Gibson Brands Forums

Crybaby help

EvoRider

I have a gcb-95 crybaby and when i turn it on the sound of it is real teeny sound and when i turn it off it sounds ok. My question is will the bypass kit fix the sound or do i need to do something else? Can i just go to as local radio shack and get the stuff i need ? were can i find info on this?

If it sounds fine off, then the true bypass mod probably wouldnt help much. Alot of people like to swap the stock inductor to one of the Fasels. Here's a link with a few mods that may help http://www.diyguitar...oxes/WahMod.htm

Mine has the red fasel inductor built in. the main problem is when i switch it on i loose all mids in the sound.. I was just wandering if the true bypass kit would take care of the problem. Or do i need to do something else for this problem... What is the need for the true bypass mod anyway? And some reason or another i can not log onto the link above..

A Cry Baby is a rolling notch filter that cuts a hunk of your mids out depending on where you set it too. True Bypass wont do anything to change what your describing as the True Bypass mod only effects the sound of the pedal when it's switched off. You might want to take a look at something like the Morly Bad Horsie of the Ibanez Weeping Demon as they can be set to turn off as soon as you take your foot off the pedal.

I had a party at my place last summer a bunch of guys tried out my CryBaby. It thins out the sound for sure but..... well... that's what it does.

I have a gcb-95 crybaby and when i turn it on the sound of it is real teeny sound and when i turn it off it sounds ok. My question is will the bypass kit fix the sound or do i need to do something else? Can i just go to as local radio shack and get the stuff i need ? were can i find info on this?

I've used them maybe three times, but couldn't tell you when last, and I've never owned a wah in my entire 40 plus years of playing the guitar. Your "problem" is what a wah does. When other guitar player would get out his wah and start in on some Hendrix or something, I'd dutifully give him the absolute best of myself to carry the rythm section, but if you could hear me above the din I'd sound like this guy shaking his head slowly back and forth:

lurch1.jpg

If you don't know what he sounded like, ask yer parents.

Good luck with it.

rct

Hard to say if your's has a problem or not, but if it is fine, there are a couple of explanations why you would be experiencing what you describe:

Wahs are really dependand on what else is plugged before or after. They seriously tweak on the tone, so if there is a difference in what you hear someone doing online compared to what you are getting it would not be surprising. Things that usually have no effect and can't hear, like impedence levels, can have an effect on the tone of a wah.

Something to check: the footpedal is connected by that gear thingy to the pot, and the teeth of the gear can be moved to have the range of the pedal effect the pot at the top of the range or the bottom. Some mess with it to try and get it to have a different sound.

Just opinion, but the dunlop Wahs have a brighter and scratchier sound than most, but also have more of a wah "effect" and do the wacka-wacka thingy more, as in they seem to have more change from front to back than others. Kind of a trade off-I don't think there is anything close to an all perfect, do everything get every tone wah.

A Cry Baby is a rolling notch filter that cuts a hunk of your mids out depending on where you set it too. True Bypass wont do anything to change what your describing as the True Bypass mod only effects the sound of the pedal when it's switched off. You might want to take a look at something like the Morly Bad Horsie of the Ibanez Weeping Demon as they can be set to turn off as soon as you take your foot off the pedal.

I had a party at my place last summer a bunch of guys tried out my CryBaby. It thins out the sound for sure but..... well... that's what it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7jwF4kAw0

Mine doesnt sound too bad without distortion. But when you add the distortion weather it be a pedal or just the amp it sounds like crap.. i would rather just mod this one if it is possable to get the sound i want.. I am useing a epip g-400 with a marshall mg50dfx amp.. and a few different pedals but mostely with a boss mt2 or bd2...

where is the wah in that chain? Before or after the outboard distortion pedals? Have you tried it without the outboard distortion and use only amp distortion?

Please read what me and eveyone has all ready posted.....

Mine doesnt sound too bad without distortion. But when you add the distortion weather it be a pedal or just the amp it sounds like crap.. i would rather just mod this one if it is possable to get the sound i want.. I am useing a epip g-400 with a marshall mg50dfx amp.. and a few different pedals but mostely with a boss mt2 or bd2...

I have and you dont answer that question any where in your post, but hey thats your loss.

I think i did answer...

I think i did answer...

Maybe it's a little more obvious to you.. but not to us.

Is the wah pedal before or after your distortion pedal in the chain?

I guess it doesn't matter anyway if you are saying it sounds like crap going straight into your amp using built-in distortion.

Oh good grief... There's nothing in the world wrong with running a distortion pedal into a solid state amp. Dimebag and half the 80's metal heads did it for a decade.

I don't know what's wrong with your setup Troy. I'm not even sure there is anything wrong with it but I'll tell you that modding it for True Bypass wont make it sound more full when it's on. Wish I could help ya.

See I knew it wasn't just me. So lets look at whats presented, that amp is a digital amp and with that it really does not like external distortion devices. Since its left in the air we have to assume you know how to use those devices, which means the distortion pedals should not be ran into those amps since they react totally different than a tube amp, or at the very least ran into the front and not the effects loop. Not saying one is better than another just stating my experience and facts from those who have owned this amp. Second since the wah is clean when its off either you really do not understand what a wah does ( as this is possible reading your posts) or if its a really bad sound maybe the pedal is connected incorrectly or in the wrong order. Also if your using the amp distortion and a distortion pedal then you have the ingredients for a sound thats really close to a pissed off chainsaw. Its a wonder why ask a question if your not willing to receive answers?

"It's better to keep quiet and have people think your stupid, than to talk and confirm it. " - Mark Twain

Then why do you keep posting? :rolleyes:

Are you serious about "digital" or solid state amps not liking pedals? Like Searcy said, what about Dimebag Darrell? Tons of people I know run a solid state amp for the cleans, and use gobs and gobs of distortion, fuzz, overdrive, whatever.

Look just toss or sell what you got and get the Classic! It's cheap enough! Then Guitar, Wah, Distortion...

I got a GCB-95 on a trade, not bad for $45 but it needs some modding for sure.

Mine does not get along with the hot pickups of my Explorer or with any guitar played through my Fender Super Camp XD, sounds thin and harsh.

The pedal sounds just OK with other guitars and amps.

In all seriousness its my belief your one of the main reasons this forum is in a huge downward spiral. Peace out lil man.

Funny, I for one think the exact same thing about you. You're rarely helpful, you put down others who don't think as you do, and have nothing but bad things to say in general. The only contributions you make to this forum are dog videos and a humorous voice almost entirely devoid of testosterone. I'm sure I'll get a vacation for posting this, weird how you get away with it though eh?

Wow. This thread is ridiculous.

I did some googling for you and found this http://www.diyguitar...oxes/WahMod.htm

are you handy with a soldering iron?

Also, not to be a jerk.. but why did you buy it if it sounds so terrible?

Well i am bad about buying something before buying it i dont like playing in front of people yet i have just started playing guitar a few months ago. But years ago i played bass in a band.. A wah pedal is new to me and i figured dunlap is a good starting point.. But thanks for finding the link.. I also found one called Stinkfoot wah mods and i plan on trying them... And yes a am pretty handy with a soldering iron.. I use to race rc cars a few years ago... But again thanks for the help...

I got a GCB-95 on a trade, not bad for $45 but it needs some modding for sure.

Mine does not get along with the hot pickups of my Explorer or with any guitar played through my Fender Super Camp XD, sounds thin and harsh.

Yeah i gave 30 bucks for mine at Guitar center and i figured what the crap i would give it a try.. But it does sound thin and harsh on mine too..

Archived