Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Hello Gibson People! I'm in Atlanta. I've had Gibson Electrics but never a Gibson Acoustic--until now. I have numerous guitars but my main is a Martin D-41 Reimagined. I bought it while looking for a Hummingbird and just happened to pick it up. After I picked it up, I fell in love and bought it. It's amazing!! But I still thought soon after, "what's the mojo with Gibson Acoustics?" So I went down the rabbit hole and decided what I really wanted was a J-45. I played a couple Standards but was not excited. Then, I began reading comments on the Custom Shop 1942 Banner Top. So I figured, hey---what can Gibson do with their high end stuff, maybe as good as Martin can do? So, I bought the Banner Top. HOLY CRAP!!! THIS THING IS SO ALIVE!!!! The red ADI top is a ***** to calm and tame but the torrification really briings this thing to a new level. This thing is a Ferrari!! HATS OFF TO THE BOZEMAN TEAM! A NEW BEST IN AMERICA!!!This is my go to guitar without a doubt. It's got the American magic BIG TIME!  sorry, didn't mean to rant but Sheesh, somebody needs to tell the world about this...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy folks,

Posting from south central Kentucky. Kind of been lurking here for a while. Several months ago I acquired a 67 J50 ADJ to which I am absolutely hooked on. I've been a Guild devotee for decades. A number of my favorite artists work with J50's and I just love that deep dark tone they get. I have played the J50 almost exclusively the last three or four months. 

And, I am a Gordon Lightfoot fan and of his Gibson B45-12's.  I've been enamoured over the years with the sound of his 12's. I happened upon a 66 Cherry-burst last week and took  full advantage it. She needs some work but she'll be fine.

Anyway, just sayin' hey.

Chap Jones
Kentucky

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Long (interrupted) time player, first time Gibson owner.  Grin.

This spring my spouse mentioned  they always wanted to learn to play guitar,  and particularly slide resonator. Happy to encourage and help, I’m now picking up where I left off 50 years ago.  

I had taken lessons for several years and got to be marginally good, mostly finger-picking/modern folk songs.  Enough that I could play and sing for friends without offending anyone, and was once offered a bigger break that, too young, I self-consciously backed out of.  Then life happens and it all just got left behind.

We decided after digging it out, my entry level Yamaha classical was not going to work for either of us (how on earth did I ever manage bar chords on that 2” neck with kids hands? )

So we broke the seal on guitar shopping thinking we would pick up a decent starter guitar and maybe a better new toy for me. I hadn’t shopped guitars as an adult and hoo-boy, there sure is a whole lot of temptation out there.  

But here is the dream I never thought would land.  I stumbled on the Doves in Flight when I was researching Gibsons for the new J 45 Studio I picked up, and began obsessing, thinking, “maybe someday.”  To be sure I was already wowed by the J 45.  I had never played a Gibson acoustic before, it was magic enough.  I figured I was lucky to have that and was all set.  

Well, seems “Someday” fell much sooner than I planned.   An idle google at just the right moment, I don’t think I ever called a shop so fast.  

Now, if I could only remember what I was doing a lifetime ago.  My fingers feel like they know what they are supposed to do, my brain just keeps getting in their way.  And now I’m back in school too.  Never too old, right?  

Happy to be here, and looking forward to meeting everyone!

IMG_3113.jpeg

IMG_3116.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!
I‘m a new member here in the forum but not exactly new with Gibson guitars….
Already been having a LP for 11 years, but as my main job is playing piano for a living almost never touched it

During the corona lockdowns i started playing guitar and now have several Gibsons…..  including a J 50 60s from 2019 and a L00 Original brandnew

😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm dave aka mclkar.ive been to this site before.But decided to reconnect.I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to play the 50,s faded J 45.Im looking to buy one. Played one , seemed to be a bit more open than my J 45 standard. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

thanks for the add. Just traded a 2000 LP Std for a beautiful Slash J45 in Vermillion Red

what a music box this is👍🏻 🎶 

I’m having a little trouble with the 16” Radius (wrapping the thumb on the low E is a real chore to get it cleanly)

I had the buzzing issue as well, turned out to be the LR Baggs Vol/Tone component 

Contacted LR Baggs and they offered to send me a replacement Vol/Tone  control (needs to be soldered in)

one drawback I’ve noticed is cosmetic:

the vermilion/ black sunburst top shows each and every pick scratch like a microscope 

any advice on what to use to polish/compound out the scratch’s?

peace on earth

phil 

On 12/8/2023 at 1:07 PM, Pbarr said:

the vermilion/ black sunburst top shows each and every pick scratch like a microscope 

any advice on what to use to polish/compound out the scratch’s?

peace on earth

phil 

Congrats on the Vermillion/black burst. It takes a while for the lacquer to start hardening to the point where that will be less of a problem. Many here will recommend the Virtuoso products- the Polish almost seems to nourish the lacquer, and give a smooth finish to the back, sides, and guitar neck. The Cleaner helps to lessen deeper scratches. A little goes a long way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Goodday all,

Mike, from just northwest of Montreal, Canada.  Started playing guitar at 14, still playing at 61.  Also a bassplayer and owned a few Thunderbirds, now playing FenderBirds (as well as Fenders and MusicMans).  Don't play much electric guitar, but play acoustics and some piano/keys in a duo with ladyfriend singer.  

My first acoustic guitar was an Ibanez Concord '75, purchased in '77.  I still own and play it regularly and it was my only acoustic until 2008.  Then started to go through other Ibanez acoustics, Godins and Normans, Epis, Takamines and more recently Martins, all decent stuff for the money.  In 2021, I bought my 1st real Gibson, a fabulous J-45 Southern Jumbo.  I liked it but never really bonded with it, unfortunately and eventually sold it.

Then, during a vacation in the Niagara Falls area, I visited a guitar shop and stumbled onto a 2016 blonde SJ-200 that came in a trade.  Fell instantly in love with it and still can't believe I own such a guitar.  Recently got a Hummingbird Studio and a J-45 Standard.  I hope to acquire an L-00  model by the end of the year, closing out my project of owning an acoustic Gibson of each body style.  Yes, I am that shallow.

I only recently realized that acoustic guitar-wise, it only Gibsons from the start, with that Dove-inspired Concord.  Rounding out the current stable of SJ-200 Standard, Hummingbird Studio, J-45 Standard and Ibby Concord is an Epi EJ-200 12-str. in vintage sunburst.

Will post a pic as soon as I can figure how to respect that 500kB limit...

Edited by Mikensgtrs
x