Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Maker Special

bluesguitar65

Very nice guitar.......

I can "understand" 'baked maple', hmmm......Interesting........

Gibson also has the all new "Midtown Standard", a very thin semi-hollow flat top electric....A beautiful guitar....

It has a "bakelite" fretboard; Paper soaked in resins....Hmmm....Am I cork sniffin', or should I simply accept these new changes ?? [confused] ...

Twiz and I may do different kinds of music, but... I'm in total agreement. Cherry, decent deal etc., and I don't care for the wraparound tailpiece either.

As I recall, there's a "hook on the strap button" tailpiece used on some archtops. I'd have to wonder if it would work on a tunamatic bridge replacement so there'd be no actual physical alteration of anything that couldn't be replaced, but might help intonation. There are, as I recall, some other relatively similar options that do the same. One I've seen is specific to Gibson wraparounds and adds a bit of metal toward the tail of the guitar with string attachments - and again, is a drop-in. I could feature some of "us" wanting a Bigsby or similar.

The single volume and tone aren't that big a deal to me, especially with pretty decent on-amp eq on most nowadays.

A solidbody ain't what I plan for my next guitar... But if it were, I could see some advantage to those single coils...

m

Archived