Gibson Brands Forums

The Best Band ever?

jaxson50

Actually the first time I saw them was on SNL. Eric Idle was hosting and they played a video of the prefab 4 singing "I Must Be In Love" from the movie "A Hard Day's Rut."

I love the Rutles although I think you really have to understand the Beatles history and their personalities to get the funniest stuff.

They are just so funny.

I seem to remember the progs were originally shown on TV in the UK in Eric Idle's 'Rutland Weekend Television" series which came on to our screens after the Pythons had quit making TV shows.

I love this from the "AllYou Need Is Cash" clip : "The first album was made in twenty minutes. The second took even longer..."

Bonzoboy should see this; he's a big fan of Neil Innes (from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band) who wrote most of the music and lyrics.

Thanks for posting, Jaxson!

P.

I scoop up anything to do with any of the Bonzo Dog Band,The Rutles or Monty Python.Neil Innes has appeared on several Python films..he played Sir Robin's singing minstrel in The Holy Grail,appeared on their Hollywood Bowl Film suspended from the ceiling in a fairy costume singing "Urban Spaceman" from The Bonzos as well as "How Sweet To Be An Idiot" from his solo album of the same name.He also had a cameo role in Terry Gilliam's hilarious movie "Jabberwocky" as a trumpet heralder.

When Neil was with the Bonzos,even then he was writing songs that were very Beatlesque and his vocals were very close to John Lennon`s.Some of his Beatle sounding Bonzo songs were "Don`t Get Me Wrong","I Want To Be With You","Ready Maids".The guy is an incredible songwriter and is capable of writing very very good serious melodies but he doesn't hardly take any songs seriously.On one of the Bonzo albums there's a song called "Slush" that has absolutely beautiful organ work with an incredibly beautiful string accompaniment but about 30 seconds into it a repeat track of maniacal laughter is played throughout the song thereby ruining what could have proved to be a song on par with Whiter Shade of Pale or Walk Away Renee for sheer beauty.

The world needs a spoof KISS or spoof Rush. The former could be called KISS MY A$$ and the latter could be called Rash. KMA could have Brad Garrett as Gene Simmons (super tall, darker skin pigment, deep voice, need I say more?), Ray Romano as Peter Criss (ITALIAN!), Danny McBride as Paul Stanley, and James Franco as Ace. And Rash could feature Sean Penn as Geddy, Tom Hanks as Neil, and some Canadian guitar player as Lerxst. Who am I kiddin', WE NEED REAL COMEDIANS! THEY'RE JUST ACTORS! I kinda resemble Peter Criss....

The world needs a spoof KISS or spoof Rush. The former could be called KISS MY A$$ and the latter could be called Rash. KMA could have Brad Garrett as Gene Simmons (super tall, darker skin pigment, deep voice, need I say more?), Ray Romano as Peter Criss (ITALIAN!), Danny McBride as Paul Stanley, and James Franco as Ace. And Rash could feature Sean Penn as Geddy, Tom Hanks as Neil, and some Canadian guitar player as Lerxst. Who am I kiddin', WE NEED REAL COMEDIANS! THEY'RE JUST ACTORS! I kinda resemble Peter Criss....

We already have a Kiss spoof band, it's called KISS!

We already have a Kiss spoof band, it's called KISS!

OH YEAH! I think they stopped being themselves in the early 80s. I love Creatures and some other post Unmasked albums but IT AIN'T KISS! Some bands ain't meant to be one forever (the disbanding of The Beatles and Zeppelin was a blessing in disguise. Both knew it was time to throw in the towel.). Even post 96 KISS ain't KISS. (it's kinda lame when a once great band is trying to predict history. Aerosmith and Spoof KISS's new touring buddy Motley Crue fall in the category as well. VH is almost there. Sorry Duane but it is true!). If you like KISS (real KISS), rather than spending a good amount of dough to buy KISS tickets (the KISS/Crue tour should be real pricey! To quote Ace, AWK!), go see Ace and his awesome band at a smaller venue. HE IS THE TRUTH! I mean, when a band (a once great established rock n roll band at that) appears on the CMT Awards and Dancing With The Stars within a certain amount of time, you know they've sold out. And yes, Steven Tyler applies to this!

Anyways, WE NEED A RUSH SPOOF. But Rush already went ahead and spoofed themselves in those hilarious videos that play during the Time Machine shows! RASH FOREVER!

They are just so funny.

I seem to remember the progs were originally shown on TV in the UK in Eric Idle's 'Rutland Weekend Television" series which came on to our screens after the Pythons had quit making TV shows.

I love this from the "AllYou Need Is Cash" clip : "The first album was made in twenty minutes. The second took even longer..."

Bonzoboy should see this; he's a big fan of Neil Innes (from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band) who wrote most of the music and lyrics.

Thanks for posting, Jaxson!

P.

Rutles fun fact: Innes lost 50% of the royalties for these songs because ATV publishing, who owned the Lennon McCartney catalog at the time, sued for copyright infringement.

Rutles fun fact: Innes lost 50% of the royalties for these songs because ATV publishing, who owned the Lennon McCartney catalog at the time, sued for copyright infringement.

I didn't know that! What a Bloody Cheek!

Didnt matter. Credits read Innes/ Lennon/ McCartney

But that's quite fantastic! How many people (other than George and Ringo) can claim to have shared songwriting credits with Lennon/McCartney!.........[woot]

Here's some more Innes / McCartney trivia for you;

"Innes, with Vivian Stanshall, wrote most of the band's songs, including "I'm The Urban Spaceman", their sole hit, (produced by Paul McCartney and Gus Dudgeon, under the collective pseudonym Apollo C. Vermouth) and "Death Cab For Cutie" which was featured in The Beatles' film Magical Mystery Tour."

P.

Archived