Gibson Brands Forums

Dallas Guitar Show

Work in Progress

I'm planning on going to the Dallas Guitar Show in a few weeks, April 19-22. I've never been to a guitar show of any kind. I've heard there are tons of vintage instruments.

What else can I expect?

New name-brand guitars? Boutique guitar makers? Used guitars? Luthier suppliers? Would pup makers have stands?

Anyone who has been to a large guitar show or has heard of the details of them, please give me your input. It's only a 3.5 hour drive so I'm getting PUMPED! [thumbup][thumbup]

I'm planning on going to the Dallas Guitar Show in a few weeks, April 19-22. I've never been to a guitar show of any kind. I've heard there are tons of vintage instruments.

What else can I expect?

New name-brand guitars? Boutique guitar makers? Used guitars? Luthier suppliers? Would pup makers have stands?

Anyone who has been to a large guitar show or has heard of the details of them, please give me your input. It's only a 3.5 hour drive so I'm getting PUMPED! [thumbup][thumbup]

I'll be there as well. I go ever year. It's a great show if you're looking for old/vintage guitars and parts. There are always several guitar shops set there as well. The Gibson trailers are always there. That show is where I got my SG.

Tables of elderly Japanese fellows that do nothing but buy, with stacks of old Gibson cases behind them. Usually props, we've watched them set them up in the past.

If Ed Roman was there, chicks.

Jazz guys that can't otherwise get a gig playing in "the lounge".

Everything else you mentioned.

Dealers doing what dealers do at these things, deal with each other. At least, they used to. That's how the prices got so stupid. Maybe not so much of that in this new world crappy economy.

Have fun, and whatever you do, don't take it seriously. I was at a booth, guy had like thirty teles put together by Leo himself I'm sure. Bunch of us sitting around plonking at various bits of Fedner history. Very serious person there, hoping that the 5 or so smelly fellers that looked like they hadn't slept in a few days(we hadn't) would actually give him the kinda money he was looking to get. This was late 90's, so vintage guitar idiocy was just starting to really rage outta control. He asks me what I think of the particularly delightful tele I was manhandling. I look at the tag, $9900 dollars. I very seriously looked at him, said "would you $9850?" Needless to say, we were asked to leave his booth, and I still hear "would you take..." today when go to Philly shows.

rct

good lord.....

yes i agree with above poster... "don't take it too seriously" or words to that affect. run by sharks... for the sharks.... think of crime families who gather at a restaurant to discuss business. only they're buying and selling guitars. these people have made as living of going place to place, sending their kinfolk into hock shops buyin all the sweet goods.... then turning around and selling them at stupid mark ups... i'm not making this up... that's just..... well what they do.

watch the sharks encircle people as they simply come through the door with a case. listen to the offers they give people for their stuff. wow...

anyhow guitar shows are fun in spite of that bullsh*t but definitely not because of it.. don't get sucked into the playground. these people won't budge on price. trade if you must, but amongst regular joes. go alone, or with other gear freaks. eat before you go....

enjoy the eye candy and report back to us how it went!

What can I expect to pay on new items? The lowest allowable advertised price for namebrands? (i.e. $2,649.99 for a LP Standard Plus)

Don't go for the big stores that will be there (guitar center, Gibson trailer, etc). Instead, if you are looking for a new guitar, get it from one of the smaller mom and pop shops. I bought my SG from a family owned mom and pop shop called Murphey's guitars. They're there every year. Got my SG brand new from them for $200 off of guitar center's price.

You SHOULD be pumped. I've gone to the Dallas show nearly every year since 1994. It's a great show. What to expect?...the big dealers such as Dave's, Charley's, and Fuller's are always there. Gary's Classic Guitars ALWAYS has THE MOST primo vintage stuff. Gibson nearly always brings their custom shop electric trailer and their custom shop acoustic trailer. Gibson is not selling to the public, but you can try out anything in the trailers. The electric trailer has everything hooked up to those little Line 6 pods with ear phones. Fender, PRS (I've spoke with Mr. Smith at the show) Peavey, Martin, and Taylor usually have a few tables each. There are tons of small luthiers showing their stuff. There are tons of smaller dealers. There are boutique amp builders, Allparts, JK Luthierie, Kendrick Amps, GC, Reverand, St. Blues, Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com), Hazard Ware (cool Tz), string guys, pick guys, pedal guys, strap guys, etc.....

The Arlington show in the fall is nearly as big as far as floor space and number of tables and dealers. But Dallas beats Arlington with the live entertainment. At Dallas, I've seen Joe Bonamassa, the Nuge, Kim Simmonds, Angry Malmsteen, Andy Timmons, Rick Derringer, George Lynch, Seymour Duncan (not a bad player), Paul Reed Smith (also, a pretty good player), and, among still others, the incomparable Junior Brown.

SDDiskCirca20052091.jpg

I'll be there. Look for me. I'll be the old guy with a beer in his hand, looking at lefties and funky amps.

You SHOULD be pumped. I've gone to the Dallas show nearly every year since 1994. It's a great show. What to expect?...the big dealers such as Dave's, Charley's, and Fuller's are always there. Gary's Classic Guitars ALWAYS has THE MOST primo vintage stuff. Gibson nearly always brings their custom shop electric trailer and their custom shop acoustic trailer. Gibson is not selling to the public, but you can try out anything in the trailers. The electric trailer has everything hooked up to those little Line 6 pods with ear phones. Fender, PRS (I've spoke with Mr. Smith at the show) Peavey, Martin, and Taylor usually have a few tables each. There are tons of small luthiers showing their stuff. There are tons of smaller dealers. There are boutique amp builders, Allparts, JK Luthierie, Kendrick Amps, GC, Reverand, St. Blues, Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com), Hazard Ware (cool Tz), string guys, pick guys, pedal guys, strap guys, etc.....

The Arlington show in the fall is nearly as big as far as floor space and number of tables and dealers. But Dallas beats Arlington with the live entertainment. At Dallas, I've seen Joe Bonamassa, the Nuge, Kim Simmonds, Angry Malmsteen, Andy Timmons, Rick Derringer, George Lynch, Seymour Duncan (not a bad player), Paul Reed Smith (also, a pretty good player), and, among still others, the incomparable Junior Brown.

I'll be there. Look for me. I'll be the old guy with a beer in his hand, looking at lefties and funky amps.

Thanks for the feedback! Extremely helpful. Only getting more excited now!

SDDiskCirca20052091.jpg

Ha he looks like he rather be anyplace but between you two.

Anyone know if I'll need to bring cash or if the booths will accept credit/debit? Not that I'm planning on buying anything... [blush]

It really depends on the dealer and what there selling. If its a dealer with a business license I am sure they will

take credit if its a guy selling parts,tubes or T shirts probably cash.

I personally think their prices are outrageous, I still go to shows but only to look or buy some small stuff.

Have fun.

It really depends on the dealer and what there selling. If its a dealer with a business license I am sure they will

take credit if its a guy selling parts,tubes or T shirts probably cash.

I personally think their prices are outrageous, I still go to shows but only to look or buy some small stuff.

Have fun.

Thanks for that info. Kinda what I figured. Guess I'll need to hit the bank before I go JIC. I won't be buying anything vintage as I know that bubble is highly inflated. I know a good deal when I see one though, I just wanted to be prepared.

And there could be some good deals here and there. I used to go to shows a lot in the 1990's and the same attitudes prevailed (albeit with much lower, though steadily rising prices).

I did find a few good deals, usually at least one per show (went to Dallas only once, around 1990/1991, was in town for business). I bought my first Fender Tweed at that show, a '63 Champ. Carried it home as carry on with the airlines :). Paid $325 for it, which was reasonable at the time. Went to shows in Chicago and several in Detroit after that.

But I also ended up purchasing from Dealers I met at the Dallas Show later, via telephone. Networking. Helped that they remembered me from Dallas. Sometimes they'd advertise in Vintage Guitar, other times I'd just call to see what they had in at the time. Built a great vintage amp collection that way (all but one gone now, kept a 1971 Marshall 20 watt PA head, incredible sound- think I bought that from one of the Texas Dealers if I'm not mistaken- also bought a '62 Tremolux and a '63 Fender Reverb unit from him.

Enjoy, and don't go too far into debt ;). Take a camera and lots of pics!

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to the show on Saturday. Spent WAY too much money. Bought a very nice leather strap from a guy out of Pasadena, CA. Bought a PRS leather strap with birds. Bought a really cool burl maple fountain pen as a birthday gift for my fiance. Bought a display-size Les Paul.

I also bought a brand new 2012 Les Paul Standard for a fairly good deal ($2,100 + tax) at the Guitar Center booth. I had two options: Tea Burst or Fireball. I chose Fireball because I just bought an Ice Tea burst Traditional back in late December and didn't want the same thing. However, I'm just NOT in love with the color of the Fireball. It was an impulse, in the moment, buy. I decided I wanted to take it home and play with it on my amps before returning it. It sounds AMAZING!! I've never played a guitar that allows coil tapping so I played around with that for quite awhile and love it.

So, rather than returning it, I'm thinking of exchanging it for either Light, Honey, or Tea burst (my Ice Tea burst is darker than the Tea burst, maybe that's my imagination) if my local GC will allow it. But I will not be keeping the Fireball. Lesson learned, don't spend over $2,200 on an impulse.

All-in-all, great show. My first guitar show. I will definitely be returning in the future and will probably be in Arlington in October.

Archived