Gibson Brands Forums

Have a 335 should I also get an SG

umatic

Hey guys, a word of advice if you'd be so kind. I'm thinking about a new guitar. I have a 335 already. I'd like something that works well at high distortion, lots of effects, kind of experimental space rock jams. Is there are any significant advantage to picking up an SG when the 335 is pretty versatile anyway? Thanks.

I own 2 Les Pauls and an SG. I should have added an SG to my collection years ago! They are not as versatile as a Les Paul, but they do rock, and they do that very well! And they are great for blues too! I love the very light weight, thin body, and the full access to the entire fretboard! Any time you think about adding something different to your collection, it is a good idea! Different toys for different tones. The ONLY gripe I have with the SG is that you have to be gentle with the neck. If you get too carried away, the pressure of your fretting hand and arm can pull and push the neck causing notes to go sharp or flat pretty easily. You can do this with all guitars to an extent, but the SG is just more prone to it by the nature of it's construction. It's easy to get the hang of it though, and when you do, you will love your little horned devil of a guitar :)

I own 2 Les Pauls and an SG. I should have added an SG to my collection years ago! They are not as versatile as a Les Paul, but they do rock, and they do that very well! And they are great for blues too! I love the very light weight, thin body, and the full access to the entire fretboard! Any time you think about adding something different to your collection, it is a good idea! Different toys for different tones. The ONLY gripe I have with the SG is that you have to be gentle with the neck. If you get too carried away, the pressure of your fretting hand and arm can pull and push the neck causing notes to go sharp or flat pretty easily. You can do this with all guitars to an extent, but the SG is just more prone to it by the nature of it's construction. It's easy to get the hang of it though, and when you do, you will love your little horned devil of a guitar :)

thanks Steve, it's now looking like an extremely tempting proposition!

What an enjoyable situation to be in.....

The 335 certainly is a 'versatile' tool and can take hi-gain with care

There are a number of SG permutations to consider...

Mine has coil taps which are invaluable for extra tone choices

And the P90 version has many aficianados

How about the 'other end of the spectrum'?

A Strat..... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

What an enjoyable situation to be in.....

The 335 certainly is a 'versatile' tool and can take hi-gain with care

There are a number of SG permutations to consider...

Mine has coil taps which are invaluable for extra tone choices

And the P90 version has many aficianados

How about the 'other end of the spectrum'?

A Strat..... [biggrin]

V

Thanks for the advice :) a Strat is certainly on the radar, maybe an HSS. I have a hot-rod Tele already. Try not to laugh, but I was even checking out the Fender Japan, Kurt Cobain specced Jag. That guitar looks like it would be a whole lot of fun! Tough to get hold of though, and I loathe factory 'relic' instruments, so I'll pass on the Mex version.

The answer to "Should I get an SG?" is always...well, you know the answer.

As far as being gentle with the neck, that is true. I only have one electric, a 70/71/72 SG Standard. I have the thin and narrow neck on mine. I bought it used in 1974. The neck cracked in a fall and I repaired it in 1986. Cracks just below the volute and the fret board separated from the neck at the first few frets. Worked just fine until earlier this year, when the old repair started to come unglued. I guess the guy that fixed it (me!) did not do a great job. It only held up for 26 years. It is getting fixed again by someone who knows what they are doing. I'll get it back in a few more weeks. What I am trying to say is that every guitar will need work at one point or another and the right instrument is always worth fixing.

Consider a Les Paul, too. I am using my son's Epi LP, and it is rather nice, especially after I did a proper set up. His was out of the box from a GC. It needed a little deeper slots on the E, B, and G at the nut (I'll be swapping that out soon with a bone nut). That helped a lot toward a proper intonation set up. New old pups are on the agenda, too. Least I can do since I will have had it for 6-8 weeks. Nice Christmas present, I think!

Thanks for the advice :) a Strat is certainly on the radar, maybe an HSS. I have a hot-rod Tele already. Try not to laugh, but I was even checking out the Fender Japan, Kurt Cobain specced Jag. That guitar looks like it would be a whole lot of fun! Tough to get hold of though, and I loathe factory 'relic' instruments, so I'll pass on the Mex version.

How about the 'other half'....a Mustang?

Compact big sounding instrument easily available

With phase switching has many S/C tones in it's bag.....

V

While I think everybody should get an SG (you included), for 'experimental space jams' a strat may be a better option because of the trem. However, if you want to go even further towards the opposite end of the spectrum how about a superstrat? My recently purchased Japanese Ibanez RG1570 is crafted every bit as beautifully as an American production Gibby. Most of the Prestige series Ibanez RGs have H-S-H pickup configurations and a locking trem which would cover all the solid body bases- bridge hum, neck hum, 2 & 4 strat positions and a sparkly middle single coil.

You know what- What I paid for my SG special faded and my clearance (old model) RG1570 is about the same as a Gibby SG 61 would cost.

So, just get both! [wink]

SGs are my favorite guitar and one with P-90s, like a Classic, would be a great complement to your ES-335. On a Classic, the bridge pickup has great bite and, because it is a single coil, it goes really well with fuzz pedals. The neck has a mix of clarity and warmth and can be used for meaty/creamy Big Muff sounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I started out with a MIM Strat in 1994, then I bought a w/f SG, then a US HWY1 Strat, then a Les Paul Trad Pro.

The SG gets more attention than the others simply because it sounds cool - the 490R/490T pickups are not insanely hot which I really like, it's light-weight, comfortable, has easy-to-reach upper frets...I'm actually considering upgrading to a SG Std or Std Ltd. And it has that sweet evil rock n roll look too! The neck-dipping problem can be fixed with a decent quality strap.

For spacey stuff it should be an excellent match. Go buy one, life is too short to want things for too long!

I have an es 335 I bought eralier this year. Great guitar. Ten minutes ago, I unpacked an SG Standard I just received. First let me differ with the poster above: I, and not he, am the worst guitarist on this forum - or for that matter the worst on the planet. So I can't give you a lot of specifics, and I sure don't know anything about the style to which you referred. But I can tell you that the SG and ES 335 are very difffernt guitars.

I also was concerned that the two guitars would be so much alike that it would be sensless to own both - no way. Both are Gibsons and have humbucker style pickups, but,to me, that's where the similarities end. The ES is a sweet machine; the SG is a monster. Can't say that one is better than the other, but each is distinct in both sound and playability.

Add an SG to your collection. You won't regret it, at least if your only concern is having two guitars with the same characteristics.

Gary

There are 4 guitars that no guitarist's arsenal should be without and they are: Fender Strat and Tele and Gibson Les Paul and S.G.These 4 guitars are iconic for their unique sound qualities.So go ahead and get the SG you won't be sorry as a matter of fact I'm willing to bet that for the first few days you won't pick up any other guitar.SGs can really get raunchy yet are capable of creating some beautiful blues and jazz tones that no other guitars can duplicate.

There are 4 guitars that no guitarist's arsenal should be without and they are: Fender Strat and Tele and Gibson Les Paul and S.G.These 4 guitars are iconic for their unique sound qualities.So go ahead and get the SG you won't be sorry as a matter of fact I'm willing to bet that for the first few days you won't pick up any other guitar.SGs can really get raunchy yet are capable of creating some beautiful blues and jazz tones that no other guitars can duplicate.

I disagree. Any sensible guitar player whom cares about tone can do without a Strat. So many greater Fenders with more attitude.

My first guitar was an SG, and it's still my "go-to" axe. Beware!!! SG's will spoil you. No other guitar that I've ever played feels the same. I also disagree that SG's are not as versatile as LP's. SG's are just as versatile as LP's. My advice is to try different SG's. They will all have their own personality depending on p-ups.

Well, the SGs were tailored for hard rockers, the LP was for everyone. Having said this, if rock is your primary genre of played music, an SG is probably the way to go. But the LP has a unique feel and heritage that I think no other guitar can replicate, so that could be the guitar for you as well.

Well, the SGs were tailored for hard rockers, the LP was for everyone. Having said this, if rock is your primary genre of played music, an SG is probably the way to go. But the LP has a unique feel and heritage that I think no other guitar can replicate, so that could be the guitar for you as well.

Interesting point of view...as the "SG" was originally designated as a "Les Paul!" "Hard Rock,"

didn't exist, when it was introduced, and though Les Paul could play anything he wanted to play,

style wise, he was more Jazz, and/or traditional/experimental. And, as such, his new "Les Paul,"

was certainly capable of producing any kind of tone/style he wanted. The original single cutaway

"Les Paul," didn't sell well, and was dropped from the line, and replaced with the SG-Les Paul.

So, there's some question, as to them being designed "for everyone." [unsure] They only became

popular, because/after Clapton, and Mike Bloomfield, started using them. "Rocker's" loved the SG,

because of the weight, and upper fret access. And, the "Horny Little Devil" looks, too! [biggrin]

CB

Ummmm [confused] I don't believe the genre "hard rock" yet existed when Gibson revamped its Solid Guitar in

[drum roll...]

But, I've been wrong before!

[unsure]

J/W

[i see you beat me to the punch, CB, but I'll let my post stand, anyway~! Hope you had a great Christmas...]

Archived