Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Locks

This_Dying_Soul

They don't really add much cost to the instrument and are a great way to protect your investment. Fender has made them a standard feature on some of their high end production models...My American Deluxe Strat did... why doesn't Gibson do the same?

It's a small cost when you consider how much they charge for the SG Standard or Les Paul Standard and for what it would cost a major manufacturer to buy them in bulk or produce their own is really a lot less than we pay to buy after market strap locks. Even if they felt the need to increase the cost of guitars with strap locks as stock features by $20 or so, I don't think it's going to hurt sales and to me it would be a justifiable increase.

really? I've never seen any gibson models with stock straplocks in the stores.

I am familiar with the plastic Dunlop ones. I have them for my SG and will be keeping an eye out for them for my Les Paul. I find they're hard to come by. For some reason (maybe because Dunlop wants to push the other more expensive strap locks) there are not many places that carry them.

I found the ones I have on my SG at a local pawn shop that occasionally sells new stock (oddly enough they are the area's G&L Authorized dealer)

well, different people like different strap locks. I'm looking at trying out the Grolsch method when I get my Fender because Gibson cases leave no room for a guitar with strap attached in the case. But Fender? they know what's up...

My first thought was that different folks like different straplocks, so... That and there may not be consistency between what mfgr uses what lock, so rhere goes the thought of having all the same mfgr straplock on all your guitars. I use Dunlops on all of my solid body guitars, & the Grolsch washers on all of my hollows & semi's because the strap button is on the heel of the neck & protrudes too much. I've never had an issue with them not holding, and it's a breeze to remove, etc.

Good point by Dub-T about using the same diameter screws to minimize the PITA when replacing them.

First, I'd agree with some folks having preference for one type or another - and the advantage to not using them as factory equipment is that it then gives each person the option to consider what he/she might prefer.

As for myself, I've never used nor perceived that I needed one. That goes back to folkie stuff, some pretty wild stage movements for the era in my late teens and 20s... So I guess I don't quite understand a need for them unless you plan to use the strap as a string on a guitar-shaped yoyo.

m

The biggest problem I have are these nice soft leather straps every one has these days. Last night I put on my buddies Parker Fly with its $100 strap to play a track and didn't notice that the strap was twisted. One E chord and there it went. Lucky for me the Parker is super light and I was able to keep it from hitting the ground with just my left hand. It would have been a very different and sad story with my 13 pound Gibson Chet Atkins CG. I have strap locks on everything these days. That may be why I don't pay attention to twisted straps any more.

:-k

First, I'd agree with some folks having preference for one type or another - and the advantage to not using them as factory equipment is that it then gives each person the option to consider what he/she might prefer.

As for myself, I've never used nor perceived that I needed one. That goes back to folkie stuff, some pretty wild stage movements for the era in my late teens and 20s... So I guess I don't quite understand a need for them unless you plan to use the strap as a string on a guitar-shaped yoyo.

m

Personally, I think it should be a couple dollar option on a new guitar, for factory installed strap locks. Have a bunch of each brand, say for an extra 10 bucks its yours or something

That would be something small, but would be a very nice touch

because i hate the straps. I had one, and I hate the strap. I use reunion blues and I'm gonna get a souldier (owl pattern of course)

Truth.

If they made this in a 4" wide leather version I would think about getting one. Till then I'm all Jim Dunloped up.

because i hate the straps. I had one, and I hate the strap. I use reunion blues and I'm gonna get a souldier (owl pattern of course)

Hmm.........................I didn't know that the strap that you're using mattered that much........................It doesn't to me..........................a strap is a strap................

BTW, They do make a leather one: http://store.daddario.com/category/146443?language_id=1&currency_id=1

Hmm.........................I didn't know that the strap that you're using mattered that much........................It doesn't to me..........................a strap is a strap................

BTW, They do make a leather one: http://store.daddari...1&currency_id=1

Dude, AXE® said that the thing that gives a guitar its soul is the shoulder that holds it up, and what channels your soul into your guitar, your strap-DUH.

:rolleyes:

Congrats. You can save your money. However, I'm gonna go spend 50 bucks come Christmas time to get this beauty. The middle blue one [biggrin]

il_fullxfull.138419475.jpg

Archived