Gibson Brands Forums

Fast Blue Grass on a J45

Duende

Okay, Matt, now if you could slow the video to 1/4 speed so I can see your fingers....lol.......Really, really cool, my friend. You're picking skills are awesome. I am jealous............and I truly enjoy hearing this. Great stuff.

IT WASN'T ME!!!!!! [biggrin] but I'll pass them onto him on his youtube page! LOL

The guy in the clip really inspired me - the tone he got from his guitar [thumbup] One of these years I really must get a Gibson acoustic. It is ridiculous that I am a classical/acoustic player and all my Gibsons are of the electric variety!

Matt

The guy in the clip really inspired me - the tone he got from his guitar [thumbup] One of these years I really must get a Gibson acoustic. It is ridiculous that I am a classical/acoustic player and all my Gibsons are of the electric variety!

Matt

That's actually the pretty stock J-45 tone you get from picking between the soundhole and the bridge: sharp attack, quick decay. It's the classic bluegrass flat pickin' lead sound, and it sounds pretty good on a J-45, as long as you aren't being drowned out by a chorus of Martin D's.

My old J-45 responds better than almost any of my other guitars to changes in picking position. It's as pronounced as the radical changes in tone you get from changing the neck/bridge pickup mix on an ES 335. That's one reason the J-45 is such a versatile instrument, and so much fun to play.

Really, Matt, you need to expand your horizons and get aboard the Gibson Flat Top Express. It's a fast train to anywhere! [biggrin]

That is nice pickin' and my favorite style to boot. While looking around for an high end acoustic, or I should say thee acoustic I thought I'd be set on a Martin D-28 or HD-28 but I found them lifeless or at least the one's I tried were. The Gibson J-45 was extremely responsive, a lot closer to the sound I was hearing in my head, though not as loud and I wasn't sure how it would hold up in a multi guitar unplugged arrangement. But did it ever sound nice..

The clip in post #1 shows a 45 with an orange label – else I need a doctor just as fast as he is able to play. Also it has no sound-hole volume wheel.

There is a Romeo & Juliet with orange too.

I've haven't seen the white yet, but he might own several models.

The clip in post #1 shows a 45 with an orange label – else I need a doctor just as fast as he is able to play. Also it has no sound-hole volume wheel.

There is a Romeo & Juliet with orange too.

I've haven't seen the white yet, but he might own several models.

True. I hate to be dumb, but what J-45 models other than the Custom are rosewood?

, , , but what J-45 models other than the Custom are rosewood?

RASHARU introduced the word rosewood with a question mark behind it, can't say why –

There might exist a Gibson rosewood J-45 Modern Classic and this could be it, I don't know.

RASHARU introduced the word rosewood with a question mark behind it, can't say why –

There might exist a Gibson rosewood J-45 Modern Classic and this could be it, I don't know.

Because I've never seen a white-label rosewood 45. It just sounded more like a rosewood model to me than mahogany, that's all. I'm a fan of the rosewood 45's for their unbelievable tone & bass response. I never knew just how prevelant this was until I had the Southern Jumbo (mahogany) to compare it with. Yes, both are extremely cool but the mahogany can't even come close to the rosewood in overall tone. Definitely "apples to oranges".

Yes, both are extremely cool. . . .

As a 45 fan I'd really like to try a rosewood model. Agree there's a significant difference between rose and hog, but as you say both woods are excellent.

Some see the J-45 and hog as a pair of truth – they might be right, still I'm curious about the slope/rose combo. A matter of time. . .

As a 45 fan I'd really like to try a rosewood model. Agree there's a significant difference between rose and hog, but as you say both woods are excellent.

Some see the J-45 and hog as a pair of truth – they might be right, still I'm curious about the slope/rose combo. A matter of time. . .

I'm fairly confident that if you ever play a rosewood 45, you'll never go back to mahogany .. (not to say you won't just keep both! [biggrin] )

I'm fairly confident that if you ever play a rosewood 45, you'll never go back to mahogany .. (not to say you won't just keep both! [biggrin] )

When I reach for rose after some time behind hog, I go : Oh yeees, this wood has it all – it's the king.

When I reach for hog after some time behind rose, I go : Oh yeees, this wood is so mysterious – it's the queen.

Archived