Gibson Brands Forums

Ace Frehley Rules!

deepblue

I don't get the Ace Frehley attraction. Truely do not understand it. He really isn't very good.

Agreed, Ace was/is not the most gifted lead guitarist, but he had mojo.

There is no one who looked cooler playing a Les Paul.

As far as Gene & Pauls reaction. They had seen years of alcohol and drug use from both Peter and Ace. Back then Kiss kept a low profile. They wanted to remain a bit of a mystery. So when they did sit down with the media it was a special event. They wanted to be seen in their best light. Gene said years later that he felt betrayed by his band mates that evening, and as fate would have it, Peter left the band not long after.

I was lucky enough to see then on the Dynasty tour. Great concert!

I loved Ace in that video. He was just having a laugh. But, I guess I see him as one thing, his band mates saw him as another.

All Ace plays is pentatonic licks but so does 90% of rock guitar players. Hell nobody wears it out worse than Zakk Wylde. Lets think of other guys that wore out the same licks over and over.Angus Young,Jimi Hendrix,SRV. But hey they played one scale that's one more than current rock players play.

All Ace plays is pentatonic licks but so does 90% of rock guitar players. Hell nobody wears it out worse than Zakk Wylde............

being that i am the zakk wylde king of zakk wylde fan club for zakk wylde club' date=' i disagree

if you pay attention to what he plays, you will see that his shred-fests are usually non-pentonic scales, but rather more along the lines of this

[i']e3-4-5

a4-5-6-6-7-8-9

d5-6-7-7-8-9-10-11-12

g8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

b13-14-15-16-17

e16-17-18[/i]

this is a shred scale in the style of zakk wylde,

post edit

dam, now that i wrote it out, i realize i didnt tab it right, but the point remains, his shred is more of consecuitve notes, rather then pentitonic scales

being that i am the zakk wylde king of zakk wylde fan club for zakk wylde club' date=' i disagree

if you pay attention to what he plays, you will see that his shred-fests are usually non-pentonic scales, but rather more along the lines of this

[i']e3-4-5

a4-5-6-6-7-8-9

d5-6-7-7-8-9-10-11-12

g8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

b13-14-15-16-17

e16-17-18[/i]

this is a shred scale in the style of zakk wylde,

post edit

dam, now that i wrote it out, i realize i didnt tab it right, but the point remains, his shred is more of consecuitve notes, rather then pentitonic scales

You mean he plays chromatically and hits every note on the neck? I'm not sure if that's any better than just playing pentatonic scales. Half the wankers at Guitar Center can play every note on the neck at lightning fast speeds.

I admire him as a guitarist, but I very rarely listen to his material outside of Ozzy. He can play guitar (though I think he's beginning to become a self-parody with playing a pinch harmonic every other note) but I never found him to be that great of songwriter. If anything, my favorite thing about Zakk is his personally...he's a badass but probably one of the most humble people in the industry, and has a great sense of blue-collar humor.

not to highjack the thread, but you hit it on the head

zakk wylde has a great personality, and he is a badass-so he can get away with his over-pinch harmonic-ing

yes, we all should be arrested for abusing the same scales over and over

time to rerail the thread, argue this isnt the coolest thing ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NRj1-xd2zk

LOL I did'nt even really look at your tab you wrote out. that's just about impossible to play. Zakks style is really fast, pick every note and he mainly plays 2 notes per string all pentatonic. he does use hybrid picking some. he can play all different styles of music well but if you buy a Zakk CD or go to a Zakk concert all you'll see is pentatonic.

Archived