.jpgDSC_7303.jpg

DSC_7300.jpgDSC_7295.jpg

It had to be done... you all would have shot me if I passed this deal up. msp_thumbup.gif

So here's the plan: Black pickguard, black speed knobs, black cover plates, black rhythm/treble ring. oh yeah, and black pup rings.

I will post pics when the project is completed.

LOL, you know it! [scared]

HNGD! Should look AWESOME with the black plastic...

BTW, couldn't resist making one with the black plastic in SC Guitar Editor...mind if I share?

Also, for any one interested:

Quick Cavity Covers

Love the burst! I am also looking to put black backplate on mine, let me know where you get them from. I can not seem to find any.

Here is the whole package I took a gamble on:

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_2627wt_1392

The parts are from China, but heck.... that's where my LP was made!

I ended up just using the pickguard and the back plates. I already had the pup rings, knobs, ring and the rest of the stuff from an older parts LP laying around.

Surprisingly, the pickguard is of great quality. The other stuff is pretty cheap-o. The pup rings included in this package were NOT per original spec (thickness). The trussrod cover lettering was not even close (but my guitar already had a black onemsp_flapper.gif).

The shipping was surprisingly fast.... ~ 1 week from Hong Kong.

Final assembly touches are tonight. Hopefully pics by tomorrow.

OK, don't let the awesome backdrop of my sweet *** garden in the original pics sway your votes. It's late here, no sunlight. So my crappy kitchen fluorescent lights will have to do for the reveal.

Do I like it? Yes. Do I think it looks better than the original? Hell yeah. Does it play faster and cleaner? You know... like when you got those new shoes that made you run faster when you were a kid? No. But bottom line is: I am a fan of the LP pick guard.

The better quality photoshoot of the newly modified LP Vintage will have to wait. Plus, my camera is on the fritz.

Here you go.

DSC_7319-1.jpg

DSC_7315-1.jpg

DSC_7311-1.jpg

Looks really really nice [thumbup] The black bits look good to these eyes......heck, even just changing out the stock knobs would've been a vast improvement - I absolutely HATE those cheap *** ugly amber stock knobs .... I put amber speed knobs on my honeyburst and it looks a lot better (even though basically the same color...not to mention that my stubby thick fingers get along better with speed knobs than bells....but I digress). ) Not a fan of scratchguards, but that looks great on yours. Tastefully done aesthetics, I say :)

Archived