Gibson Brands Forums

How can you check to see if a Gibson is stolen?

Spot

Guest Farnsburger

Hey Guys, as I troll through EBAY and such I suddlenly wondered about people selling stolen guitars. Does anyone know the best way to check to see if a Gibson being sold is actually stolen goods?

[scared]

Very tricky, be careful on eBay, loads of fakes.

Guest Farnsburger

.it's not fakes I'm worried about. I feel confident enough to spot a fake Gibson a mile away. It's a stolen Gibson that concerns me....

[unsure]

Ok, I just thought I'd mention the fakes as I didn't know if you were clued up. As far as spotting stolen items, it's got to be close to impossible I think.

Hey Guys, as I troll through EBAY and such I suddlenly wondered about people selling stolen guitars. Does anyone know the best way to check to see if a Gibson being sold is actually stolen goods?

[scared]

For Ebay, there's not much you can do. For craigsListyou could always call the local authorities and ask if the serial has been reported stolen.

How many of you even know your serial numbers? Do you take note of them. I've never taken note of mine. Perhaps I will now.

..You should keep a record of Serial Numbers, Invoice/Purchase receipts and detailed photos of the guitar in your poperty for any Insurance claims...

[thumbup]

For Ebay, there's not much you can do. For craigsListyou could always call the local authorities and ask if the serial has been reported stolen.

I'm in the UK and know the EBAY Seller in questions location based on his limited profile. My first step was to get the Serial from him and call the local Police in his town to check. My concern is that I'll be wasting my time as the UK police force are Absolutely Useless !!!

[cursing]

100% AUTHENTIC VERY RARE 78/79 GIBSON LES PAUL ES 335 TD GUITAR OFFERS PLEASE

Well I definately think its a STOLEN guitar....The seller, after replying to my initial interest, can now not reply to my three simple requests for a serial number.

What's more,..his e-mail address,...believe it or not is Uk Most Wanted ukmostwanted13@********!!! I'm not kidding!!!

Another concern,..his other items for sale are all hifi units.....

[scared]

You guys be the judge!!!

EBAY UK link

stolen.jpg

Ebay tem number: 220887790953

unfortunately there's no database of stolen instruments that I know of. and if there was it would be up to the owners to add their stolen guitar's serial number to the list. [unsure]

I own a couple of Ric's and on Ric Resources (Ric Registry) you can check on thing like that. History sometimes & good info. Maybe this site can start something similar for a Gibson and Epi registry.

Just a thought as I wonder often about stolen goods and some have located stolen Ric's. If thief's can't sell stuff they, or other stole, then the desire to steal has to be reduced. You can't eat a damn guitar ya know.

Aster

..You should keep a record of Serial Numbers, Invoice/Purchase receipts and detailed photos of the guitar in your poperty for any Insurance claims...

[thumbup]

Heck, I just completed a spread sheet with all my gear on it with S/N & descriptions. Will add photo clips next to it and then into the safe deposit box w/ receipts. Will update as the herd moves thru life. Mostly for ins. reasons so they can't claim I didn't have them. Happened before and had to sue ins company when I had a whole house cleaned out in the 80's. Man did I loose big giving most the $$ to a Lawyer (sorry to any Atty's here on the site). What I mean is you shouldn't HAVE to sue to recover like I did. IMHO

Aster

Here in the States, reporting guitars stolen only goes to a local data base. Here in Portland, Before a used guitar can be sold, it must be held by the dealer for 30 days and the seriel# reported.

It helps, but there is no guarantee the police will research and catch it.

Of corse, if the guitar is never reported stolen there is no chance at all. And, I think the most it does is if YOU see your guitar come up, you have some way of proving it was stolen. And, it does not really do much to bust poeple dealing with stolen axes.

Archived