Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

This_Dying_Soul

I had mentione in another post that my wife was buying me a strat when I went on vacation... I'm back and this is what followed us home. [thumbup]

It's a shame that there was a limit of only 1 carry on item on the plane because a few days later while visiting another music store in search of pedals I came across a replica of Hendrix's Flying V. Today is also NPD x2 for me.

pedals.jpg

315034_10150322056520009_661725008_8465489_601980618_n1.jpg

Beautiful Strat.........I have both those pedals...That H2O is an older version......Very very cool stuff....

Thanks for posting.....( I've a new MIA Strat coming in the mail....I'm a guitar wh*re ).......

Beautiful Strat.........I have both those pedals...That H2O is an older version......Very very cool stuff....

Thanks for posting.....( I've a new MIA Strat coming in the mail....I'm a guitar wh*re ).......

I'm a guitar wh*re in training... up to 4 now. got every axe I need to get the tones I want.... now it's strictly GAS when it comes to guitars as I no longer have a practical excuse for getting any others.

I considered returning the H2O and buying the new version (the older model was bought used but the store had the new version), but I really didn't see much difference in sound and couldn't justify an extra $100.

Four guitars ain't enuf. <grin>

You've gotta have an SG, a 335, a 175, a classical, a big flattop, a parlor flattop and a 12 string flattop at minimum. That's just a starter and Gibbie or Epi make fine options but so also do a few others. That's my idea of a magic 7.

Yeah, I didn't use the "F" word 'cuz I don't care for the necks. But if you do, there are some more added options.

m

Very nice Strat.

Sounds like the training is coming along nicely.

I'm up to 7 guitars now but still no Fenders. After every new purchase, I tell myself that I have everything I need. Apparently I'm mistaken.

Good for you.

Dave

Well...

Every guitar will play a bit differently and frankly, I think that after a certain point even a different shape body with the same neck will bring out something different in the musician as much or more than the guitar itself.

The problem is that a lotta folks simply don't get the difference even among various guitar types.

For example, I can't imagine being without at least one flattop and one classical guitar of some sort or another. Nor my S100c 1970s Guild SG type. Nor a 12. Nor a 175 and a dot. And that's only five. Yeah <grin>, even an old guy has more and would dearly love even more than that.

m

I had mentione in another post that my wife was buying me a strat when I went on vacation... I'm back and this is what followed us home. [thumbup]

It's a shame that there was a limit of only 1 carry on item on the plane because a few days later while visiting another music store in search of pedals I came across a replica of Hendrix's Flying V. Today is also NPD x2 for me.

pedals.jpg

315034_10150322056520009_661725008_8465489_601980618_n1.jpg

what coluor is the strat mate?, post a better pic when you have the time eh [thumbup]

Four guitars ain't enuf. <grin>

You've gotta have an SG, a 335, a 175, a classical, a big flattop, a parlor flattop and a 12 string flattop at minimum. That's just a starter and Gibbie or Epi make fine options but so also do a few others. That's my idea of a magic 7.

Yeah, I didn't use the "F" word 'cuz I don't care for the necks. But if you do, there are some more added options.

m

Yeah, I guess I could add a classical, some sort of steel string acoustic and a 12 string in there to round it out. But in my opinion, 4 those 4 electrics (strat, SG, Les Paul, Gretsch hollowbody) will get me just about any sound I can think of... or at least reasonably close. Not saying I won't buy any others, but I don't feel I can use necessity as an excuse anymore. lol ...maybe if I was playing professionally, but not right now.

I'd like to say that GAS is worse when you're playing music for money. Alas, such is not the case.

Actually I don't particularly care for the LP or strat - which I guess is obvious from my earlier note.

Is the Gretsch full hollow? You'd still be surprised at the difference from a more or less "full size" archtop almost regardless of pickups. The 175 to me is, in ways, the perfect solo gig guitar unless you're doing folkie - then you need a flattop.

The weakness I think to starting with rock in youth is that I think it's more difficult to shift technique to a flattop than it is to go from a flattop to an electric.

But ... hey, you've got some very nice instruments and, as the saying goes and I mean it sincerely, if it suits you, it tickles me plumb to death.

m

what coluor is the strat mate?, post a better pic when you have the time eh [thumbup]

Maybe American Deluxe in Sunset Metallic ?

Steve, Kahune's got the right answer... sunset metallic is basically a cherry burst that goes from metallic gold in the center to metallic red on the sides.

had a chance last night to plug in the Strat to my amp and test it out... while I was at it I tested the Double Trouble.

Those suggested settings for SRV are pretty cool. While I'd have to assume my amp settings were causing the tone to be a little different from SRV; just plugging in the pedal and setting the controls on it according to the manual got me fairly close. If SRV were alive now, I wonder what he'd think of the S1 Switching system and the extra tonal possibilities it offers to the standard strat?

Next chance I get, I gotta connect the H2O and test it with the stereo outputs engaged. I've made the decision that I'm no longer selling my Vox AC15VR. It can keep up with my Traynor in terms of volume while the small 5 watt tube amps I was considering instead are not necessarily going to keep up if I ever decide to be in a band again.

I'd like to say that GAS is worse when you're playing music for money. Alas, such is not the case.

Actually I don't particularly care for the LP or strat - which I guess is obvious from my earlier note.

Is the Gretsch full hollow? You'd still be surprised at the difference from a more or less "full size" archtop almost regardless of pickups. The 175 to me is, in ways, the perfect solo gig guitar unless you're doing folkie - then you need a flattop.

The weakness I think to starting with rock in youth is that I think it's more difficult to shift technique to a flattop than it is to go from a flattop to an electric.

But ... hey, you've got some very nice instruments and, as the saying goes and I mean it sincerely, if it suits you, it tickles me plumb to death.

m

Yeah, the Gretsch is full hollow - unless you include the sound post that is positioned under the bridge. I know there is a slight difference between full hollow tones and semi-hollow (like an ES335) but the tones are still quite similar.

I wouldn't say GAS is worse when one plays music for money, but it just makes it easier to justify the purchase... especially if you make enough to live off.

I did start out on acoustic guitar, but it's been a long time since I've owned an acoustic. I agree people should start out on acoustic first then move over to electric. In fact if I could do anything differently, it would be to have kept my acoustic that I sold many years ago - you can play songs written for electric quite easily on acoustic by reworking the arrangement... it's more challenging to take an electric song and playing it on an acoustic.

I actually use my Gretsch when I'm looking for an acoustic sound, but I would eventually like to get a dedicated acoustic guitar (or acoustic/electric - makes no real difference to me as long as it sounds good). I may make this my next guitar purchase - maybe an Epi or Yamaha or something - anything but Ovation... I hate the rounded backs on them - other than that, they are great sounding instruments.

Once again, of all the Strats available, the fechures on yours are sweet; S1 switch, noiseless PUs, and,

that colour is stunning......

( My gal doesn't know an '06 HW1 nitroed Strat is arriving soon....I'm going to tell her I needed it for recording..Which is kinda true...)

Archived