Gibson Brands Forums

Now a Jackson Browne Owner

junglejem

Greetings Folks

I just acquired a left hand Jackson Browne Model 1 (would have preferred the electronics, but lefties cannot be too selective!). I have been playing for 40+ years, and have been seriously buying/selling/trading guitars for the past 8-9 years. I can honestly say, this is the pinnacle for me. Better than I even expected, and I expected a lot, especially for the price. The deeper body and 1.8" nut are no problem...the guitar melts in my hands. Extremely comfortable. The neck is wonderful. Tonally it might fall somewhere between mahogany and rosewood. Definitely more overtones than mahogany. The guitar has a huge voice, presumably due to the extra depth of the body. Great balance throughout the neck. I gave up a J-200 and a Martin HD28v to acquire this guitar, and I don't regret it. This is now the only acoustic guitar I own, and the only acoustic guitar I need.

That being said, the case is quite cheesy, a huge disappointment. Very light weight, can't be a wood frame. More like an old chip-board case with a velour interior. The neck doesn't even rest on the cradle over the case pocket, and the interior is probably 6 inches longer than the guitar. I'm amazed Gibson would put such a classy (and pricey) instrument in such a low-budget case.

Maybe someone can help on this forum....how can I tell how many Jackson Browne models have been/will be built in left-hand configuration? I have to believe this is going to end up being somewhat exclusive.

I just purchased a HD-28V and slowly get closer to it these days. Know it enough to ask you how your J.B. compares to that Martin model.

Very different animals. The HD28v has that beautiful, classic Martin Sitka/Rosewood tone that cannot be beat. The neck took a little getting used to, but it wasn't a problem. Would have never parted with it except for the quest for a lifetime guitar. The JB is pure Gibson, but unlike any Gibson I've ever heard, if that makes any sense. More mids than the Martin, but incredible balance and clarity. Lots of low end without even a hint of muddiness. Much warmer than the maple J-200. And at the same time, the JB demonstrates a hint of that high end jangle that the HD28v does so well. Seriously, this is as close to a "one size fits all" guitar I've ever experienced.

Very different animals. The HD28v has that beautiful, classic Martin Sitka/Rosewood tone that cannot be beat. The neck took a little getting used to, but it wasn't a problem. Would have never parted with it except for the quest for a lifetime guitar. The JB is pure Gibson, but unlike any Gibson I've ever heard, if that makes any sense. More mids than the Martin, but incredible balance and clarity. Lots of low end without even a hint of muddiness. Much warmer than the maple J-200. And at the same time, the JB demonstrates a hint of that high end jangle that the HD28v does so well. Seriously, this is as close to a "one size fits all" guitar I've ever experienced.

Ah, yes, it's great to be in love......

congrats on an obviously great guitar.......Regarding the case, I would check and make sure they gave you the right case. My Gibsons fit snuggly in their cases. No wiggle room and they definitly don't have a chipboard feel to them. They have some real weight to them also. If you got it from a store, they may have put it in the wrong case....I hope you get a satisfactory answer and resolution to the case issue.

Regarding the case, I would check and make sure they gave you the right case. My Gibsons fit snuggly in their cases. No wiggle room and they definitly don't have a chipboard feel to them. They have some real weight to them also. If you got it from a store, they may have put it in the wrong case....I hope you get a satisfactory answer and resolution to the case issue.

That's exactly what I thought. The case for my J-200 was vastly more substantial. The dealer responded by saying this was the correct case because the "Certificate of Authenticity" was attached to the case from Gibson. Makes absolutely no sense to put a $6000 (MSRP) guitar in an $89.00 case. I'm looking at Cedar Creek and Ameritage as we speak, but I shouldn't have to go to that extra expense.

But don't get me wrong...I love this guitar, regardless of that issue.

That being said, the case is quite cheesy, a huge disappointment. Very light weight, can't be a wood frame. More like an old chip-board case with a velour interior. The neck doesn't even rest on the cradle over the case pocket, and the interior is probably 6 inches longer than the guitar. I'm amazed Gibson would put such a classy (and pricey) instrument in such a low-budget case.

Maybe someone can help on this forum....how can I tell how many Jackson Browne models have been/will be built in left-hand configuration? I have to believe this is going to end up being somewhat exclusive.

Post a picture of the case. I've seen the wrong hang tags put on cases before, so I wouldn't rely on that.

p><p>I am primarily a flat-pick, strummer, singer-songwriter type guy. But when I first picked the JB up out of the case and checked the tuning, I slammed into a finger-picked version of "These Days." (Like who doesn

As to the case...consider this. I shipped my J-200 FedEx and the box weighed 25 lbs. The Jackson Browne in its case was shipped FedEx and weighed just under 11 lbs. Think the case had something to do with that?

I SEE THE PHOTO DIDN'T WORK. BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.

Here's your pics. Gorgeous guitar! . B)

How about an overhead shot of the guitar in it's case so we can see how it fits?

Hit the "Reply" button under this post and you'll see how these photos go in. At your Webshots account, from the "link to", select the big size and copy the "direct link" to the "Insert image" tool on this forum's post editor.

2005273460106369181S600x600Q85.jpg

2649792480106369181S600x600Q85.jpg

2958746570106369181S600x600Q85.jpg

2956126980106369181S600x600Q85.jpg

2711831820106369181S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's your pics. Gorgeous guitar!

How about an overhead shot of the guitar in it's case so we can see how it fits?

The case looks like a standard TKL "Prestige" level case, with the velour interior and dual-support neck rest. Generally speaking, this is a decent quality case. There should be a thicker foam pad in the body cavity just behind the lower neck rest bulkhead, which supports the upper bout just below the neck joint. This thicker padding in the bottom of the case makes up for the taper in body depth when the guitar is viewed from the side.

When the guitar sits in the case with the lid open, gently press down on the fretboard just above the soundhole, if the neck is not resting in the bottom of the neck rests. The foam below the upper bout should compress enough for the neck to fetch up on the neck rests, or very close to it.

When a case is new, the foam is slightly over-fluffed. It compresses over time.

Inside the lid, over the neck, there should be a noticeably thicker padded area. When the case is closed, this presses down on the fretboard and pushes the neck down into the rests. In a fairly short time, you should see the imprint of the strings in the padding over the neck if the case fits properly. With the lid closed, the guitar should not rattle at all in the case. If it does, the case does not fit properly.

Sorry to be pedantic about this, but I've learned more than I really want to know about this topic in my search for a case that properly fits my slightly oversized 1948 J-45. Still searching......

Sorry to be pedantic about this, but I've learned more than I really want to know about this topic in my search for a case that properly fits my slightly oversized 1948 J-45. Still searching......

The opaque zoo of metamorphoses, fretboard like a psychedelic nite-club, already dinged by a fan in the ceiling, now you tell us it's slightly oversized too.

How flipping eccentric is this '48 hippie guitar. . .

.... now you tell us it's slightly oversized too. ... How flipping eccentric is this '48 hippie guitar. . .

I've seen Nick post about the case search for his '48 more than once. At one point his was thinking custom.

Oops . . . . . sorry about the hijack. . B)

The opaque zoo of metamorphoses, fretboard like a psychedelic nite-club, already dinged by a fan in the ceiling, now you tell us it's slightly oversized too.

How flipping eccentric is this '48 hippie guitar. . .

Hey, I can't even find the ding from sticking the headstock into the ceiling fan. The white paint from the fan rubbed off, just leaving a small dull spot. I think it primarily hit the ivory headstock binding, which is a bit tougher than the wood fan blades. And remember, this ain't a new guitar to start with in any case.

As far as the dimensions of my guitar go, after having trouble with modern J-45 cases, I got the full-size Collins 1957 J-45 plans, and measured those carefully against my guitar, since I had been having case size issues. My guitar is 1/8"-3/16" larger all around (except for depth)and the body shape is very slightly different from the Collins drawing. It isn't clear to me how much variance there should/could be in these guitars.

This is why I've been begging on this forum (with no results) for someone to actually measure their new J-45 body, and provided those dimensions. Maybe I own Frankenguitar. But I've owned it for a long time......

... how can I tell how many Jackson Browne models have been/will be built in left-hand configuration? ...

You can't tell how many will be built, and neither can anyone else until the last one is scheduled for production. The number of lefties built will be the number of lefties ordered. Gibsons are built in response to orders received from dealers: nothing is scheduled for production until it is sold. (Well, that's not actually 100% correct -- it's Gibson, and they're not completely consistent about anything! -- but that's the basic idea.)

As for how many have been built, it's likely no one knows unless the number is especially interesting -- like, say, one. (Again, that's just how Gibson works.) And even if someone there does know, s/he's not really supposed to make that kind of detailed production info public. Hands have been slapped for providing detailed production numbers for specific models on this forum.

-- Bob R

Just had a bit of an "ahah!" moment on the case. After checking the JB specs, the body depth of the JB is substantially more at the neck block than other slope J models: 4.55" vs. about 3.80" for a J-45, for example. The JB depth at the tail block is pretty much the same as other slope J's (4.83").

If the case padding under the upper bout is the same as that of the regular J-series cases, the neck will sit well above the neck rests, at least until the top is closed. You should see string impressions almost immedaitely in the foam padding in the top of the case above the fingerboard.

This all isn't necessarily bad, but it may explain the odd fit at the neck rests.

Hey, I can't even find the ding from sticking the headstock into the ceiling fan. The white paint from the fan rubbed off, just leaving a small dull spot. I think it primarily hit the ivory headstock binding, which is a bit tougher than the wood fan blades. And remember, this ain't a new guitar to start with in any case.

The traces of the rotating fan just vanished !?! , , , another evidence of the magic 'bout this guitar.

This is why I've been begging on this forum (with no results) for someone to actually measure their new J-45 body, and provided those dimensions. Maybe I own Frankenguitar. But I've owned it for a long time......

I'll do that within a couple of minutes. It'll be in centimeters though.

But how come the Alice in Wonderland ax changed size - must have happened between Sgt. Pepper and Woodstock '69. . .

You might own the only 45 in the world with altered measurements (or what do I know. . . )

The traces of the rotating fan just vanished !?! , , , another evidence of the magic 'bout this guitar.

I'll do that within a couple of minutes. It'll be in centimeters though.

But how come the Alice in Wonderland ax changed size - must have happened between Sgt. Pepper and Woodstock '69. . .

You might own the only 45 in the world with altered measurements (or what do I know. . . )

Perhaps it's just my altered consciousness. After all, I did purchase the guitar in 1966, and both of us went through the rest of the 60's in an occasional haze.

If you measure your guitar, millimetres would be perfect. Width across the lower bout (max), width at the waist (minimum) and width across the upper bout (maximum). Also the year and specific model would be handy.

And FYI, my guitar is in perfectly undistorted shape, so it's not like anything is odd. The top is flat (at least as flat as the design calls for, according to the plans), and the back has almost exactly the proper offsets from flat, according to the '57 J-45 drawings. It's just slightly bigger in plan view: enough to cause fit issues with a modern J-45 case.

By the way, measuring the widths across the top, rather than the back, is a bit more accurate, since the back is not flat. I've done both, and there's a little bit of difference, but not much.

Yes, I realize the J.B. is something totally different than the HD-28V. That Martin is just the guitar I'm getting to know in this phase and as you owned one (and they're both loud creatures), I asked. Thank you for the response and sorry for bending the thread with Nicks 45. It is what happens sometimes and I hope you agree we gotta stay large as thread-hosts. Long live the free association – makes the Board a living organism.

And YES, , , I'm wild about trying a Jackson Browne.

Gibson 2010 J- 45 Standard measurements in centimeters =

Between shoulders - 29,1

Depth - 10,4

Between hips - 40,5

Depth - 11,7

Body length – 51,2

OK, this may blow your mind just a little.

Here's my 1948:

max width lower bout ("hips"): 412 mm

min width waist: 276 mm

max width upper bout("shoulders"): 295 mm

depth at neck block: 96 mm

depth at tail block: 122 mm

body length: 514 mm

Not that much difference, you say, but enough to mess with the case fit if it's a tight fit for the modern guitar. At least the body length is virtually the same.

Check the waist width if you would, please.

Archived