Gibson Brands Forums

Getting your own design on a Gibson built?

Steven Tari

I have a nice collection of Gibson family guitars. But now getting older I don't want what everybody has and would like to get my own Gibson guitar built . So who do you talk to and send your money to, to do that? [thumbup]

Well when I talked directly Henry. We met for coffee and I told him my idea. "That'll never sell," he said. Two years later, Firebird X gets released

If you're actually going to get a one off done, I'd go to a luthier, not Gibson. I can't even begin to fathom what their price would be. A luthier should be able to do what you want, exactly to your specs for a few grand and I doubt Gibson could come close to that at all especially for something that isn't just a les Paul with different pickups probably

It's my understanding that you can talk to the Custom Shop directly....................

For a Custom Guitar though, I'd speak to Carvin, or one of the HUNDREDS of AMAZING private luthiers around..........

And you really think theyll be cheaper them Gibson?

Yes.........Do you want a customized 339, or a fully Tari designed guitar ???

Gibson WILL make you a customized 339, perhaps even a Tari designed guitar...But even their C.S. uses CNC machines and such...

They are set up to make production guitars...Add in their "mandatory/needed" overhead and profit margin, and, they suddenly aren't

a custom guitar design shop, but a highly skilled sub-shop that builds to a higher Q.C. standard using better woods.............................

There are many HIGHLY SKILLED luthiers who build fully custom guitars to exact client specs, at reasonable prices...........................

( Myself, I'm going with a highly customized Carvin Custom Shop semi-hollow, once a lawsuit is settled..Cost ?? 3 - 5 grand..)..

By the way, if you are looking at an ES-339 what part of it do you want it to be customized?

Color, neck shape, hardware and electrinics can all be changed.

For instance, right now my Les Paul R8 is in the shop getting a neck reshaping to my own specs, there was plenty of wood to go around for shure.

Lets say you want a normal ES339 but with a different tailpiece... Gibson will charge you list price for the guitar + list price for the tailpiece + installation. Which would end up costing a lot more than doing it yourself.

And you end up getting that: a normal ES339 with a different tailpiece... nothing else. And you pay more than that.

Better talk to a luthier and have him build you a hell of a guitar. [thumbup]

Check out the George Leach of the Phoenix Guitar company, he's an amazing luthier and has a line of arch-tops that he specializes in custom made from top to bottom he will build anything you can dream of. He makes two small hollow bodies that look and sound amazing the Baby Phoenix or the Custom 14 and there true hand carved arch tops not just a routed solid body.

Here's the website

http://phoenixguitarco.com/guitars-archtop/

Archived