Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody doing a NYE gig this year ?

EuroAussie

Just wondering as were doing our first one this Sat nite.

Were playing our regular pub, which is nice to be able to play there on the biggest night of the year, but also dreading it a bit as I know it will be packed to the rafters with more than a handful of drunks to deal with.

Im taking my Cort Earth road warrior to ensure no injury occurs to the top shelf stuff and keep our gear at a minimum.

Were going to give the reportoire out and take requests for $4 Euro a pop, straight into the tip bucket ... trust nobody throws up into it ..

Anybody else doing NYE gigs this year or had experienced in the past , any good helpful advice ?

cheers.

this'll be the first new year off for me in about 5 or 6 years . still not sure whether i'm glad of it or not. like u say the drunks can be a pain in the proverbial but they can also be hilariously funny and no one likes a tune more when you give them something they know

money for requests is a good thing for you guys to get a few extra euro, i never thought of doing that , but you are gonna have to deal with them more if you make it so plain that they are welcome to ask requests :-s ,

you can be certain that as soon as u get the place jumping or get the feel of the crowd thats when the guy will appear and nothing will do but he hears danny boy or some bloody dirge :-)

but the pays usually good on new years eve and nothing bad ever happens , its just livelier

i wish you best of luck

I play at a little lakeside restaurant each New Year's Eve. Beer and wine are the hardest drinks available. The restaurant closes at 10pm so folks are usually there for a meal before heading out for the big bash. I just sit in the corner with the tip jar close and guitar in hand.

Last year a guy and his date had one brewsky too many and tipped $20.00. I actually called his attention to it, but he just mumbled something and staggered out the door. [confused] He was most likely looking for a missing 20.00 the next day.

I'll have the Guild six and 12 stringers with me. They're in pretty pristine shape for their ages and I keep them safely behind me and out of reach just in case.

I do not even want to go out on NYE anymore. Never played acoustic on New Year's Eve - always went electric. If all else failed - just launch into Mustang Sally. But really from what I recall, most folks did not really pay attention to what was being played except the guy who had to stand in front of the stage playing air guitar and that one guy who would sit there all night and yell "Play Some Skynyrd." He will probably come to your gig (he seems to be everywhere) but maybe he will blow you off as you will be holding an acoustic.

I have had a few standing NYE gigs over the years. The latest, for the last eight years or so, is the "First Night St. Louis" arts festival.

"First Night" is an alcohol-free, family friendly, indoor/outdoor street festival in the mid-town St. Louis arts district. There will be music, magic, theater, comedy, dance, and art all over about an eight square block area, with two fireworks displays (the first one at 9:00 p.m. for the kiddies). The big feature this year seems to be a trampoline troupe called "Flippen' Out" that was on "America's Got Talent". We are very proud to have been asked to be a part of this event for so many years.

Our involvement in this event will start out with a live television appearance on Thursday, and possibly a radio spot on Friday. We're even going to have a REHEARSAL. We usually get a little more TV face-time during the concert as our TV stations use the event as the backdrop for their 10:00 news broadcasts.

Anybody in the Mid-west area should come join the fun.

http://www.grandcenter.org/directory/festivals-events/first-night/

Well, I'm not playing but I'm running the sound for another local band who will be playing. I'm cool with that! NYE can be a hard gig sometimes. Crowds are so unpredictable on that night! I usually run the sound at the local club where we (the band I play in) first started playing at. With different bands coming in every Friday night, you really get a chance to hone your skills on the audio end of overall band sound. I enjoy this almost as much as playing. NAH! I'll play whenever I can! But it will be a welcome break on NYE! Hope everyone here on the Forum has a wonderful new year. Don't make any resolutions, then you won't have to worry about breaking them!!!

Were going to put up a big sign sayin' 'No Sweet Goddamn Alabama !!' - I frigging hate hearing that song ! [cursing]

This will be one rumble n' tumble gig though, I do expect ladies to be dancing on benches topless by 1am, it is the Czech Republic after all ... ;-)

Might try to record this gig ...

I do not even want to go out on NYE anymore. Never played acoustic on New Year's Eve - always went electric. If all else failed - just launch into Mustang Sally. But really from what I recall, most folks did not really pay attention to what was being played except the guy who had to stand in front of the stage playing air guitar and that one guy who would sit there all night and yell "Play Some Skynyrd." He will probably come to your gig (he seems to be everywhere) but maybe he will blow you off as you will be holding an acoustic.

Jeremy, thank you for sending the video link. That is a really sweet performance, and it shows-off both your guitar and vocal skills.

I'm going to post the URL here so others can enjoy it. But, feel free to delete it if you'd rather not have it posted.

Jeremy's Perfomance

Jeremy, this is really great stuff. Thanks.

No NYE gig for me this year...thank God! As a solo artist it's hard freaking graft on NYE, no original gigs to be found and the covers circuit is just a staggering, semi-comatose mess, bars full of lagered up oafs trying to impress their chavvy, fake-tanned-and-boob-tubed quarry by asking things like "oi mate, yeah, do you, like, do any Napalm Death on that o-coustic guitar fing, yeah? Hurhurhur".

Regarding solo gigs, Jeremy's restaurant show sounds like the perfect NYE gig for a solo act. Bars are just a raging 'mare.

thats well summed up jinder . have wondered why we do it many times . has to be ego . certainly not the money for me plenty times , although a well payed gig turns up once in a while .

imagine what you would have to pay a plumber to come out on new years eve . and he doesnt have the joy of talking to the napalm death guy .

i playd in a traditional irish folk band for a couple years , whistle , banjo

, bodhran , u know the picture .... and was asked did we know any meat loaf :-s the mind boggles

Thats quite funny Jinder, my singer who is a Brit often repeatedly tells me how glad he is that hes' no longer living in the UK, I think part of the reason being what you wrote below ...lol ... thanks are a bit more civilised in this neck of the woods, but just a bit ..;-)

ps: Blindboygrunt: were getting pretty good cash for this gig btw, but we dont really do it for the money, that was never the intenton when we started this project, we just like playin' ..

No NYE gig for me this year...thank God! As a solo artist it's hard freaking graft on NYE, no original gigs to be found and the covers circuit is just a staggering, semi-comatose mess, bars full of lagered up oafs trying to impress their chavvy, fake-tanned-and-boob-tubed quarry by asking things like "oi mate, yeah, do you, like, do any Napalm Death on that o-coustic guitar fing, yeah? Hurhurhur".

Regarding solo gigs, Jeremy's restaurant show sounds like the perfect NYE gig for a solo act. Bars are just a raging 'mare.

Archived