Gibson Brands Forums

band just kicked me...

Kyler Patrick

Thank you all so much for the tips and bits of wisdom that you've been posting. It means a lot and I'll remember every one of them. Now that I look back, it really isn't such a bad thing that I'm out. I'm now looking at it as a blessing rather than a curse. [biggrin] I owe you all one hahaha

Consider going solo with or without a band

V

:-({|=

For better or worse, this is the only way I have been successful. Even when I was with a great band, when it DID go wrong - usually for personal issues like babies, marriage, work - it was always so heartbreaking.

You are the only one that YOU can rely on! Frankly, I don't know how so many bands stay together for so long.

You know, those things happen. I don't know if you that that I went to high school with many members of Tower Of Power. They were trying to get signed by Bill Graham, (I think this was 1969 or so),

and Bill told Mimi Castillo that in order for them to be signed, he's have to fire the drummer.

As I said, those things happen...the trouble is..... the drummer back then was Jack Castillo....Mimi's older brother!

Jack lives close to me still, and I speak to Mimi from time to time....and Jack is STILL bitter!

in their defense, they did hire Dave Garibaldi... phenomenal player. :)

didn't Victor Conte of "BALCO" fame figure in there for a while too?

great story!

I have to add that we have gotten dudes that "read between the lines"

Our ad:

- We play as a hobby

- We have kids and full time jobs

- No drugs

- We do not gig, we would like to one day even if for one day

- We do have a private room to rehearse

Some responders:

- I am trying to make it in the biz

- I am ready to gig/tour

- I have recorded two albums and toured the world but your set up seems like a good fit to me

- What do you got to eat?

[confused]

I forgot to mention the most important personal attribute...

A sense of humour [biggrin]

Building a reputation as a good guy to work with (who also works hard to achieve success)

Happy to work with females

Who may even work with ex band members again in the future....

V

:-({|=

Also if I may add one thing to all the great advice you've been given, learn to be competent (not necessarily great) in a number of styles.

I never lacked for a band if I wanted to be in one because I was familiar with Country, Blues, RnB, Funk, RocknRoll, New Wave, Rockabilly, etc.

I am not nor was I back in the day a great guitarist but new enough "Tricks" in enough styles to improvise my way through different genres.

A large musical palette is always a plus.

The first band i started i was a guitarist and i advertised in the local area 'Freeads'. I got at least 20 replies. I organised a practice room and 19 male guitarists turned up with one female (young) she was about 15 i seem to recall. her father waited in the car outside. So there we were; all guitarists just looking at each other. A few different genres but they all had one thing in common; they were ALL better than me. So, we had a jam, some left, some clicked and we ended up forming three bands between us, just had to recruit a drummer or two. I decided to take the hint and went and got a Bass rig and made myself a Bassist which i actually enjoyed very much. The thing was we had 5 guitarists (inc bass) and no drums. So, another went and borrowed a drum kit and we were four. The 15 year old girl fancied a go on bass and she took to it really well. She developed a groove to be envied. So i borrowed a PA Rig and became the singer. a couple of weeks down the line i turned up to practice and everyone is already there with another guy who is singing. It was obvious it was better than anything i could do. They stopped and looked at me. All i could say was 'Well, i'm not buying a bloody keyboard!'. We all laughed and i left. I went into the pub across the road and even though i was a bit down as i had started it all, i had to laugh; you could'nt make this up. It just so happened that one of the other bands that came out of the first meeting were in the same pub. I went over, we had a chat, i told them my story and they told me they had been looking for a singer but not found one. I'd be welcome to attend their next practice and try out.

The following week, i gave it a go and hey, it all clicked. We practiced a while and had some people come and listen. They commented that it may sound better with another guitarist so i suggested i'd bring my guitar and give it a go. I did, it worked, we were gigging within a couple of months. Then we were practicing twice a week and gigging at least every week, sometimes twice. I got better, hell, we all got better the more we did it. We expanded our repertoire and we were tight.

We were playing a gig about 8 months later and the young girl Bassist was in the audience with one of the original guitarists and we had a chat during a break. Apparently, the original band went through personel changes every other week looking for the elusive ideal set up but the lack of stability meant that they did not progress. In the end they split. The young girl said (much to the embarassment of the guitarist) that they could only play three songs in the end but they played them really well!

I look back on those days fondly and still laugh but, it's fate buddy; kismet. All part of lifes rich tapestry and remember, what don't kill you makes you stronger.

Also if I may add one thing to all the great advice you've been given, learn to be competent (not necessarily great) in a number of styles.

I never lacked for a band if I wanted to be in one because I was familiar with Country, Blues, RnB, Funk, RocknRoll, New Wave, Rockabilly, etc.

I am not nor was I back in the day a great guitarist but new enough "Tricks" in enough styles to improvise my way through different genres.

A large musical palette is always a plus.

+1

in their defense, they did hire Dave Garibaldi... phenomenal player. :)

didn't Victor Conte of "BALCO" fame figure in there for a while too?

great story!

I didn't say it wasn't a good change, (although to be truthful, Jack is a pretty damn good drummer!).

I'm not a TOP expert, but I think Victor played bass some years ago...but Rocco, (his real name is "Francis'...so you KNOW why he goes by "Rocco"!), is

an excellent bass player...when we were in high school, Rocco, (Frank), was just learning and wasn't too good...but he had great musical skills, and

became 10 times the bass player I ever was.

Aw that'd be sooo cool if he did! haha

Kyler, I talked to Bruce yesterday and books are still available from Minit Printing in San Leandro.

Name: Minit Printing & Office Supplies

Street: 14251 E 14th St

San Leandro, ca 94578-2709

Phone: (510) 351-7722

Or if you have a Pay Pal account, you can contact Bruce directly, (PM me if you want his email address)

I didn't ask the price, but I can't imagine they're more than $15.

Kyler, I talked to Bruce yesterday and books are still available from Minit Printing in San Leandro.

Name: Minit Printing & Office Supplies

Street: 14251 E 14th St

San Leandro, ca 94578-2709

Phone: (510) 351-7722

Or if you have a Pay Pal account, you can contact Bruce directly, (PM me if you want his email address)

I didn't ask the price, but I can't imagine they're more than $15.

Sweet! I'll have to ask my M and D. Sometimes they can be very strict about things like this, I hope they say yes haha

• 3 weeks later...

but idk any other talented musicians personally. Any ideas on what I can do?? I have to play, I really don't know much more than guitar.

...and just how talented guys are you looking for? ;)

One thing you could do, is to get a cheapass bass and

get groovin' :D since you're that young, try to make as

many connections as possible. :)

One more bit of advice. Check with other students who are in the school band if there is one. You will probably be surprised to find students who play more than the instrument they use in band class, and may find some who'd want to jam or start a band.

Also on singing, something Jimmy Vaughan told Stevie Ray comes to mind. "You need to sing. With you singing, no one else is going to be telling you what to play" (not completely true, but you'll have much more say in the matter).

Archived