Gibson Brands Forums

Purchase plan: J-45 TV, 20th ANNI J-35 or 5-STAR J-35, Which should I pick ?

gotomsdos

Thank you all, for your great insights, viewpoints, experiences, etc. which are very important to my probable purchase.

I made an order of ebay J-35. Now I wonder if there are some undescribed reason, defect or the like which enables him to sell it ? Anyway, he allows a short time return. just wait and see what'll happen..I'm asking some details issues about the guitar...

Thank you all again!

I'd appreciate more reviews...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best you could probably do in this instance is call a store and listen to the sales guy play the guitar over the phone and ask him to describe the tone and compare it to other guitars.

It's funny that you should mention this. That is exactly how I came to purchase my J-45 TV from a shop halfway across the country. I had dealt with this shop numerous times in the past, mostly selling guitars, and had established a good rapport with one of their staff. Based on our past conversations, she was already pretty aware of what in particular I was looking for in a guitar. I contacted her after seeing the J-45 listed on their site and we talked about her impressions of it for a while. Finally she said that I could get a better sense for what it was all about if they simply played it for me.

I had played enough Gibsons in my life to know what qualities I wasn't looking for that had been exhibited by many in the past and I was easily able to verbalize those thoughts for her. This was actually very helpful to her. Bear in mind that if a store sends a guitar out, they would much prefer that the person end up happy with it and not have to send it back even if the shop is not picking up the tab for shipping — the more shipping involved, the more the odds increase for something going wrong. Even over the phone, I could tell right away that this guitar had a lot of the qualities that I was looking for. Sure, I couldn't tell exactly what it sounded like, but one of the big things that I could easily pick out even over the phone was that it had a really nice articulate low end. Of course the guitar sounds much better in person — there was no return shipping involved.

On another note, it sounds like you (the OP) have never played a J-35 before. I think it is risky for you to buy one because you have the idea that it has a more vintage Gibson sound than any other model. I think most people would cite the J-45 as the classic Gibson sound. They have been on tons of recordings, a lot more than J-35s have, I'm sure. I think it is a safer bet for you to buy a J-45 TV. While not every single one is outstanding, most of them I have played have been really great guitars!

I had similar thoughts as well. Be it a J-35, J-45 or whatever, getting someone to spend some time with you over the phone is a really good idea.

I spent so long putting together my reply that I missed your post. Good luck to you and I hope you end up with a wonderful Gibson.

Thank you Guth !

If it's not a great guitar, the biggest risk is shipping & insurance cost and a probable tariff up to $500-800(in all, if return), besides shipping damage, and desides wish it not an ebay scam...

Less risk with thomann.de, with less shipping and insurance cost (50 EURs only) than with US. Just a gambling about Ferguson.

I found label word is "5-STAR J-35" with other one of the same model as ebay J-35, but it's "J-35" with ebay J-35. I can not find more of the same model.

Just a label word variation ? I emailed him, now unreplied yet.

5-STAR J-35:

http://montanagibson.com/forums/showthread.php?160-Gibson-Luthier-Choice-Series

J-35:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120818377950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Now I have three choices for J-35 with close price.

5 STAR J-35 (natural, made by Ren Ferguson and his team)

20th anni J-35 (sunburst)

Kopp K-35 (sunburst, J-35, made by Kevin Kopp)

Which do you think may be better sounding ? Or rather, give more Gibson sound ?

Thank you very much.

Now I have three choices for J-35 with close price.

5 STAR J-35 (natural, made by Ren Ferguson and his team)

20th anni J-35 (sunburst)

Kopp J-35 (sunburst)

Which do you think may be better sounding ? Or rather, give more Gibson sound ?

Thank you very much.

"Better" sound is a matter of personal taste, not an absolute, quantifiable value. What is "better" or more "true Gibson" to my ears may not be better to yours. I don't see how you can go wrong with any of these guitars, but without playing them, there is no way for anyone to know which is best for you. At the end of the day, you are just going to have to make your best guess, and go with your gut feeling. Most of us have bought guitars at one time or another that we thought were going to be great, but later lost their appeal for one reason or another.

Don't be afraid to make a mistake. We all do. You've got a fine selection of guitars there, no matter which you choose.

I'd be surprised if Ren wasn't nearly as involved with those 20th Anniversary guitars as with the other one you're looking at.

Thank you for reply.

It seems that nothing is mentioned about Ren's making these 20th anni J-35s, even though I heard he supervised their making. But it's clearly described that Ren picked those tops and handmade them and braces, so it's said that the signatures on the labels and on the back of tops can been seen.

I would like to add my opinion to this discussion. If I were you, I would go for the J-45 True Vintage. It's a very highly regarded regular production version of Gibson's most classic design. You should keep in mind that most custom or small run guitars are tougher to sell on the used market, simply because of all the spec. questions it will raise. Also, the J-45 is THE most iconic Gibson design/tone of them all. Nothing wrong with a J-35, but I got the impression you wanted as much classic Gibson as possible. Nothing beats a J-45 in this regard. In my mind, the 45 is the definition of Gibson tone.

Also, the J-45 TV can be purchased new with an adi top for very reasonable money if you shop around. If you are buying long distance, I would go to Wildwood Guitars and look for the prettiest one. Tone is a matter of personal taste, so why not pick the best looking one if you can't play them in person. Wildwood also has their own custom version called J-45 "New Vintage". I would pass on one of those and go for the regular production model for the reasons above. I would also make sure to get a sunburst, no matter what.

But that is just me... :-)

Lars

Hi, buddies !

As to Label words of 5-STAR J-35 by Ren Ferguson.

Correct label seems to be "5-STAR J-35".

Is "J-35" also authentic ?

I emailed Gibson, but unreplied yet now.

With Gibsons, never worry too much about what's typed on the label -- yes, these are actually typed, on a old typewriter, by a person. Whoever typed that one just forgot to add "5-STAR" or didn't know to include it or whatever. It's practically a guarantee of authenticity, since a forger would be more careful to get it right. :)

Having the serial number checked before buying from any source other than an authorized dealer is always a good idea, though. It's not a guarantee, but it improves your odds.

-- Bob R

With Gibsons, never worry too much about what's typed on the label -- yes, these are actually typed, on a old typewriter, by a person. Whoever typed that one just forgot to add "5-STAR" or didn't know to include it or whatever. It's practically a guarantee of authenticity, since a forger would be more careful to get it right. :)

Having the serial number checked before buying from any source other than an authorized dealer is always a good idea, though. It's not a guarantee, but it improves your odds.

-- Bob R

Yes, I enquired of this just to check it out if it's a fake.

As to this 5 STAR J-35 by Ren Ferguson.

Is there the possibility that even though it's not a fake, it's for sale because it happened to be a mediocre (maybe the buyer bought it sight unseen, later thinks it doesn't match its original high price) so he gave it up?

(Sorry, I can not try it, nor any clips of it. just descriptions and photos)

Need reviews from experienced online buyers ...

As to this 5 STAR J-35 by Ren Ferguson.

Is there the possibility that even though it's not a fake, it's for sale because it happened to be a mediocre (maybe the buyer bought it sight unseen, later thinks it doesn't match its original high price) so he gave it up?

(I can not try it, nor any clips of it. just descriptions and photos)

I'm really starting to think you not the kind of person who should be buying an acoustic guitar sight unseen off the internet. You seem to have a lot of anxiety about this, and don't really seem to know what model guitar you want. You keep asking questions you will never know the answers to, and agonizing over them when you don't get an answer. If you are going to buy this way, you need to accept that there are going to be risks and you just need to do it. If you are not comfortable with that, don't buy this way. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is the basic truth.

After following this thread for several days, I really think the best solution for you would be to call Wildwood Guitars and talk to them. Tell them what you are looking for. If possible, give them the names of songs that you like the tone of, or email them song files if possible. Many people trust their ears for tone and have been very happy with them. They can guide you to a guitar that you would have a higher chance of being happy with. And, as said by me and others, I think a J-45 TV is going to be a better choice for you than a J-35.

I really hope this post is helpful to you.

I'm really starting to think you not the kind of person who should be buying an acoustic guitar sight unseen off the internet. You seem to have a lot of anxiety about this, and don't really seem to know what model guitar you want. You keep asking questions you will never know the answers to, and agonizing over them when you don't get an answer. If you are going to buy this way, you need to accept that there are going to be risks and you just need to do it. If you are not comfortable with that, don't buy this way. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is the basic truth.

After following this thread for several days, I really think the best solution for you would be to call Wildwood Guitars and talk to them. Tell them what you are looking for. If possible, give them the names of songs that you like the tone of, or email them song files if possible. Many people trust their ears for tone and have been very happy with them. They can guide you to a guitar that you would have a higher chance of being happy with. And, as said by me and others, I think a J-45 TV is going to be a better choice for you than a J-35.

I really hope this post is helpful to you.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I wonder if it might be best to visit a good Gibson dealer in person and hand-pick the favorite. It's easy to get all worked up about signed labels and limited editions when you sift through guitar forums -- I'm guilty of buying into hype myself -- but at the end of the day you can't beat picking a winner yourself. If you're willing and able to throw down enough money for one of those guitars mentioned in this thread, I wonder if you ought to put a bit of it towards traveling to a reputable dealer and hand-picking a production model like the aforementioned J-45 TV (which will have the same top bracing as the AJ and J-35 anyway...).

Yes, have to agree with above posts. Sometime you gotta bite the bullet and make a decision :)

I think OP gotomsdos is in China? This is maybe making it difficult to visit a Gibson Dealer store? Not sure but my advice would be to pick a well known reputable online store that ships overseas?

Just thought I'd add. I recently called Wildwood from Europe concerning a possible purchase and was informed they do not ship outside the states? That's what i was told anyway. All the models you mention are fine fine guitars and I hope you will be happy with yours when you get it.

Just thought I'd add. I recently called Wildwood from Europe concerning a possible purchase and was informed they do not ship outside the states? That's what i was told anyway.

I did not realize Wildwood did not ship overseas. Maybe the OP could try Fullers Vintage Guitar in Houston. I don't know if they ship overseas or not.

Archived