Gibson Brands Forums

Is playing bass with a pick "cheating?"

heymisterk

The definition of cheating ref Wikipedia "Cheating refers to an immoral way of achieving a goal. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation"

As far as I'm concerned you can play with your toes if you like. No rules no cheating it's music man. [confused]

The definition of cheating ref Wikipedia "Cheating refers to an immoral way of achieving a goal. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation"

As far as I'm concerned you can play with your toes if you like. No rules no cheating it's music man. [confused]

Unless you're claiming someones tune as your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Play it anyway you want! I use my fingers and thumb, and haven't used a pick in years. But in the 70s, I actually used a quarter on my Ric in a few songs (a dime was too hard to hang on to!). [unsure]

I do that when I forget the huge plastic triangle pick and need a pick for the song. Sometimes I play with fingers, sometimes a pick, sometimes a thumb, sometimes hammering, slapping and popping. It just depends.

Funny thing is finger playing came naturally to me. A pick is tougher although I play six string guitar almost exclusively with a pick.

Good to know I'm not the only person who occasionally dug change out of a pocket when the music calls for it.

When I've filled in on bass for 2-4 songs, usually fingers regardless what stuff was being played. Any longer... pick 'cuz I very seldom play bass and the hands aren't used to it.

As has been mentioned, though, the attack is quite different, although I've always used a pick on bass with the pick itself at about a 45 degree angle to the string instead of flat against the string, so it's closer to the same sort of sound.

m

Archived