Gibson Brands Forums

'61 P90 SG

SketchyEtchy

IN STOCK AND SHOULD DISPATCH IN 24 HOURS.

Finally!!!!!

Its took its time to get into Andertons, and I have seen gak and guitar village get the tv yellow in during this week at £289 + P&P which has killed me a bit...BUT they did not offer a pre order or didnt know if they would get it in. Andertons was there for me in the month of July with Pre order and free p&p now I just got to wait possibly till Monday and then I can stop gassing...... for a weeek :D.

Pics will be posted as soon as I get it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sketchy,

Nice pics and a great looking guitar.

How do you like the P-90s?

When I first got my L.P. Special I ended up adjusting the pickup heights a bit. (personal preference)

I couldn't believe the difference 1/32" made, although I have to admit I was a bit nervous about running the screws through the back of the guitar. Turned out some careful measurements (and a slight adjustment of a couple of the screws) took care of everything.

Congrats,

Willy

Sketchy,

Nice pics and a great looking guitar.

How do you like the P-90s?

When I first got my L.P. Special I ended up adjusting the pickup heights a bit. (personal preference)

I couldn't believe the difference 1/32" made, although I have to admit I was a bit nervous about running the screws through the back of the guitar. Turned out some careful measurements (and a slight adjustment of a couple of the screws) took care of everything.

Congrats,

Willy

I only played her brielfy, sounds good, gonna put 10's on it, oil threats etc, get her setup all nice. Might look into the Pickup adjustment once Ive sorted the other bits :). So I know for sure.

@rastus, its amazng. Grain looks good cept the back is grained up until the neck and the horns I think I put photo just looks weird to me but who's really gonna see the back :D. See the grain all up the neck Im pretty much stoked with it, but deffo not a tv yellow I can assure that haha. Wondering where it was built in china, code isnt recognised on data project. Real nice weight to play with not too heavy, nice slimish neck, Does sound mean through my amp. The gig bag is really nice as well, fully padded.

Epi have a new poster as weel, post a pic of that if you want people :)

Need to play it more when I get back from getting wages and other bits from town.

Yeah, they're just different types of screws, your's are grub screws and the ones on the other are socket head cap screws, there'd be no difference functionally, they're there to help adjust the intonation, if your intonation is ok then just tighten the loose screw until it only just binds up so that it's not loose.

I think this yellow is just kinda different in different lights, and in different photos I take. I'm not fussed love it. Glad really its not bright banana yellow on the LP specials! Not to sure on the pickup distance though :S

Congrats, SketchyEtchy! That looks awesome. That's the same finish as my Epi LP Special SC. You never know what you're gonna get after looking at all the banana yellow dealers pictures on the web. [thumbup]

It's making me GASsy...

Very nice, Sketchy! We got the black and cherry versions of this guitar at the store, but I hadn't gotten a look at the TV yellow yet. Look's like a guitar "with songs in it" to me ...

We all know the accepted version of the TV Yellow finish ... that it was developed by Gibson as a way to photograph a white guitar under the harsh lighting of early b&w television. I just read an alternative version of the story on anoter site that was interesting. Who knows which version is true? I share it with you as just another bit of guitar lore:

"OK...let's forget for a minute all of that hoo-haa about TV yellow. After some painstaking research and talking to some dudes that are supposedly in the know, Les Paul never played a TV yellow guitar on television. Gibson's TV line reflected Les' notoriety on television, not the color of the guitar. In June, 1953, Les Paul and Mary Ford's"Vaya con Dios" hit the record bins, and shot to the number one spot. Following this success the couple started to host their own television broadcast from their Mahwah, New Jersey home. Sponsored by Listerine, it was known as the Les Paul and Mary Ford At Home Show. So what does this have to do with the color of the guitar? Nothing, in my opinion. Gibson refered to the color of the TV guitar as limed mahogany. Limed mahogany, what we know as TV yellow, was a very popular furniture finish back in the 1950's. My grandmother has an old Muntz console TV that is finished in limed mahogany. Bottom line: It is probably safe to assume that the pleasing yellow guitars that we love today trace their heritage not to the harsh lights of 1950's television, but rather to the furniture trends of the day."

Jim

60'S: TV yellow-looks good over black and white television sets.

90's: CABLE YELLOW-not a "proper" TV yellow, but looks old like a vintage guitar on cable TV broadcast.

2000's: HD YELLOW-bright and stunning for your High Definition broadcast pleasure.

TODAY: INTERNET YELLOW: changes color depending on what digital camera and PC you use, but looks cool even with phone pics.

Every clip I've ever seen from that old "Listerine" show has Les playing his black custom. That show was actually done on film, so playing a white guitar wouldn't have been a problem anyway.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlG7qb3iCs

In this cute little number they're playing goldtops and you can occasionally see the "black halo" so common to early TV cameras:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Df09Sodpk&feature=related

Jim

In the first volume of Robb Lawrence's excellent two-volume biography of Les Paul, he mentioned that they had two sets of Les Paul Customs, one pair in black, one pair in white--if they were wearing white they'd play the black guitars, and vice-versa. Obviously they didn't do that all the time--I've seen plenty of clips and pics of Les with a black tux and a black guitar. And those TV clips are priceless--a great reminder of what a terrific player Les was. And Mary was no slouch on guitar either--apparently, before she hooked up with Les, she was Jimmy Wakely's lead guitar player.

TODAY: INTERNET YELLOW: changes color depending on what digital camera and PC you use, but looks cool even with phone pics.

Pretty much sums up my guitars colour. Every photo I've taken ends up a complete different shade haha, again different times of day its a different colour HAH! Well least it isnt bright in your face yellow. Will they ever get this yellow right?

Every clip I've ever seen from that old "Listerine" show has Les playing his black custom. That show was actually done on film, so playing a white guitar wouldn't have been a problem anyway.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlG7qb3iCs

Jim

the best bit is when he says "wanna relax and play a little song" instantly playing an up beat song haha

Archived