Gibson Brands Forums

Stand or sit

brannon67

Both. (But not at the same time.) It depends on the room and the mood I'm in.

If it is a nice "listening" room and/or a bit more of an intimate venue, I'll generally sit down. It just seems more "comfy" and I think it is a bit easier to connect with the audience. If it is a club with lots going on, I'll stand up. You have to find a way to break through the din and become the focus of attention. Plus you can rock out a bit more standing up, although guys like Neil Young or Jackson Browne certainly don't lose their edge when they sit down.

I believe it is important to rehearse your stuff both sitting and standing and get adept and comfortable at playing either way. Just make sure you get a comfortable strap when you're standing.

I typically sit while playing a gig. I carry my own fold-up tall chair/stool, or I'll use one of the tall ones at a coffeehouse. I feel my guitar is more secure than when I'm standing. Plus, I'm not as likely to trip over something. But, you've got to do what works best for you. [thumbup]

I usually sit.... don't really play out much anymore, but if when I do...I prefer to sit....let's face it, I ain't never gonna look like Eddie Van Halen again anyway!

Are you tellin' us you're never going to jump like Townshend again, Bob?

Archived