Gibson Brands Forums

How often do you change your strings?

Dallastx

Depends on the guitar and how heavy of usage it gets....For practice, I use unplugged electrics...Strings get changed whenever....For recording, as soon as

they dull out.....Maybe 20 hours of usage....For pro recordings; after 10 hours.....On acoustics, six months to one year....Bass, whenever.................

Violins and violas, and mandolins; as needed......On my banjo, maybe once after my trips to the swamps to scare the visiting Northern Yuppies....m0839.gif

Roughly about once every 2 or 3 months because I'll have a favorite guitar for a few weeks at a time then go to another and when I come back to the original it's time for a fresh set. When it comes to my acoustic usually no more than a month. If I were playing out I'd say probably every week if not a couple of times a week.

Guitar or bass, I change my strings every 15 - 18 hours of play time, or even sooner if needed.

I love the sparkle, zing & harmonics that fresh strings give you, and while it can get pricey sometimes (I own 12 basses and 7 guitars), life is too short for crappy tone.

I do sometimes wish guitar was my main instrument (I'm mainly a bassist), as I can string all seven of my guitars for what it costs to string just one bass...

Roughly about once every 2 or 3 months because I'll have a favorite guitar for a few weeks at a time then go to another and when I come back to the original it's time for a fresh set. When it comes to my acoustic usually no more than a month. If I were playing out I'd say probably every week if not a couple of times a week.

You make a very good point there for people who rotate guitars like that (me included).....

Change the strings and then get your use out of them as opposed to changing the strings and shutting it away in its case for several months.

Alan

Guitar or bass, I change my strings every 15 - 18 hours of play time, or even sooner if needed.

I love the sparkle, zing & harmonics that fresh strings give you, and while it can get pricey sometimes (I own 12 basses and 7 guitars), life is too short for crappy tone.

I do sometimes wish guitar was my main instrument (I'm mainly a bassist), as I can string all seven of my guitars for what it costs to string just one bass...

I wish I could be like that with my basses, there's nothing like picking a bass and it has brand new strings on it... especially on an active bass.

You make a very good point there for people who rotate guitars like that (me included).....

Change the strings and then get your use out of them as opposed to changing the strings and shutting it away in its case for several months.

Alan

I had to get used to it to be honest. I had a few good sets of strings go completely dead sitting in the case before I got the picture.

Changing guitar strings is more of an art versus science. As a hard rule, I always change all guitar strings of the guitars that I will use right before a gig. But in general, when I hear my hollows, semi-hollows looses their sweet clear, melody sound ,it's time for a change. For the solids, it's all about sustain. Once I hear less sustain (and the strings are not dirty) it's time. On average, I change my hollow and semi-hollow bodies strings every 3 months. For the solid bodies, I change the string every month.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived