Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Really Going To Be Put To The Test

L5Larry

The fall concert season for our Big Band is coming up, opens October 12th. Beside the fact that the song list for this group of shows has a bunch of "guitar features" (cool by me), we will be backing a nationally known, (maybe internationally know) fusion violinist (Christian Howes) on a few of his original tunes.

This sounds pretty cool doesn't it. With various bands I've done this kind of thing many times, and it can go either way, be a whole bunch of fun, or a real pain in the ***, there is usually no in-between. Either way it will look good on the resume. Now here's my problem, or should I say my challenge. The guitarists on the recording of one of the songs we're doing is ROBBEN FORD. It's been a long time since I really played any Fusion (20-25 years), and now I have to play Robben Ford's part. With the exception of the solo in the middle, this is a WRITTEN guitar part.

Wish me luck and hope I don't SUCK.

Here's a live version of the tune with Christian and Robben:

Oh, did I mention that the only rehearsal we get with the guest artist will be soundcheck before the show. This is typical as the artists mails in their charts, we rehearse them without his part, and then they walk in and play their parts. At least we got the charts a couple weeks ahead of time.

Better get my fingers limbered up!

Good luck and have fun! Robben's tone on that tele sounds fantastic. I always enjoy seeing other players grinning and really into the piece they are playing (watch the the guy playing keys). Everyone else will probably disagree with me but Howes' violin just didn't jive with me too well, I guess I'm more into a mic'd violin or at least a more organic sounding tone when listening to one play. Overall I liked the piece and think it would be really cool to play an arrangement like that in a Big Band setting.

What are you going to be playing on, your L-5?

I'll be pulling out the ES-345 for this song. There are about three other songs on our play list for this concert that will also work better on the 345. It's not so much the guitar itself, but the type of strings I use on the different guitars. The L-5 is strung with 14ga. flats for that chunka-chunka big band rhythm stuff, and the 345 is strung with 12ga. rounds (plain 3rd).

We're also doing two Bossa songs, so I'll have to take the classical too. This will be a 3-guitar gig for me, L-5, 345, classical.

Archived