Gibson Brands Forums

pure fantasy...if you could have Gibson build you a signature model, what would it consist of?

Jinder

Jinder (or anyone else)' date=' why the K&K mini as opposed to the standard sized one? Is there any good way to figure out which would sound best with a J200 guitar? When i record i usually use a mic as opposed to a pickup but i'm interested in the K&K.

Keep 'em coming! (i'm going to keep my eye out for a bumper sticker for the back!)[/quote']

First off.... Man is that a beautiful instrument your getting back. I envy you!

K & K's website actually promotes the mini over the standard size now as both have similar output and the mini is just an all around great pickup. I have one installed in my Advanced Jumbo and love it. I have UST's in my other two guitars and both are active with a 9 volt batt. installed. The K & K is passive, so I use a LR Baggs PARA DI when running it into my Genz Benz Shen 200 Stereo. What I can tell you is that even without the PARA DI, the K & K kicks butt over the UST's in my other guitars. It is a much more pure natural sound. If you have a luthier install it, make sure they use super glue to install it instead of the double stick tape and you will will get more volume. I was afraid that it wouldn't be able to do a large Dreadnaught justice but my Luthier highly recommended it for any size guitar. Besides with the AJ's open end bridge a UST would not be workable. I am very happy with the K & K Mini. Not very expensive either even with having it installed by someone else.

I guess my tastes aren't so much for looks but for the neck. Basically what I'd like to see is a light string, super-low action so one might handle fingerpicking roughly as on a classical guitar. So... un-electrify an ES175, a shade wider neck - just a 16th of an inch or so - flat-backed neck, make it a flattop...

It wouldn't be very loud, more like a parlor guitar. It would require a relatively short scale similar to a classical box to lessen buzz potential. A "Florentine" cutaway would allow higher access. Enough depth figured by some engineer to give a nice bass if you don't beat on it so it would buzz. That's for general use. Something bigger but with a similar neck for a slightly heavier set of strings for flatpicking.

I guess trying to play Mother Maybelle's old F-hole Gibson with her extra heavy strings a thousand years ago or so got me convinced I prefer something without quite the power but easier fingering for a more broad range of music. (Yeah, I was in awe when she asked if I'd like to play her guitar. But in spite of playing a lot of 12 string at the time, I couldn't get consistent clear tones with those "piano wires!")

Looks? Not a big deal one way or another as long as it's relatively "traditional."

All these acoustic requests (I guess it's in the acoustic forum) but Gibson makes gorgeous electric signature series guitars too. I'd take an entirely un-weight relieved/un-chambered les paul (I like to feel like my guitar has power when I pick it up), wine red finish with a creme binding, those beautiful classic 57s in the neck and bridge. Put on some custom white witch hat controls (dreaming). Rounded 50s neck profile with the split trapezoid inlays. And inscribed on the truss rod cover, in that wonderful script, it'll say "Marilyn" as a dedication to my wife.

Oh, and of course... white pickguard ON.

TWilson - LOL, that cracked me up, bro! Hey, a few years ago I went to a party at Rickey Medlocke's home in Ft. Myers, FL, and we were sitting around his home studio and he saw me admiring his J250 Monarch hanging on the wall and handed it to me. He got it back 2 1/2 hrs later - I just couldn't put it down. What a guitar! Definitely the cream of the crop. It was the first time I'd ever been able to really sit and play one, and I'll never forget it. They had to pry it from my cold, stiff fingers lol

Maybe someday...

bob_dylan1a.jpg

this exact one would be my signature model, no doubt about it.

but i got as close as i could recently...my 1953 J-45 is tonally alike...that, a kalamazoo KG-11, a '94 natural L-00 and a '05 Advanced Jumbo do make sure i'm set for life.

An LG-2 with Adirondack red spruce top and scalloped braces, all hide-glue construction, really nice select mahogany, Madagascar rosewood bridge and fingerboard - but make it closer to Nick Lucas depth for a bit more oomph. Very late '40s neck contour, not as big as a banner, but still fairly substantial - and work the whole thing towards as feather-light as possible.

Russ

'05 J-45HC that thinks it's from 1950

Archived