Gibson Brands Forums

WOW thats much faster than the Gibson robots

Rabs

Two technologies - neither has anything to do with boobs, but they are nice.

Gibson Robots are MECHANICALLY tuned via motorized tuners that tighten and loosen the strings to pitch. Another example is the Transperformance system (now AxCent) which predates the Gibson Robots by many years and has a motorized bridge/stop to change string pitches.

Some guitars are tuned by ELECTRONICALLY altering the pitch of each string without physically/mechanically changing the tension on the strings. Examples are the Line6 Variax models that have been around for several years, and the new Peavy Auto Tune.

This is about the 4th time I've seen this video posted and while the boobs are great and Ms. Coxs knows it and Peavy knows it can we just take a second to acknowledge the fact that this lady has some serous chops? [scared]

Some guitars are tuned by ELECTRONICALLY altering the pitch of each string without physically/mechanically changing the tension on the strings. Examples are the Line6 Variax models that have been around for several years, and the new Peavy Auto Tune.

This I don't like the sound of. It just has so much potential to go wrong. Whether it's a guitar mechanically tuning itself or electronically, the idea doesn't appeal to me. It just seems like something that can and will go wrong. And don't even get me started on the "download a different patch". I only have one guitar now. A Les Paul. It sounds great, never goes out of tune and has never let me down. I think I'll just stick with that.

This I don't like the sound of. It just has so much potential to go wrong. Whether it's a guitar mechanically tuning itself or electronically, the idea doesn't appeal to me. It just seems like something that can and will go wrong.

That's the same thing my dad says about any all electric guitars. [biggrin]

This I don't like the sound of. It just has so much potential to go wrong. Whether it's a guitar mechanically tuning itself or electronically, the idea doesn't appeal to me. It just seems like something that can and will go wrong. And don't even get me started on the "download a different patch". I only have one guitar now. A Les Paul. It sounds great, never goes out of tune and has never let me down. I think I'll just stick with that.

I've owned a Line 6 Variax and I currently own an LP Robot. They are completely different animals - the Peavey with Antares Autotune is more like a Variax, with a Digital Signal Processor changing the string pitch on the fly through a modeling algorithm! The Variax was doing something similar - what really bothered me about it was that the strings were tuned to an entirely different pitch than I was hearing out of the amp; I could never truly get used to that. And yes, every once in a while it could lose it's little DSP mind and do something very, very strange. The Robot is at least giving you the same pitch acoustically and electronically. They each are quite complex and fail either mechanically or electronically.

Archived