Gibson Brands Forums

The CD...is going bye bye?

dem00n

It had better ******* not be going bye bye!

None of the mainstream digital music download services meet my requirements.

The music industry has never cared about audiophiles teenage kids are the demographic that buys the most music and digital content and they don't care about quality anymore digital everything is fine with most of them.

...Too many people have lost entire catalogs of music because of computer issues, or lost Ipods...

This would be my main worry.

I still have 200 or so albums on compact-cassettes (all of them official products, of course...); somewhere between 5- and 600 albums on vinyl and about the same number of CDs. No problem as I still have the hardware to play them.

BUT...a couple of years ago one of my portable hard-drives fell onto the floor and, at a stroke, I lost 250Gb of digital files forever.

Last year the hard-drive/mother-board section of my laptop stopped working. Two months at a repair-shop couldn't ressurect the thing. Another 200Gb lost forever.

Now, I'm not totally stupid (no I'm not!), and I had taken the time to back up most of these files on other hard-drives; but it still goes to show that nothing beats having a 'hard-copy' of something important.

P.

Guest farnsbarns

This would be my main worry.

I still have 200 or so albums on compact-cassettes (all of them official products, of course...); somewhere between 5- and 600 albums on vinyl and about the same number of CDs. No problem as I still have the hardware to play them.

BUT...a couple of years ago one of my portable hard-drives fell onto the floor and, at a stroke, I lost 250Gb of digital files forever.

Last year the hard-drive/mother-board section of my laptop stopped working. Two months at a repair-shop couldn't ressurect the thing. Another 200Gb lost forever.

Now, I'm not totally stupid (no I'm not!), and I had taken the time to back up most of these files on other hard-drives; but it still goes to show that nothing beats having a 'hard-copy' of something important.

P.

Pippy, if you still have the hard drive and laptop, I'd be willing to bet I can retrieve the data from them.

A few ideas I am thinking.

1. CDs are not the ideal physical format for digital music. Should have moved to DVD or SACD formats years ago, but low sample rate mp3s have ruined people's ears. They don't know what they are missing anymore. I have a Neil Young and Crazy Horse live album on DVD audio. Tasty.

2. What are locale bands going to do now to raise cash at shows? Put their songs on cheap thumb drives to sell? Print more t-shirts? When I was in a real band we relied on CD sales to fund recording, gig posters, and rental vans for out of town shows.

3. Major labels can go play in traffic. Their refusal to embrace digital formats lead to this state of crap we have now. CDs are a thing of the past and we have nothing comparable to replace it with.

people round here still buy and sell 7in at shows, but what you'll see is a sleeve with art and inside will be a download code kinda like proof of purchase...

Screw it I STILL buy vinyl, they said it was a dead medium when CDs hit the market.

all comes down to personal preference....

Pippy, if you still have the hard drive and laptop, I'd be willing to bet I can retrieve the data from them.

Thanks very much for the thought, Farns, but they're both long gone. 'Next time' I'll know who to call!

P.

My Grandmother had the 78 player ,Mostly Polka Music. I have the Albums,45's, and cassettes In the Garage from the old days me beinging a teenager. Last centry started all this computer stuff. When I was in highschool No computers, No Cell Phones, No digital nothing. If you had Encyclopedia's in your house you didn't have to go to the library for bookreports or other such highschool homework.[flapper]

people round here still buy and sell 7in at shows, but what you'll see is a sleeve with art and inside will be a download code kinda like proof of purchase...

Screw it I STILL buy vinyl, they said it was a dead medium when CDs hit the market.

all comes down to personal preference....

Vinyl is a very delicious format to listen to music on. The large artwork is a plus too. It's not portable so all I ask is for a digital download with my purchase.

I have a small, but rich collection of 7 inch singles. Need to bust them out sometime soon.

"The times, they are a changin'." -Bob Dylan

Most of my music collection is on CD, but I've converted that over to MP3's for my ipod. Now almost everything I own is on a hard drive.

You can definitely blame the demise of the compact disc on the portable MP3 player. These devices have turned music into more of a commodity than something to be listened to. People see that 160 gigs of space, and feel the need to fill it. I have friends that don't even know all the music on their iPods. You can find an illegal blog download for just about any cd that you'd want to buy. I don't do that personally, but a lot of folks do, and that has eliminated the need to have a hard copy for sale. It stinks, but that's how the industry is going. Technology has made it so that making CD's is no longer profitable for record companies or stores to sell. Just go into Best Buy and see how small the music section is now. As recently as 5 years ago, there was a lot more music section in stores.

Technology is pretty cool though too for unsigned artists. I mean, you can get a pretty decent recording these days with a laptop, and some SM57 or SM58 microphones. Then artists can upload their stuff to iTunes, or make it available for download through their website, or blog. Making a run of CD's is expensive as hell for the working musician. You can get your music out there at a fraction of the cost.

Both my bands are going to be putting out recordings in the next few months. I think we're going to go with vinyl to sell at shows, and include a download card. We also may put the albums up on iTunes or something so people can get it there.

Making a run of CD's is expensive as hell for the working musician. You can get your music out there at a fraction of the cost.

Both my bands are going to be putting out recordings in the next few months. I think we're going to go with vinyl to sell at shows, and include a download card. We also may put the albums up on iTunes or something so people can get it there.

Not arguing, just asking. You know of vinyl/digital distribution that is cheaper than cd/digital distribution? Like, buck a piece for a thousand vinyls plus iTunes? Maybe buck and a quarter? I figured the old stuff had gotten even more spensive the farther we got from it.

rct

I wonder if the next generation of music listener will not be as concerned with 'quality'. I know some teens who convert some really bad YouTube audio to MP3 for their ipod. They may not miss what they've never had.

Haha. That's true.

Really though, my absolute favorite way to listen to music is on a record player, with some humongous hi-fi looking headphones. There's a warmth that you can hear. I can't describe it, but you just can't replicate it digitally. The kids are missing out, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong, I still listen to Slayer on the bus in my iPod. I'd look like a weirdo trying to get the record player on there. :unsure:

Not arguing, just asking. You know of vinyl/digital distribution that is cheaper than cd/digital distribution? Like, buck a piece for a thousand vinyls plus iTunes? Maybe buck and a quarter? I figured the old stuff had gotten even more spensive the farther we got from it.

rct

I actually just started doing research on this. I've never done anything on vinyl before. From what I've found, it is more expensive to do records, kind of. Most of the CD places I've found require a minimum of 500 or 1000 units before they'll do an order. I've found some places that press records, and you can get a smaller amount, so while the individual cost per item is more, it is going to cost less because we don't have to do 1000 of them. I think we're only going to do maybe 200 or so, then do like a re-press after we sell those.

I actually just started doing research on this. I've never done anything on vinyl before. From what I've found, it is more expensive to do records, kind of. Most of the CD places I've found require a minimum of 500 or 1000 units before they'll do an order. I've found some places that press records, and you can get a smaller amount, so while the individual cost per item is more, it is going to cost less because we don't have to do 1000 of them. I think we're only going to do maybe 200 or so, then do like a re-press after we sell those.

Ok. I haven't looked at vinyl since...well, since we didn't have to anymore! Do the vinyl distributers include iTunes maintenance and stuff? Seems they wouldn't for small batch jobs like a couple hunnert.

rct

Vinyl is different though, those wear down after over use which is something i hate. There are tons of new bands that i like that only do CD realses...

I've got albums that are almost 40 years old and they still sound great! Even better I used to work for Columbia Records (was part of CBS and now is SONY) and have a number of Master Sound series (only 100 copies made from each master) records that they gave to the Radio Stations to play, pure bliss:-) \:D/

I remember back when CDs came out first,I paid a bundle for a single disc CD player and CDs were considered a monumental move forward in audio technology.In the years following I've amassed a collection of about 1,000 CDs and continue to buy several a month.It's ironic now that I'm considered a Luddite because I am sticking to vinyl and CDS even though just a few years ago they were considered the best way of storing and playing music.

Since I have very limited computer skills I won't be building up my music collection on MP3 or whatever and I think that there are enough like me-who prefer to listen to and use the CD and vinyl format-to keep both industries going.

I remember back when CDs came out first,I paid a bundle for a single disc CD player and CDs were considered a monumental move forward in audio technology.In the years following I've amassed a collection of about 1,000 CDs and continue to buy several a month.It's ironic now that I'm considered a Luddite because I am sticking to vinyl and CDS even though just a few years ago they were considered the best way of storing and playing music.

Since I have very limited computer skills I won't be building up my music collection on MP3 or whatever and I think that there are enough like me-who prefer to listen to and use the CD and vinyl format-to keep both industries going.

Archived