Gibson Brands Forums

Brain May Guitar

daveinspain

Cleaned, polished, new strings and ordered the tremolo bar... This is the coolest guitar and my official beater. Plays really well and gets some pretty awesome sounds... Bought used for $390 (300 euros) I'll be using this guitar for my guitar lessons, came with a Brain May gig bag with back pack style straps so it can travel with me on my bike and I wont be worried about damaging a 2 or 3 thousand dollar Gibson if I fall off my bike... [scared]

Close up

L1060920.jpg

No flash

L1060917.jpg

With flash

L1060925.jpg

I've always wondered what one of those would be like to play.. how does it sound? I remember Brian May saying he could mimic the sound of Stratocasters, Telecasters and a few other guitars with the switches on that guitar. If anything it looks good. [thumbup]

I really like those.

I seem to remember reading that the original has a pretty thick neck-section. How's your one, Dave?

And +1 on what the switches do. I'm guessing there is a pair for each p-up. Are they treble/bass related? In-out phase?

:-k

P.

Do tell,what do all the switches control? Looks Nice

The three switches closest to the pic-ups and bridge turn on and of the respective three pic-ups neck, middle and bridge... The second row of three switches control phase... So yes, you can get a very straty or Tele type thin screamer or all three pups on and in phase for a humbucker smooth sound. Playing with different combinations of the switches gives you a big variety of sounds...

What an awesome, iconic guitar; a true original. I really can't think of another famous player that uses one. I'm sure there is someone somewhere, but when I think of Brian May, I think of that guitar. I guess that's a benefit of designing and building the original version. Also, like HeadCase said, get a coily cable! [thumbup] Great photos BTW.

Archived