Gibson Brands Forums

Christmas is coming

Artie Owl

I got my Christmas present when we went on vacation last month. The Fender American Deluxe strat with the Sunset Metallic finish and rosewood fretboard that I had posted a while back.

She got her Christmas present too in the form of a pair of Chanel sun glasses that cost me $500 bucks.

Yes, we both have expensive tastes - she justifies it because she rotates her various pairs of designer shades and purses and they all get used frequently. I justify it because even though I don't get time to play on a daily basis (and sometimes for a few weeks at a time), I at least know my gear is going to hold it's value and eventually might even be able to be sold for more than I paid for it. I see my guitars as a thing of beauty and works of art just as much as tools (or toys) for making music with.

I have instruments I bought with the purpose of reselling for a profit later and the intention of keeping them stored away and unplayed... but they feel and sound as nice as they look and I just can't do that to them. They all get playing time eventually. Besides, the only way I could not play such guitars is to buy another one for that purpose... something I can't really afford to do right now and can't see really working anyway. Especially with the realization that in these days of mass production,the only new guitars made that will be worth much in 20 to 30 years time are going to be the limited run models like my Les Paul Push Tone, some of the custom shop guitars, and early examples of upstart companies that make a quality instrument who happen to become huge in the years to come like Jackson and Ibanez did in the 80's.

I'm thinking about a Stewart MacDonald build your own acoustic guitar kit. About $600 or so.

Does anyone have any experience with these? That kind of cash goes a fair way to getting a new already built Strat but I won't learn anything that way.

I'm wondering just how good the guitar would actually be, assuming I do a very good job on the build.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Sorry I don't have experience with their kits, but I have bought body blanks and neck blanks, fingerboards etc from them and everything was just as advertised and a pleasure to build a guitar from. So you should have no problem.

Why not try to build an electric? its arguably easier than an acoustic.

Archived