Gibson Brands Forums

1968 Country and Western

flatbaroque

I'm a little interested in this'un. On our local Oz Ebay.Quick research says this is just pre Norlin years if the 1968 is correct. I've never played one.I imagine they are kind of a cross between a J-45 and a Hummingbird in some ways. I checked out Youtube clips of a few similar but nothing said "wow".......but I'm a Spuce, Mahogany devotee.

Couldn't find much on nut widths either.I wouldn't want less than 1 11/16.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I imagine price would be knocked down a few hundred maybe.I'm sure I won't buy it but who knows.

Another thing is the guy says he is selling to finance a D28 purchase.I've never played a D28 that I liked near as much as my J-45...so that's a pause for thought...but maybe that's just a matter of taste.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1968-GIBSON-COUNTRY-WESTERN-Acoustic-Guitar-Vintage-/300676062291?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item4601b09c53

I'd like to see that serial number better. I'm thinking it's earlier then 68.

That pick guard material looks like earlier material then 68.

I thought these in 68 had the lower belly bridge as opposed to the upper belly that this one has.

Yes, indeed, looks identical to mine ... before the sex change.

Between a J-45 and a Hummingbird is a good way of describing it. Reason being that mine firstly is a long scale, which gives it a bit of a brighter tone, not the same honey coated layers of the short scale typical bird, although its still there. Mine has a more punchier tone more reminsicent of a J-45 than a Bird, and a dry, crisp finish. Very woody.

Also you need to keep in mind the bracing is already somewhat thicker than the pre 68' versions.

Nevertheless I really enjoy mine because it has that dry, woody, creaky, aged tone that none of my other Gibsons have.

I placed a thicker pickguard on mine, which I strongly believe made the tone somewhat warmer, a bit closer to the Bird, along with tulips while the original butter beans went on the SJ.

Id go for it, but dont expect it to sound like a typical modern Bird.

IMG_4024.jpg

CWSongwriter-1.jpg

EuroAussie is your man. Although,.... he has given his a sex change....to a Bird!

I also ain't much of a fan the square shoulder SJ/J-45 guitars nor of the heavier bracing Gibson started using in 1968. Then again, I ain't the one who would be playing the guitar so who cares.

I do believe though that Gibson went back to the 1 11/16" nut width in '68 which would meet your prference.

I believe if I was wanting one, I would look at the one duluthdan posted at wildwood, it would be a lot safer bet

I just called Wildwood - that guitar is still there. On consignment so the price is firm. I might take a jaunt over there next weekend - its an 8 hour round trip car ride, over 4 mountain passes. I can't imagine getting out of that store unscathed.

thanks lads....especially EA for his vivid tone descriptions. I guess it peaked my interest cause it was for sale in Oz....I pretty much wouldn't buy from Ebay overseas cause if something is crook it would be too hard to get it sorted.

But if I was in the States I'd be going to Wildwood like DD....sorry if I've gassed you up DD..haha

thanks lads....especially EA for his vivid tone descriptions. I guess it peaked my interest cause it was for sale in Oz....I pretty much wouldn't buy from Ebay overseas cause if something is crook it would be too hard to get it sorted.

But if I was in the States I'd be going to Wildwood like DD....sorry if I've gassed you up DD..haha

Thanks for the push - I've been wanting to check out the New Vintage Southern Jumbos that are there anyway- now I have multiple good reasons to go.

Just for future info

Wildwood do not ship overseas, I called them last year inquiring about a HB

Just for future info

Wildwood do not ship overseas, I called them last year inquiring about a HB

Aha, , , I had the opposite situation. Better check twice whoever swarm around the 1965 C&W. In fact it was that one I talked to them about. Someone here mentioned it before Christmas and I had to zoom in. It looks so promising.

fp might be right about the one on the Bay - the width looks like a 9/16 though I'm not sure.

That would be atypical for 68. Then again the one at Wildwood has a 11/16, which is atypical for '65. . . .

EA is right about the bulkier bracing. It's not a Norlin no, , , but you would have to like the somewhat stiffer response if we're talking 1968/69. They are not bad guitars, just different and less 'gibsonesque'. I have a S.J. from that period and like to go to it once in while. It's a fine strummer and beautiful when fingerpicked with capo f.x. on 4th fret. Also it has a lot of character if recorded in the right context.

Aha, , , I had the opposite situation. Better check twice whoever swarm around the 1965 C&W. In fact it was that one I talked to them about. Someone here mentioned it before Christmas and I had to zoom in. It looks so promising.

ahhaha

E-minor.. I always enjoy your posts.. full of poetry, insight-fulness and humor

but sometimes your language/prose has me flummoxed [cool]

do you mean Wildwood DO ship overseas ?

ahhaha

E-minor.. I always enjoy your posts.. full of poetry, insight-fulness and humor

but sometimes your language/prose has me flummoxed [cool]

do you mean Wildwood DO ship overseas ?

Flummoxed ! – what a scoop for my ever growing English vocabulary. I learn a lot here.

Yes, they never showed any sign of overseas-complications.

A good weekend to you Del Nilp -

Flummoxed ! – what a scoop for my ever growing English vocabulary. I learn a lot here.

Yes, they never showed any sign of overseas-complications.

A good weekend to you Del Nilp -

didn't even know english was not your first language 'minor7th [thumbup]

have a good un ya self..

happy St Patrick's Day to one and all

I also ain't much of a fan the square shoulder SJ/J-45 guitars

... My '63 Square CW is the best sounding J45 - J50 - SJ I have ever played so I'm not buying all this bithchin' by you purists....

[flapper]

There are good and bad Gibsons in every model....nuff said!

She's got the nice 1 11/16 nut with a thin profile neck and has been beat to hell and back but she's a pure Gibson tone monster. You can feel her soul vibrate in your chest when you play this guitar.

I can only imagine the players and songs that she experienced over her 48 years on this planet via Nashville to LA and now in London..... If only she could speak man I'm sure she'd have some great stories to tell.....

PURE PLEASURE......and she's a keeper!

IMG_0114.jpg

[thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived