Gibson Brands Forums

famous people you have met?

S t e v e

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've met many "famous" people, some of the better known would be Van Morrison and Janice Joplin...but when I think of someone who is "iconic" that I've met....

Willie Mays comes to mind.... the BEST all-round player in Baseball history. And one of the most gracious people ever.

I also met Lash LaRue and Little Richard. You may have to google search these celebs to know who they are. Stars of the past you know. [crying]

I also met Lash LaRue and Little Richard. You may have to google search these celebs to know who they are. Stars of the past you know. [crying]

Lash LaRue, that's almsot as cool as Yakima Canutt! (I Love old western movies and TV show [thumbup] ). That reminds me, I met Iron Eyes Cody when I was about 7. He was Grand Marshall in a parade we had in my small Town.

And I got Maclovio Perez's Autograph when I was about 9, but he's more of a local celebrity.

Yak Canutt actually is on the cover of our museum's local pictorial history book. He rode the impossible horse, Tiparrary, to a standstill at the Black Hills Roundup nearly 90 years ago.

He later appeared as a very old man for dedication of a statue to the bronc rider...

Yak was a stellar individual in the motion picture biz and friends here who worked with him say he was a true gentleman as well.

m

Oh, I forgot my favorite "Cloudy" Chuck Blackwell drummer from the Mad Dog's and Englishmen band with Leon Russell and Joe Cocker and Taj Mahal. He is awesome and has some great stories and he has played with everyone from Albert King to Hendrix.

J

Archived