Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Southern Jumbo?

Gibson Artist

Finding a 1955 Gibson Southern Jumbo guitar..............nice !!!!!!!!

Finding one in such good shape.....................................sweet !!!!!

Finding one with a pickguard like that.........................priceless !!!!

My girlfriend found one for sale in our city.....About the same year.....Gaudy large pickguard......Guy is asking $5500.00 for it........

I imagine they play and sound great....You might try posting this thread in the acoustic section........I'd pass on it.....

There's many nicer vintage Gibbys and Martins out there....Or heck, a new Gibby for half that price................

So Gibson actually put that Pick Guard on guitars in the 50's? It looks so hand cut and 70's [mellow] Ahead of it's time.

Gibson stopped making pickguards like that when the material became endangered......[flapper] :unsure: [blink][sneaky] .....

My girlfriend found one for sale in our city.....About the same year.....Gaudy large pickguard......Guy is asking $5500.00 for it........

I imagine they play and sound great....You might try posting this thread in the acoustic section........I'd pass on it.....

There's many nicer vintage Gibbys and Martins out there....Or heck, a new Gibby for half that price................

Oh i dont have the 4k this guy is asking anyways, that's like twice my guitar budget lol. But, it is a unique piece that's for sure and who wouldnt want to play a 1955 Gibson?

Not sure I've ever seen a Gibson with a guard like this, the scroll is somewhat Gibsonesque, re: Gibson "O" and F style mandolins.

+1 on possibly hiding damage.

I wouldn't necessarily write this pick guard off as being after market. Guitar makers were doing some mighty strange things with pick guards back in those days, especially in the Country Western market. Bigger seemed to be treated as better. Remember the hair? Both women's and men's. vs. Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. This one does tend to follow that motif.

Whooo! and those Nudie Suits! Oy Vay! #-o

Archived