Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gotten myself behind... and I hate a messy workbench. In addition to the not properly working Klone, I have a TS9 for the usual mods, a new Big Toe booster to finish off, and a Big Toe that's been on tour so long the customer wore out the original switch. I have to turn that one around ASAP and I'm in DC next week. Nose to the grindstone for me my DIY friends.

IMG_5870.jpg

I'm working on some graphics to take to the screenprinter. These are scale mock-ups. Any feedback appreciated :)

btw I am going to add DC jacks to these but need to make the little center negative symbol first. That will appear on the final revisions

SUPER%20DELUXE%20F_zpsguumbprj.png

SUPER%20DELUXE%20MINI_zpsxusdnk8g.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on some graphics to take to the screenprinter. These are scale mock-ups. Any feedback appreciated :)

btw I am going to add DC jacks to these but need to make the little center negative symbol first. That will appear on the final revisions

SUPER%20DELUXE%20F_zpsguumbprj.png

SUPER%20DELUXE%20MINI_zpsxusdnk8g.png

Looks great. I really like the font on the "Super Deluxe" text. I think you could drop the instrument/amplifier text since the pedal uses the same layout as most. Just a thought to keep it clean on the top - particularly on the mini.

Looks great. I really like the font on the "Super Deluxe" text. I think you could drop the instrument/amplifier text since the pedal uses the same layout as most. Just a thought to keep it clean on the top - particularly on the mini.

Thanks for the feedback, pup!

The Dist + that I just posted is basically the exact same finish/enclosure/layout/knobs I plan to use for the bigger one. I may switch to plastic adhesive standoffs for it so that the screws don't show on the face

Thanks for the feedback, pup!

The Dist + that I just posted is basically the exact same finish/enclosure/layout/knobs I plan to use for the bigger one. I may switch to plastic adhesive standoffs for it so that the screws don't show on the face

I agree re the screws - though I love the durability of that design. I hate the plastic standoffs, but not a lot of other hole-less options. On some of my pedals with really small boards I use little velcro circles. I've also started gluing a piece of grey foam inside the bottom of my enclosures to press down on everything since I don't trust those standoffs.

I agree re the screws - though I love the durability of that design. I hate the plastic standoffs, but not a lot of other hole-less options. On some of my pedals with really small boards I use little velcro circles. I've also started gluing a piece of grey foam inside the bottom of my enclosures to press down on everything since I don't trust those standoffs.

Yeah the durability is unbeatable. I would need to adjust the graphics to fit better with the screws if I don't use the plastic standoffs.

I got some nicer screws at least so that they look better. And I didn't do it here but the standoffs provide a convinient grounding point. Decisions decisions.

Foam can be really useful, but I know that in 30 or so years it's going to disintegrate all over the place like it does in all the old MXR and DOD pedals

I think you could drop the instrument/amplifier text since the pedal uses the same layout as most. Just a thought to keep it clean on the top - particularly on the mini.

How about just I and O, or one arrow/chevron pointing in and one pointing out?

A little something I put together whilst experimenting with different transistors in the fuzz face. It's an NPN fuzz face (can power with daisy chain) Si/Ge hybrid. With the way this is set up you get the gain, sustain, and somewhat sharper attack of silicon, with the cleanup and smooth breakup of germanium. After I made a small tweak to kill some noise and slightly shape the freq response, it is dialed in to utter perfection!

E31995C4-44B9-4869-B7DE-78804B4ECEAE_zpsbeuzluuj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MKII Tone Bender with OC75 trannies, shielded wiring, and wima TFM caps. Did this one with DC jack, LED, and added polarity protection so the trannies don't get fried if the user tries to daisy chain this, plugs in the wrong supply, or touches the battery to the clip backwards. Sparkle silver powder coat finish by yours truly

B4E79714-F2DE-4198-AC39-FB1252A1EE9D_zps3d0jzmxr.jpg

45E32246-5D0D-40FE-8FC3-018293794F18_zps0r5xinop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Buzzaround with 2x Mullard OC42 and 1x Mullard OC81

This pedal is an absolute beast. Huge range of tone from bright and lean to thick and chewy. Fuzz ranging from overdrive/distortion to gated to Tone Bender territory. Lots of output and great clean up/interaction with the guitar's volume pot. This is a great vintage fuzz circuit, it's the one Fripp uses in King Crimson

I think my powder coating came out pretty nice too. This was my first time doing a two part powder coat finish. The base coat is a sparkle blue with a high gloss clear top coat.

9C56EA5E-7D1C-41F7-A2E2-6027BC80E2BD_zpszjowqnss.jpg

F87E2598-0A97-46BF-893B-C0E0E9EF2B21_zpsh8irf4ko.jpg

ECDF5B02-2E34-47D4-88E6-998DD19C53AD_zpsstzwyqcr.jpg

OOh!

Neat! Dub you are a real fuzzmeister [thumbup]

[cursing] I've got no money!

I think you would really like the Buzzaround. It's a little quirky because the balance (volume) pot controls both the output level and the bias of the fuzz-ing transistor. So turning the balance down low makes the pedal not only less loud but also gated. The sustain pot also alters the bias of the same transistor, so different distortion levels also come with different bias levels

If you were to simply set the balance and sustain pots where they sound best and control the distortion level with your guitar's volume pot you'd be good to go for (excellent) traditional fuzzing. But having the control over the bias has some interesting effects.

Not having money sucks, but at least the Buzzarounds will always be around :)

Working on a quite complicated project for a client in the coming weeks...it's an all-in-one practice solution for him.

He's a jazz guitarist/singer, and wanted something compact that he could use in his hotel room with headphones. His requirements were:

- Guitar input

- Microphone input

- Auxiliary input for MP3 player

- Mix controls for each

I gave him a bit more...quite a bit more in fact. He's thrilled with the design. This is probably the most I've crammed into a 1590BB before.

3dsM923.png

So we have a guitar preamp (which is the preamp section of his favorite Polytone Studio 212), a microphone preamp (based on the THAT 1510 chip), a cabinet simulator (stripped down, re-voiced version of the Hotline 2), a 4-channel mixer (2 channels for the Aux input, 1 for guitar and 1 for mic), and a headphone amplifier at the end to bring the levels up. Also running off 9V, converted to +/-15V internally.

A lot packed into one box, and not cheap by any means...but the customer gets what the customer wants.

-Ryan

A lot packed into one box, and not cheap by any means...but the customer gets what the customer wants.

-Ryan

Wow, what a project to get... Thats the kind of thing that gets your name out there..

Good luck with it [thumbup]

That's cool. Are you gonna make one big board or several small ones?

Was going to go with one big board, but decided on several small ones. It's slightly cheaper (you pay for all the empty space that you can't fill), and I get multiples of each circuit, so I can re-use the extras in other projects. More wiring for me, but I don't like making boards the size of a 1590BB. Also helps if it turns out I screwed up the circuit when I designed one of them...I'd rather fix and re-order a $5-$10 PCB than a $50 PCB.

-Ryan

Wow, what a project to get... Thats the kind of thing that gets your name out there..

Good luck with it [thumbup]

Oh, my name is already out there...building this for a guy who tours India regularly, and just recently did some work for the guitarist for Shawn Mendes...also in contact with Lady Gaga's guitar player. Getting recommendations left and right. It's getting there.

-Ryan

Was going to go with one big board, but decided on several small ones. It's slightly cheaper (you pay for all the empty space that you can't fill), and I get multiples of each circuit, so I can re-use the extras in other projects. More wiring for me, but I don't like making boards the size of a 1590BB. Also helps if it turns out I screwed up the circuit when I designed one of them...I'd rather fix and re-order a $5-$10 PCB than a $50 PCB.

-Ryan

Probably a good idea to do the smaller boards. What charge pump IC are you using?

Probably a good idea to do the smaller boards. What charge pump IC are you using?

LT1054, as I always do. Really efficient from my tests, and 100mA max output current is enough to power anything analog (besides a power amp).

-Ryan

Oh, my name is already out there...building this for a guy who tours India regularly, and just recently did some work for the guitarist for Shawn Mendes...also in contact with Lady Gaga's guitar player. Getting recommendations left and right. It's getting there.

-Ryan

Excellent stuff man.. You've made a better start than I have..

I wish you all the best of luck with it [thumbup]

Archived