Gibson Brands Forums

custom classics, whats the deal?

S t e v e

was up the west end last night with the missus and couldn't help looking in the guitar shops [biggrin], mcari's had some lp classic customs in there and i saw a lovely one in black/ebony for only £1499 special deal it said...

my question is why is the classic custom half the price of a standard custom? [confused]

but looks identical to me? even has the inlay on the headstock [rolleyes]

Baked Maple board, as opposed to Ebony, on the Custom. Multi-ply binding

on the front, but No back binding, on the "Classic Custom" where the regular

Custom has multi-ply binding on both front and back. Chrome hardware only,

as opposed to Gold, mostly, or Chrome, on special orders, for the standard

"Custom." BUT, if you want an awesome looking, sounding, and playing LP with most

"custom" features, at a great price point...the "Classic Custom's" are outstanding!!

I own both...(1980 Custom, and a recent 2011 Classic Custom "Gold-Top")..and Love Both,

in spite of, and because of, their various differences. The Classic Custom's are amazing

guitars, for their price point...IMHO.

CB

here's my question, why is the les paul traditional 2200, but 2100 when you have them but a bigsby on it?

LOL! Welcome to Gibson Guitars! It's like when Chevrolet used to charge more for a manual shifter on the Corvette.

I saw one of those Custom Classics online once and it looked pretty sweet.

Baked Maple board, as opposed to Ebony, on the Custom. Multi-ply binding

on the front, but No back binding, on the "Classic Custom" where the regular

Custom has multi-ply binding on both front and back. Chrome hardware only,

as opposed to Gold, mostly, or Chrome, on special orders, for the standard

"Custom." BUT, if you want an awesome looking, sounding, and playing LP with most

"custom" features, at a great price point...the "Classic Custom's" are outstanding!!

I own both...(1980 Custom, and a recent 2011 Classic Custom "Gold-Top")..and Love Both,

in spite of, and because of, their various differences. The Classic Custom's are amazing

guitars, for their price point...IMHO.

CB

thanks B)

Played an ebony one for about an hour yesterday and its a beautiful looker and player. The BM fretboard was the darkest I've seen. The detail on the body and headstock was perfect.

Now on the other hand I also played the new Midtown Customs semis and was not impressed at all. Played both sunbursts and they had a cheap feel to them with unimpressive woodgrain. Just my opinion though.

Played an ebony one for about an hour yesterday and its a beautiful looker and player. The BM fretboard was the darkest I've seen. The detail on the body and headstock was perfect.

Now on the other hand I also played the new Midtown Customs semis and was not impressed at all. Played both sunbursts and they had a cheap feel to them with unimpressive woodgrain. Just my opinion though.

I am looking hard at one of these, so far all posi feedback, soooooo tasty looking.

Giving me major GAS.....

Charlie, these Custom Classics are supposed to have acrylic inlays and Custom Shop headstock logo. I've heard the inlays feel/look cheap but haven't tried one, myself. Any truth to that?

I haven't tried any Baked Maple Gibsons yet (trying to stay away from the music stores) but wouldn't mind one day. They seem to be priced right and should retain their value well. The gold ones look great, like Charlie's, but the black looks horrible, sorry. It looks like every other Asian made wannabe black Les Paul Custom.

Charlie, these Custom Classics are supposed to have acrylic inlays and Custom Shop headstock logo. I've heard the inlays feel/look cheap but haven't tried one, myself. Any truth to that?

I haven't tried any Baked Maple Gibson's yet (trying to stay away from the music stores) but wouldn't mind one day. They seem to be priced right and should retain their value well. The gold ones look great, like Charlie's, but the black looks horrible, sorry. It looks like every other Asian made wannabe black Les Paul Custom.

I think you're probably right, about the inlays, and fret markers, being acrylic. Frankly, it

doesn't bother me, at all. Mine looks "just fine." The acrylic markers, and inlays both have nice "swirl patterns"

and look great...and the guitar plays/sounds, even better! [thumbup][biggrin] So...???

I'm fine with the less expensive inlays/fret markers. And, to be honest, they "feel" fine, to me..in

fact, I didn't notice any difference, in fret marker feel, between my '80 LP Custom, and the new

"Classic Custom."

The new one just doesn't have the kind of subtle coloring, that MOP has. But, as I stated, the inlays,

and markers have very nice MOP-like patterns, acrylic, or not.

There will always be some folks, that can't deal with less than "Custom Shop," price/quality. That's fine. But, I'm not one of them. There is nothing "cheap" about this "Classic Custom," except in those people's minds/perceptions. I, nor Gibson, can help that. They either like them, or they don't. That's totally up to them. As I have stated, repeatedly, my Classic Custom is one of the best LP purchases, along with my 2000 "Classic" (Standard), I've made, in the last 30 years, since I bought my '80 LP Custom.

Besides, I always try to judge any guitar, on it's own merits, not by someone else's evaluations, or hype.

Here is my cheap custom next to the cheap studio and the even cheaper sg, they are in front of the cheap pre JCM800 1960a Marshall cab with the cheap Peavey amp and the more expensive Marshall head on top with the most inexpensive Mini Marshall Stack next to them. lol

379562_10150393947376022_508476021_8746214_2071175095_n.jpg

God...what a embarrassing collection of Cheap A$$ junk!! [flapper][biggrin]

(Looks great! [thumbup][biggrin] I bet it sounds even better!! Les Paul's (and SG's) and Marshall's

are an outstanding combination!)

CB

Archived