Gibson Brands Forums

What was your fist ever lp or cd?

krock

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1956 or '57 we got our first non-78 record player for Christmas. My parents gave me The Sons of the Pioneers "Greatest Hits" (or something like that-I was 8 or 9) and my older sister got Bill Haley "Rock around the Clock." First LP I bought was Leadbelly on Folkways, around 1960, led to an obsession with the blues that led to jazz. Much more catholic tastes these days.

Brad

In 1956 or '57 we got our first non-78 record player for Christmas. My parents gave me The Sons of the Pioneers "Greatest Hits" (or something like that-I was 8 or 9) and my older sister got Bill Haley "Rock around the Clock." First LP I bought was Leadbelly on Folkways, around 1960, led to an obsession with the blues that led to jazz. Much more catholic tastes these days.

Brad

Festus Hagen (Ken Curtis) was one of the original Sons, also sang for the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra for a spell. I got to see him at our county fair several years ago. Still had a velvet voice. I always dug ol' Festus.

Gallery3.jpg

remind me nver play whos that band with you[smile]

Ha ha - I enjoy a good music quiz. If it covers '60s, '70s and early - mid '80s I'm pretty good.

What does surprise me is how often I remember lyrics to songs I haven't heard for ages.

Saturday I was in the car and the yplayed the Beach Boys' "All Summer Long", so not one of their better known songs. I swear it must be the best part of 30 years since I heard it, but they were one of my oldest brother's favourites and I could remember every word! When it finished I was waiting for "Sloop John B" to start as that's the track that followed it on his (mono" ablum....

Wonderful stuff.

Ha ha - I enjoy a good music quiz. If it covers '60s, '70s and early - mid '80s I'm pretty good.

What does surprise me is how often I remember lyrics to songs I haven't heard for ages.

Saturday I was in the car and the yplayed the Beach Boys' "All Summer Long", so not one of their better known songs. I swear it must be the best part of 30 years since I heard it, but they were one of my oldest brother's favourites and I could remember every word! When it finished I was waiting for "Sloop John B" to start as that's the track that followed it on his (mono" ablum....

Wonderful stuff.

I can hear sloop , sang along to that one a hundred times but cant recall All summer long . did you like the kingston trio?

did you like the kingston trio?

I can't say I know their work. You've successfully picked a group who don't appear in my iTunes library. Congratulations. I'd love to give you a prize.....

But I won't..... [wink]

I will, however, check them out on Spotify.

This is the Beach Boys song in question.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smDXr13EJE

I had to think about that for a moment,I used to collect mostly 45 Rpm's.I know it wasnt asked but my first 45 rpm was The cover of the rolling stone - by Dr hook and the medicine show.My first album was either,Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young - Four Way Street or Three Dog Nights - Good Feeling.Then I discovered Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and the lighter side of rock was over for me.

My first LP, I'm ashamed to admit it, was a "Village People" album.... 'Macho Man,' I think was what I bought it for. That was before I knew they was 'light in the loafers'. [blush]

After that, mostly John Denver like stuff on cassette.

Archived